Community discussions

MikroTik App

vsvinit0
just joined
Topic Author

Unable to configure Mikrotik SXT with Tenda(N301)

Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:50 pm

I want to configure my Mikrotik SXT Lite5 with Tenda(N301) for sharing the internet. I have a wireless PPPoE internet connection and when I directly plug the antenna cable to my pc, I am able to connect to the internet by putting the user id and password provided by my ISP.

But when I try to share the internet through Tenda(N301) router I was not able to connect to the internet. I have tried all possible configuration but I fail to establish the connection.

The connection I was trying to configure is
ISP --> Mikrotik SXT Lite5 --> Tenda(N301) --> PC

Any help or guidance will be much appreciated.

ingdaka
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Unable to configure Mikrotik SXT with Tenda(N301)

Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:14 pm

Is not an Mikrotik problem but an ISP configuration! 2 ways:
1st configure PPPoE Client on SXT and then configure tenda router as WAN DHCP Client!
2nd Configure Tenda router as PPPoE Client

vsvinit0
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:54 am

Is not an Mikrotik problem but an ISP configuration! 2 ways:
1st configure PPPoE Client on SXT and then configure tenda router as WAN DHCP Client!
2nd Configure Tenda router as PPPoE Client

Thank you for your reply ingdaka.
I don't know how to configure PPPoE Client on SXT can you give some links or tutorials so that I can configure it my self. Or guide me to configure it.
Although I tried Configuring my Tenda Router as PPPoE Client. But it's not able to do the dial-up it's showing an error of unable to establish a connection with the remote server.

Two Year back I was trying to establish the connection but I fail I ask a lot of doubts on the forum but didn't get success in the process. This time I was trying to achieve the same with the new router.
If you want to go through the old post. Here's the link so that you can get an Idea - viewtopic.php?t=133954

vsvinit0
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:09 am

Ok I have made some changes to Mikrotik SXT. Previously it was configured in bridge mode. Now I have made some changes somehow I configured it in router mode now my Mikrotik SXT got the internet. I ping it to 8.8.8.8 and I am getting the response but there is no internet on the pc nor I was able to configure it with the Tenda (N301) router. I am sharing the screenshots of what i have done so far. I would request the forum members to go through the configurations.

Router Mode Configuration

Ping to 8.8.8.8

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:12 pm

Local network IP address and DHCP pool (DHCP server range) does not match

(10.0.0.0 versus 192.168.0.0)

Your PC will have the wrong IP address if DHCP was used.

vsvinit0
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:42 pm

Local network IP address and DHCP pool (DHCP server range) does not match

(10.0.0.0 versus 192.168.0.0)

Your PC will have the wrong IP address if DHCP was used.

Thank You for your reply bpwl.

Ok, I got it but how to do it can you elaborate it in detail. When I open my Winbox I noticed that It was configured in bridge mode. Just with IP 10.11.12.40. These settings were all done by my ISP.

Default Setting in Bridge Mode

The above screenshot shows the only configuration done by my ISP. I have to enter a user id and password on my system to connect to the internet. That's all I was doing to get an internet on my pc.
And the Connection Look Something Like this - ISP --> Mikrotik SXT Lite5 --> PC

But real problem started when I tried to create a connection which looks something like this - ISP --> Mikrotik SXT Lite5 --> Tenda(N301 Router) --> PC.

Other Devices IP on my network

My ISP service provider guy said that there is no need for extra configuration on Mikrotik we have to put the network IP in bridge mode and all will work fine. We can use Mikrotik devices just out of the box. I think they have not properly configured it. Like no firewall no DHCP configuration nothing.

Later I was tweaking around and I change the bridge mode to router mode and entered the PPPoE dial-up user name and password. Which made my Mikrotik device access the Internet but there is not Internet on LAN and all the other settings come by default.

Can i reconfigure it? Is there any step by step guide from scratch so that I can go through it and configure it properly.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:39 pm

Hi, I have been reading your previous attempts and help from forum members, but very fast and skipped quite some info. Because you need to master what you are doing. Giving details and details will be a very long process.

So let me try to explain what I see (my explainations tend to be difficult, so read line by line)

You want this: ISP --> Mikrotik SXT Lite5 --> Tenda(N301 Router) --> PC's.

Your ISP operates a network (that you can see in WinBox neigborgs list, to my surprise) with a lot of devices in the 10.11.xx.xx IP range. In there the one with IP 10.11.12.40 is your SXT device. The others are all from the ISP's network. That is the basic carrier network, over which access to internet is made only through PPPoE tunnels. Your connection to that carrier network is made with the WLAN interface of the SXT.

You must open the PPPoE tunnel somewhere. That point must get an IP address like 10.11.12.40 but the ISP may have assigned more IP adresses to you.

