Community discussions

MikroTik App

esula
just joined
Topic Author

CAPs MAN and Firewall

Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:19 pm

Hello,
I have a Mikrotik Routerboard RB3011UiAS.
I have configured 2 DHCP servers with 2 different Networks at this Mikrotik at specific Interfaces. One Network is used for internal users and one for Guest users.
I want to buy MikroTik cAP ac and to connect to my Network and to manage them using Routerboard as CAPs Manager.
What Configurations I need to do to have a MESH Wireless Network with Mikrotik CAP ac, so the users will be automatically connected to the nearest AP when they are moving from one office to another? What is the coverage capacity of one cAPs ac? Is it possible to configure on the same cAPs two different SSIDs with two different IP Networks? I need a Guest Wi-Fi Network and an Internal Network. By having two different Network Range I can filter the connections at the Firewall.
Thanks in advance.
Regards,

ingdaka
Trainer
Trainer

Re: CAPs MAN and Firewall

Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:52 pm

What Configurations I need to do to have a MESH Wireless Network with Mikrotik CAP ac, so the users will be automatically connected to the nearest AP when they are moving from one office to another?
If you use CAPsMAN you don't need MESH do to roaming mobility, just and an access list rule to CAPsMAN about signal range, for example: -80...80 action=accept, in this case if signal drops lower than -80db user will be disconnected from current AP and will connect to nearest one.
What is the coverage capacity of one cAPs ac?
That depend on many conditions, wall materials, interference in zone, other devices... for this you can do only with site survey!
Is it possible to configure on the same cAPs two different SSIDs with two different IP Networks?
Yes you can do this!

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:39 pm

Do you actually need MESH... since you capitalized it... that means you are planning not to wire some of your Access Points?

esula
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:15 pm

Thanks a lot for your replies.
yes, actually that is what I wanted to do. The AP to take the signal from each other.
But, maybe also that way that Ilir proposed may work.