Community discussions

sscheid
just joined
Topic Author

Basic Setup Struggle

Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:38 pm

Hi,
coming from LANCOM and CISCO world, I am used to trouble with installations ... but now I am at a wall and dont see the door :-p

I want to configure the MT for future use.

1) made a DHCP client on Eth1 and plugged that into the LANCOM, so I can access the MT with normal IP (works)
2) connected VDSL Modem on Eth12, configured Interface and PPPoE for later Internet access (works)
3) created adress pool for DHCP
4) created DHCP server on ETH5 -> Always status=INVALID !??
Lancom is 10.1.1.1 in 10.1.1.0/24
MT is 10.2.2.0/24, address on Eth1 is 10.2.2.1 static and 10.1.1.20 by DHCP from Lancom
pool is 10.2.2.180-254

Before you debug my current faulty configuration, I'd like to ask:
What would be a working config for ONE DHCP server serving all ETHx on the MT?
I dont even need IP addresses on the Eth ports, they can simply behave like a switch.
I dont want to use another external switch because 10 ports are more than I need (RB1100).

thx in advance

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Basic Setup Struggle

Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:49 pm

You didn't tell us which routerboard device you're fighting with.

Default configuration on usual SOHO routerboards is to use ether1 as WAN interface, the rest of ether interfaces (and wireless if there are any) are bridged ... and behave as if they were part of same switch. If you want to use some interfaces stand-alone, that's fine, you just have to remove those from bridge.

It's not clear to me what kind of setup you're trying to create, so it's hard to give some concrete advice.
BR,
Metod

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:25 pm

Three things will help.

1. Diagram of network required.
2. Current config /export hide-sensitive file=yourconfigtoday
3. Description of requirements for users and devices of network without any mention of networking equipment and configuration. (use case approach)
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)

Zacharias
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:50 pm

Let me guess... Is eth5 inside a Bridge? (If yes it'swrong)
Second guess, does eth5 have an IP address ?( if no then assing one )

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:09 pm

Guessing is fun, if you like hitting your head against a wall, but efficiently providing a solution, based on the op providing good intel is far more satisfying.
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)

Zacharias
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:47 pm

Guessing is fun, if you like hitting your head against a wall.
I don't hit my head to any wall...!
I believe i can tell my opinion and guess as much as i want...

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:21 pm

Of course you can! This is a democracy where i can point out how guessing an OPs setup or intentions is a ridiculous troubleshooting approach. ;-)

Zacharias
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:37 pm

Ridiculous and funny is that you post more about me than for the actual post! Other than that i do not care about what you say..

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:45 am

I have nothing more to add until the OP provides granularity on the thread, but in the meantime its just really sad simple suggestions on improving ones approach to assisting others has seeminly fallen on deaf ears (a lack of instrinsic self-motivation), either that or perhaps one is so consumed by arrogance to believe one has already achieved perfection. ;-)

Zacharias
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:47 am

You keep being funny and only spamming the post!!!
You play the smart and perfect not me.. you are the one who keeps correcting me, being ironic, critisizing, judging my way of thinking, being totally rude by telling me arrogant, talking about my motivation while you dont know me and stuff...
You know nothing, you are rude and sad !
Am out of this post, you have anyway destroyed it by your spams...

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:41 pm

Nothing is destroyed except perhaps a fragile psyche? I am patiently waiting for the OP to provide more info.