1 The PPPoE can be at the PC level. The PC must be able to connect to the PPPoE server, and mostly the SXt and the Tenda are then defined as bridge/switch to pass that information as an ethernet connection (oE = over Ethernet). Only that PC can connect to Internet.
2 The PPPoE can be at the Tenda device. The PPPoE must pass through the SXT as bridge/switch. After the Tenda everything gets a local new IP address from your own IP private range. The Tenda and all PC's behind the Tenda can reach internet as the Tenda is NATting their address to its own address.
3 The PPPoe can be at the SXT. You have done that before in previous posts. The SXT then is in mode router with NAT, not in bridge mode, you will normally add firewall rules then. After the SXT then everything is in your private IP range. (the link to the Tenda, and the link behind the Tenda.) The SXT and everything behind the SXT can reach internet, as the SXT will change their address via NAT to its own address.

To recap: the 10.11.xx.xx network goes up to the point where you have the PPPoE client active. .At that point you have the 100.86.xx.xx PPPoE network with the 100.86.0.1 as the router to internet going over PPPoe. 100.86.0.1 should be the default gateway (check "add default gateway")

After the PPPoE client point you normally have your own router/NAT/DHCP server towards your own network. Your "Local Network" should only have those new IP adresses like 192.168.0.0/24 !!! (Not 10.11.12.40, or anything in the 100.86.x.x range) You must serve DHCP leases.

If you do the PPPoE transition in the SXT , then you still have the Tenda to pass. This could be a second NAT (double NAT) to another IP range like 192.168.1.0/24, again with NAT and DHCP server.and firewall at the Tenda. It might be able to set the Tenda not as gateway but as router only, or even as bridge/switch only. But not all home gateways have this option. (Tenda is unknown to me), eliminating the second NAT.

Is the SXT handled by the ISP? Then you should make your setup in the Tenda only. Otherwise you have the choice to make it double: SXT and Tenda.

vsvinit0
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:52 pm

Hi, I have been reading your previous attempts and help from forum members, but very fast and skipped quite some info. Because you need to master what you are doing. Giving details and details will be a very long process.

So let me try to explain what I see (my explainations tend to be difficult, so read line by line)

You want this: ISP --> Mikrotik SXT Lite5 --> Tenda(N301 Router) --> PC's.

Your ISP operates a network (that you can see in WinBox neigborgs list, to my surprise) with a lot of devices in the 10.11.xx.xx IP range. In there the one with IP 10.11.12.40 is your SXT device. The others are all from the ISP's network. That is the basic carrier network, over which access to internet is made only through PPPoE tunnels. Your connection to that carrier network is made with the WLAN interface of the SXT.

You must open the PPPoE tunnel somewhere. That point must get an IP address like 10.11.12.40 but the ISP may have assigned more IP adresses to you.

1 The PPPoE can be at the PC level. The PC must be able to connect to the PPPoE server, and mostly the SXt and the Tenda are then defined as bridge/switch to pass that information as an ethernet connection (oE = over Ethernet). Only that PC can connect to Internet.
2 The PPPoE can be at the Tenda device. The PPPoE must pass through the SXT as bridge/switch. After the Tenda everything gets a local new IP address from your own IP private range. The Tenda and all PC's behind the Tenda can reach internet as the Tenda is NATting their address to its own address.
3 The PPPoe can be at the SXT. You have done that before in previous posts. The SXT then is in mode router with NAT, not in bridge mode, you will normally add firewall rules then. After the SXT then everything is in your private IP range. (the link to the Tenda, and the link behind the Tenda.) The SXT and everything behind the SXT can reach internet, as the SXT will change their address via NAT to its own address.

To recap: the 10.11.xx.xx network goes up to the point where you have the PPPoE client active. .At that point you have the 100.86.xx.xx PPPoE network with the 100.86.0.1 as the router to internet going over PPPoe. 100.86.0.1 should be the default gateway (check "add default gateway")

After the PPPoE client point you normally have your own router/NAT/DHCP server towards your own network. Your "Local Network" should only have those new IP adresses like 192.168.0.0/24 !!! (Not 10.11.12.40, or anything in the 100.86.x.x range) You must serve DHCP leases.

If you do the PPPoE transition in the SXT , then you still have the Tenda to pass. This could be a second NAT (double NAT) to another IP range like 192.168.1.0/24, again with NAT and DHCP server.and firewall at the Tenda. It might be able to set the Tenda not as gateway but as router only, or even as bridge/switch only. But not all home gateways have this option. (Tenda is unknown to me), eliminating the second NAT.

Is the SXT handled by the ISP? Then you should make your setup in the Tenda only. Otherwise you have the choice to make it double: SXT and Tenda.

