Community discussions

MikroTik App

mur
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

OpenVPN VS Mikrotik VPN quick setup

Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:31 pm

I'd like to set up a VPN server on my Mikrotik hap ac2 in order to get access to my home LAN from outside, and be able to surf the internet safely when my notebook is connected to an untrusted wifi network.
I saw this tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWLY5vdKV4c

In which the author lunches a setup wizard and uses the Mikrotik DDNS service.
I was wondering which is the real difference between that method, and setting up manually from scratch a OpenVPN server?
What wouyld you suggest and why?
Thanks

Re: OpenVPN VS Mikrotik VPN quick setup

Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:13 pm

Just more options from my experience. If you prefer the OVPN client OpenVPN is a good choice, otherwise there are other clients you can use, or PPTP, SSL-VPN, etc. I use duckdns for ddns, and run an OpenVPN server, I have not used the MT built in ddns yet.

mur
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:40 pm

Just more options from my experience. If you prefer the OVPN client OpenVPN is a good choice, otherwise there are other clients you can use, or PPTP, SSL-VPN, etc. I use duckdns for ddns, and run an OpenVPN server, I have not used the MT built in ddns yet.
Ok, I'll go for OpenVPN then.
Is duckduck ddns service free?
Thanks

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:28 am

Quick Set creates some VPN config, I'm not really sure what exactly. But you can create anything else manually if you want. And DDNS and VPN are not related, it's not like you'd have to use MikroTik's DDNS only with Quick Set VPN. MikroTik's DDNS just gives you hostname pointing to your router's address. You can use it for anything you want.

mur
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:17 am

Quick Set creates some VPN config, I'm not really sure what exactly. But you can create anything else manually if you want. And DDNS and VPN are not related, it's not like you'd have to use MikroTik's DDNS only with Quick Set VPN. MikroTik's DDNS just gives you hostname pointing to your router's address. You can use it for anything you want.
Meaning that I also can use it for anyOpenVPN setup?
Do you know if Mikrotik DDNS works fine or has some issues?
Thanks

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:18 am

"Anything" includes OpenVPN. I can't say how reliable it is. I tested it and it worked, but I have no long time experience with it. I remember some outages reported here once or twice. If your life doesn't depend on it, it should be ok.