Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

sunnycoastgreg
just joined
Topic Author

help with basic setup

Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:07 am

need help pls with basic setup topology ... trying to understand if I need bridges or do it all with routing?
mikrotik HapAC used as a wireless AP & ethernet router , with
Mikrotik groove on ether 5 (POE)
4G modem on ether 2

desired functionality
ether 1 - TV (connect to WAN/internet via groove or modem)
ether 2 - 4G modem - provides WAN/internet access
ether 3 - RPI (connect to WAN/internet and also WLAN 1/2)
ether 4 - “other LAN” (lower priority for later)
ether 5 - mikrotik groove - provides WAN/internet access, operating in CPE mode, with NAT & DHCP (all working)
WLAN 1 (2GHz) - provide local AP & allow connectivity to RPI (ether 3), ether 4, WAN/internet ether 5 or ether 2
WLAN 2 (5GHz) - as above for WLAN1

at present im trying to config basic connectivity (excluding ether 4 .. which is a problem for later)
Im confused about if its possible? or correct? to mix bridging & routing on same router
I “only” need a single common network range for all interfaces (except ether 4) .. however groove (ether 5) is setup as a DHCP server (its default ) ..& my preference to kepp it this way.
and not certain for modem?
I want to allow for future VPN access into router (via 4G modem or wifi groove devices)
... and will seperately need some special rules for ether 4

i understand some basics of IP & know how to access and change routeros configs etc
(& have purchased and read “learn routerOS)
but confused about how to “get started” with basic configs across “all” of the interfaces for my desired functionality above
im not overly concerned about sophisticated switch over between wifi WAN and LTE WAN (can initially do this by unplugging device)
at present not concerned with fancy firewall settings, simple NAT ok for moment.

q: do i start from scratch and allocate IPs to each interface
q: do i configure “any” bridges?
Q; do i need to configure DHCP serveers on each? ether interface , im assuming i need at least one DHCP server on the router,
given that groove could be powered off when not using .. hence its DHCP cannot relied upon.
(i want all interfaces except 4, on same network.subnet (ie wlan 1, wlan 2, ether 1, 2 , 3 .... 5?)
q: presumably ether 5 has a DHP client - to get address from groove DHCP server
q: what default routes do i need to set?

hopefully ive described my scenario or desired functionality.....

any help on what my basic config might look like would be appreciated

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: help with basic setup

Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:41 am

Basic difference between bridging and routing is this: bridge connects different parts of same L2 subnet (meaning all devices can talk to each other directly in IP world (not necessarily in physical world) and it usually means single IP subnet) while router enables communication between different IP networks and devices are configured to use router as gateway.
If you want to use both WAN connections (either as load sharing or failover configuration) it would be easiest if both gateways (groove, 4G modem) were not part of any of your LAN networks, otherwise you could have routing triangles (one way packet flows through hAP ac as gateway, other way packet bypasses hAP ac making firewall on hAP ac freak out). Which means you'd have both bridging and routing on the same device - and that's perfectly OK.

DHCP server is more or less bound to one L2 subnet so the number of DHCP servers is directly dependant on design of your network.

And I guess answers to most of your questions depend on the decision about bridging ports VS routing between ports. The best would be to make some design (using paper and pencil displaying some clouds) and then think about how's communication between different parts supposed to happen. After that you draw actual LAN devices and think of necessary connections and configuration.
BR,
Metod

sunnycoastgreg
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:09 pm

thanks for reply
your advice good, and im doing a paper design,

Looks like a bridge for wlan 1, wlan 2. ether 1, ether 3. and common DHCP server on bridge for these.

DHCP client on ether 5 - to get IP address from groove.

i assume i define interface for wan = ether 5 (also wan = ether 4)
.... now comes the tricky part .
Q: how to “connect” the bridge to WAN? .. sorry im very much a noob at this.

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:09 pm

" how to “connect” the bridge to WAN? .. sorry im very much a noob at this"

This will be the "routing" part, so based on the IP configuration, etc, it will route from the bridge to WAN
MTCNA, MTCTCE, MTCRE & MTCINE

sunnycoastgreg
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:41 pm

to get the bridge (LAN ether/wlan interfaces) routing to the WAN, if my reading correct - i need to do 2 things:
- add a NAT masqeurade...
- add a default route (eg 0.0.0.0 )
..and then sort out DNS

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:48 pm

Default ROS setup of SOHO devices (I'm not sure what it's called in quickset, could be "CPE") is almost what you described in your post #3 above. It has ether1 configured as WAN and the rest of ports (including wireless interfaces) bridged as LAN. It has all the bells and whistles in place. The only difference is that you want to have second WAN interface. So if you start from default, you could simply remove one of ether ports from LAN bridge and configure it as second WAN. The more complex task is then WAN routing setup and that very much depends on how you want to use both WANs.
BR,
Metod

sunnycoastgreg
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:32 am

thanks for all advice and help thus far
i put it all back to default, and then modified accordingly by changing WAN ports etc
... basic working ok with first WAN interface.
I will read further and start working on implementing the second WAN device (with auto failover et al)
.. more questions will no doubt follow!