Yes SXT is handled by the ISP only. I just have PPPoE credentials which I dial from my pc to connect to the internet.

Ok, I have gone through your post but still its lot more for me to digest at one go. Still, I am reading it again and again. So far I got one thing I will be going for the second option In which you have suggested to do the PPPoE at Tenda device. Now my SXT is in bridge mode with the IP of 10.11.12.40. I have checked the Tenda router it is using the IP range of 192.168.0.XXX.

So at this point, I am confused as I am not getting what to do after this. I tried to do the PPPoE in Tenda router, It is not able to do the PPPoE. It is throwing an Error - Unable to establish a connection with the remote server. If my PC is able to do the PPPoE dial-up for the connection then there must be a way to do the same with Tenda router. Should I change the IP range in the Tenda router?

After reading your post I am blank. I don't know what to do now. :(

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:44 pm

It is not able to do the PPPoE. It is throwing an Error - Unable to establish a connection with the remote server. If my PC is able to do the PPPoE dial-up for the connection then there must be a way to do the same with Tenda router. Should I change the IP range in the Tenda router?

I don't know what is wrong here. Why is the Tenda not getting the PPPoE in a working state like the PC does? I have no clue. You will have to compare both in all details. Sometimes parameters are implicit and set to some value which is different for the PC and the Tenda.

The Tenda should have an IP address in the 10.11.12.xx range that it gets through the DHCP client on the WAN interface of the Tenda. (Like your PC is getting an 10.11.12.xx address when it is connected directly to the SXT). But maybe no IP address is used . It is very important that the SXT is in transparant bridge mode. But as it works for the PC it should be OK. The IP range to the LAN side and the Tenda DHCP server on the LAN should have no influence. As long as we don't have a PPPoE session, we have no connection.
The Tenda must find the PPPoE service. This uses a discover operation. (see Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point-to- ... r_Ethernet )

The only thing as next step is checking the debug logs in Tenda and Mikrotik, and trying to understand how that PPPoE setup works, to find what can be different. (like name of the service)

From the wikipedia, with some renaming ....

PPPoE Discovery (PPPoED)
Although traditional PPP is a peer-to-peer protocol, PPPoE is inherently a client-server relationship since multiple hosts can connect to a service provider over a single physical connection.
The Discovery process consists of four steps between the host computer which acts as the client and the access concentrator at the Internet service provider's end acts as the server. They are outlined below. The fifth and last step is the way to close an existing session.

Client to server: Initiation (PADI)
PADI stands for PPPoE Active Discovery Initiation.
Communication over Ethernet is only possible via MAC addresses. As the computer does not know the MAC address of the ISP concentrator, it sends out a PADI packet via an Ethernet broadcast (MAC: ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff). This PADI packet contains the MAC address of the computer sending it.

The PADI packet can be received by more than one concentrator. Only ISP equipment that can serve the "Service-Name" tag should reply.

Server to client: Offer (PADO)
PADO stands for PPPoE Active Discovery Offer.

Once the user's computer or Tenda has sent the PADI packet, the ISP concentrator replies with a PADO packet, using the MAC address supplied in the PADI. The PADO packet contains the MAC address of the concentrator, its name and the name of the service.

Client to server: request (PADR)
PADR stands for PPPoE active discovery request.

A PADR packet is sent by the user's computer or Tenda to the concentrator following receipt of an acceptable PADO packet from the concentrator. It confirms acceptance of the offer of a PPPoE connection made by the concentrator issuing the PADO packet.

Server to client: session-confirmation (PADS)
PADS stands for PPPoE Active Discovery Session-confirmation.

The PADR packet above is confirmed by the concentrator with a PADS packet, and a Session ID is given out with it. The connection with the concentrator for that POP has now been fully established.

Either end to other end: termination (PADT)
PADT stands for PPPoE Active Discovery Termination. This packet terminates the connection to the POP. It may be sent either from the user's computer or from the concentrator.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:41 pm

Hi, finally looked up the Tenda N301 specs.and user manual.
If the PPPoE is not working out of the box, just forget that option. There are no possible parameters to tweak. Just none, username/password that's all.

You might consider a "hAP Lite" as replacement for the Tendra. But in 2020 you should rather go for a "hAP ac2".
They are not labeled "easy setup" as the Tendra, but not more complicated than the SXT, but at least they can be set up.

vsvinit0
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:49 pm

Hi, finally looked up the Tenda N301 specs.and user manual.
If the PPPoE is not working out of the box, just forget that option. There are no possible parameters to tweak. Just none, username/password that's all.

You might consider a "hAP Lite" as replacement for the Tendra. But in 2020 you should rather go for a "hAP ac2".
They are not labeled "easy setup" as the Tendra, but not more complicated than the SXT, but at least they can be set up.

