Community discussions

MikroTik App

kanecb89
just joined
Topic Author

SOLVED: Help with Wyze Cam. NanoHD and Hex S

Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:23 pm

Hey everyone, I'm hoping I can get some help with setting up the Wyze cam v2. I bought 2 of them to set up one as a baby monitor and one for my garage. I've tried using the beta version of the app and the standard version. I've tried updating the firmware and I've tried setting up 2.4ghz only bands for it to connect to. I also tested on 2 other 2.4ghz WiFi networks and both cams connected no issues.

I have a Mikrotik Hex S router and a Ubiquiti NanoHD wireless AP. When it starts to connect it sits blinking blue, it registers an IP address on the AP and sends packets, but only in kb ranges so it's not transferring full data. I'm unsure if it's connecting to the internet or if there is a breakdown between the AP and the router. I've only been using this networking setup for about a month. I'm no expert and some of the settings are tough to figure out on my own.

If there were an issue getting past the router to the internet what are some things I can look into on the router to test that? Otherwise what troubleshooting or problem solving might I try next? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance everyone!
Last edited by kanecb89 on Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

DonNL
just joined

Re: Help with Wyze Cam. NanoHD and Hex S

Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:24 am

I am no expert, but are there any firewall settings in your Hex S?
Sounds like it's not getting full access to the internet.

kanecb89
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:26 pm

I am no expert, but are there any firewall settings in your Hex S?
Sounds like it's not getting full access to the internet.
I'm sure there is some level of firewall but I'm fairly new to router OS so I'm not sure. I feel like they aren't getting internet either but I'm unsure what settings I should be checking on that.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:59 pm

Why would you add devices to your network when you dont even know how to configure the router???

kanecb89
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:58 am

Why would you add devices to your network when you dont even know how to configure the router???
Because Enterprise equipment offers so much more bang for the buck and I'm learning how to use the router. We all start somewhere and that's an aweful condescending question. I'd rather you help then derail so please unless you have something to input or are willing to help keep the negativity to yourself.

I'm not asking for someone to explain everything to me, just a point in the right direction.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:05 am

Well since there are so many possible issues suggest you isolate.
Use a plain jane consumer router, other than the MT, to see if the cameras and Ubiquiti APs provide what you need.
Once thats working then introduce the MT.
Attempting to troubleshoot the MT from our standpoint with no configuration data, and with potential issues with non MT equipment is a waste of time.
I dont mind helping but when there is enough to go by........ right now vacuum.........

kanecb89
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:08 am

Well since there are so many possible issues suggest you isolate.
Use a plain jane consumer router, other than the MT, to see if the cameras and Ubiquiti APs provide what you need.
Once thats working then introduce the MT.
Attempting to troubleshoot the MT from our standpoint with no configuration data, and with potential issues with non MT equipment is a waste of time.
I dont mind helping but when there is enough to go by........ right now vacuum.........
that's how I was set up before but the consumer grade router couldn't handle the 1Gbps connection that I have. Purchasing a consumer grade router that can handle that is pretty expensive. If you tell me what configuration information you need I can provide that. I have standard NAT rules set up and have not done any port forwarding other than for Microsoft remote desktop. I went into the connections log and filtered to the IP that the Wyze cam has been assigned. It is attempting to send packets to various IP addresses which I can only assume are the servers Wyze uses for its service. I am getting no response back for several of the connections only a syn sent response and no repl. packets. I'm not sure if there is a NAT rule that is blocking this from accessing certain IPs and overall I'd rather not open a bunch of ports to get the camera working.

I appreciate the feedback but since this is not worth your time, or apparently others on this forum I will go somewhere less elitist and hopefully get help. If you don't have enough information to go on instead of treating someone like they aren't worth it maybe ask. Thanks anyway.

kanecb89
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:04 am

Hey everyone, I'm hoping I can get some help with setting up the Wyze cam v2. I bought 2 of them to set up one as a baby monitor and one for my garage. I've tried using the beta version of the app and the standard version. I've tried updating the firmware and I've tried setting up 2.4ghz only bands for it to connect to. I also tested on 2 other 2.4ghz WiFi networks and both cams connected no issues.

I have a Mikrotik Hex S router and a Ubiquiti NanoHD wireless AP. When it starts to connect it sits blinking blue, it registers an IP address on the AP and sends packets, but only in kb ranges so it's not transferring full data. I'm unsure if it's connecting to the internet or if there is a breakdown between the AP and the router. I've only been using this networking setup for about a month. I'm no expert and some of the settings are tough to figure out on my own.

If there were an issue getting past the router to the internet what are some things I can look into on the router to test that? Otherwise what troubleshooting or problem solving might I try next? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance everyone!
It's solved. It was actually a pretty basic mistake that I made with the ports. I had a specific port forwarded to my PC for a server that I run. This port is one of the main ports that Wyze cams use to connect. Since all incoming traffic through this port was being routed to my PC the camera was unable to receive responses to the packets it was sending. Thanks!

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: SOLVED: Help with Wyze Cam. NanoHD and Hex S

Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:05 pm

Which a simple test with a consumer based router would have helped determine that it had nothing to do with the MT unit.
Stop wasting our time with non MT issues ;-P

kanecb89
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:29 pm

Which a simple test with a consumer based router would have helped determine that it had nothing to do with the MT unit.
Stop wasting our time with non MT issues ;-P
I get where you are coming from but that still would not have led me to this answer. I had a feeling the issue was in the firewall settings. Switching to a plain jane router and having it work (like it did before, or on other networks as I posted) would not have given me a path to fix this. I knew the issue was with the MT router i just didn't know where. It was in messing around with port forwarding the camera as a last resort to see where the firewall might be failing that I found the mistake. Your suggestion would have been 0 help as it had essentially been done already.

Thank you anyway though and take care.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:40 pm

Ahh, okay so it was a networking setup flaw that had nothing to do with the MT as it was working as configured LOL.
SInce you didn't post your config, how was one supposed to magically see the issue anyway.
Glad you found the error and are up and running.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:28 am

Just an FYI, I have 19 Wyze cameras behind one of my Mikrotik Hex routers, and they work just fine. It really does not take anything special to get the Wyze cameras working. What works for your laptop or phone would work fine for the cameras. In my case, I have the cameras on my IoT network - which is a separate LAN from my normal house LAN. I don't entirely trust honorable Chinese camera :)
If you need any further assistance, feel free to ask.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:17 am

Just an FYI, I have 19 Wyze cameras behind one of my Mikrotik Hex routers, and they work just fine. It really does not take anything special to get the Wyze cameras working. What works for your laptop or phone would work fine for the cameras. In my case, I have the cameras on my IoT network - which is a separate LAN from my normal house LAN. I don't entirely trust honorable Chinese camera :)
If you need any further assistance, feel free to ask.
19???? Hey K6cc, just how many angles do you have to have when capturing fun in the rack ;-P Stretching the imagination I can only come up with about 10 LOL.
(must have one of those California see-thru beds)