Community discussions

rutman286
just joined
Topic Author

Multicast Across VLANs?

Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:24 pm

Hi Mikrotik community! I am playing around with replacing my home lab setup with all Mikrotik. Right now I am using a Fortinet stack that was gifted to me. It is awesome, but I get bored and want to try something new... anyhow, right to the point.
In my home lab I use 3 VLANs. My TVs and AppleTV, multifunction printer and such are on VLAN 5, my wife and I are on VLAN 10, and my kids are on VLAN 15. We use airprint to our printer, and our phones to control the AppleTV. Both of those features use multicast. Right now I have no problem with the Fortinet stack routing that multicast traffic between VLANs. I dabbled briefly in this before with Mikrotik and got stumped. I am not using Mikrotik wireless access points at this time. Not sure if that detail helps, but incase it does, there you go!

So my specific question: I want multicast traffic to be able to flow between my TV VLAN (vlan 5), and my "parents" vlan (VLAN 10). Can someone help me understand the right want to do that on Mikrotik?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Multicast Across VLANs?

Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:22 pm

Isnt that simply a firewall rule to allow VLANX subnet to device on VLANY subnet??
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:31 pm

Isnt that simply a firewall rule to allow VLANX subnet to device on VLANY subnet??
Multicasts generally don't pass routers unless those are configured appropriately. Just consider the pain with simple IGMP snooping ... when you think you've got it right, it explodes right into your face by crippling IPv6 network ...
BR,
Metod

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:33 pm

Sounds butt ugly, but is this not a case of airprint which I am perhaps wrongly assuming is simply device on vlan network A attempting to wifi to device on vlan network B ??

What am I missing here.........
Whoah, seems very restrictive!! Is it fair to ask if MT can accomplish the blue text below??

AirPrint on a single LAN:
(1) In order to discover the EveryonePrint Mobile Gateway and to see available printers on Apple iOS devices, it is required that there are no firewalls or routers blocking the gateway service and printer announcements from the EveryonePrint Mobile Gateway to the iOS devices on UDP port 5353 (Apple Bonjour protocol UDP port 5353 (Multicast DNS)).
(2) It is also required for the service and printer announcements to work, that the iOS devices are on the same WiFi Network as the EveryonePrint Mobile Gateway.

Does AirPrint work across subnets?
To allow devices to print from different subnets, configure your network to pass multicast DNS traffic across subnets. AirPrint-enabled printers work with iPad (all models), iPhone (3GS or later), and iPod touch (3rd generation or later), running the latest version of iOS.
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)

florid

Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:24 am

check this viewtopic.php?f=2&t=105651&p=755792#p755792.
I don't think mDNS/Bonjour across vlan is supported yet.