You are right. Yesterday the whole night I was trying to fix the issue but didn't get success.
And one more thing the price of MikroTik hAP ac2 is a bit costlier for me. In my country, it's around $121 us dollars.
Here's the link - https://www.amazon.in/Mikrotik-RBD52G-5 ... B079SD8NVQ

For now my price, budget is around $40 to $50 us dollars. So I was thinking to buy other version's
Here are some other links which are in my budgets. Kindly help me to buy one or suggest me one which can work in my scenario

https://www.amazon.in/Mikrotik-RouterBo ... ics&sr=1-1
https://www.amazon.in/Mikrotik-RB941-2n ... 386&sr=8-1
https://www.amazon.in/Mikrotik-hAP-lite ... 386&sr=8-2
https://www.amazon.in/Mikrotik-RB941-2n ... 386&sr=8-3
https://www.amazon.in/Mikrotik-RB750r2- ... 386&sr=8-5

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:38 pm

You have 2 options ...

- use configuration 3 if you can. (PPPoE ending on the SXT) , SXT as router/NAT/DHCP server for your LAN network 192.168.0.0/24 The SXT gets local network address 192.168.0.1 , the rest gets an IP address through DHCP from the SXT. The Tenda then should be set up in "mode AP".: ( see manual , number 3.5.3 Enabling the AP Mode) the Internet connection comes through the ethernet cable from the SXT to the Tenda. The Tenda is sending the wifi signal, the original router is the SXT which is not sending the wifi signal as AP (The Tenda_2 in the figure is not used for clients), but using wifi to connect to the ISP. (The Tenda box is in bridge/switch mode, not in router, DHCP server or NAT mode. )
Klembord-2.jpg

- the other alternative is to spend your money on the hAP Lite classic (best value for money). This is much cheaper on amazon.de , but you will pay import duties. The hEX is not an option for you as it has no wifi. This "hAp Lite Classic" is a minimal investment that only gives 2.4 GHz band, and is limited in memory (newer RouterOS upgrades may be difficult to install in the future). A "hAP ac Lite" would be a stronger investment, but your budget is small. I run hAP Lites with no problems today, but now buy "hAP ac2" for optimal performance. (https://mikrotik.com/products/matrix)

If you manage to control the SXT, you need no investment in routers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:20 pm

Ok, I got it but how to do it can you elaborate it in detail. When I open my Winbox I noticed that It was configured in bridge mode. Just with IP 10.11.12.40. These settings were all done by my ISP.

When your SXT is in router mode, that IP address can only be on your WLAN1 interface, not on the bridge.
Your bridge will have address 192.168.0.1 and you fill that in in the "local network - IP address" , with netmask 255.255.255.0 (/24) , in your CPE quicksetup. There should be no 10.11.12.40 in the local network, this is for the ISP side only.

You will lose the connection while changing , connect with MAC, or later connect to 192.168.0.1 from the LAN (Tenda wifi or ethernet ports Tenda or SXT)
After the CPE quickset the ISP may have lost control over the SXT as this is the standard firewall setting.
Klembord-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vsvinit0
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Unable to configure Mikrotik SXT with Tenda(N301)  [SOLVED]

Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:01 pm

Hello @bpwl,
I am extremely sorry for responding very late to you as I was out for a business tour.
I have tried your last two suggestions and configuration. But I was not successful in establishing the connection nor I was able to configure SXT with Tenda router.

Upon checking with my SXT device I found out the device was not working properly. I have configured the SXT in router mode and tried to configure the Tenda in AP mode but It didn't work for me.
Lastly, I have changed the SXT device with Mikrotik LHG 5 Light Grid Antenna as I need to increase the bandwidth of my internet connection and the new Mikrotik LHG 5 light works great with the Tenda device.

Anyway thank you so much for your help and guidance as it helps me to dig a bit deeper in networking and I have gained some knowledge. Once again thank you so much @bpwl.

Mikrotik LHG 5 Light - https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01DAHX2J0/ref ... yEb79MZZXE

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:20 pm

OK, vsvinit0, your welcome. I'm glad you have a working configuration now. The config you have in the LHG should work in a normal SXT as well. (Except for the higher antenna gain in the LHG, which is impressive).
I enjoy learning from others setups and problems, and who knows one day I may be using an LHG as well.

vsvinit0
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:31 pm

OK, vsvinit0, your welcome. I'm glad you have a working configuration now. The config you have in the LHG should work in a normal SXT as well. (Except for the higher antenna gain in the LHG, which is impressive).
I enjoy learning from others setups and problems, and who knows one day I may be using an LHG as well.

Yes, definitely you gonna use LHG in near future. But it took me so long to figure out my problem. Anyway, thank you for your help. Now I am marking this post as solved.