Community discussions

MikroTik App

gmc
just joined
Topic Author

Collecting daily/monthly usage stats?

Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:36 pm

I'm looking for an easy way to collect upload/downloads usage stats for traffic flowing through my internet interface on my RB750. (v6.46)

My ISP doesn't provide this info and I would like to start tracking my usage.

I can view bandwidth graphs but am looking for a way to track upload/download sizes for the day/month.

Started looking at IP / Traffic Flow and NetFlow, but isn't there a simple way to do this?

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Collecting daily/monthly usage stats?

Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:59 am

The interface menu retains total bytes/packets in/out for each interface. You can copy out the numbers on the first of each month than zero it for next month.

ingdaka
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:30 pm

The interface menu retains total bytes/packets in/out for each interface. You can copy out the numbers on the first of each month than zero it for next month.
If router is not rebooted for all month :)

creatin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:26 am

I have a script which is exporting RX/TX values twice a day to a file on MTiK.
When I need statistics, just download the file on my computer and process it within excel to get information needed.

Since MTiK file size shouldn't be more that 4 kb, another script warns me when file reaches 3.5 kb.

gmc
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:11 pm

Thanks, didn't think about the TX/RX values on the interface. I will look into exporting those into a DB and can then mess around with them.

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:10 am

One nice thing I will never hesitate to say about using MT gear over the past 12 years is that gratuitous reboots have rarely been an issue, especially where you employ a UPS.

My very first MikroTik was installed in the desert, at the top of a windmill. Used to operate 11 months straight without a break inside a metal enclosure, 0-49°C outdoor temp (hotter in the box), until seasonal monsoon storms hit the area each autumn and town experienced total power outages.
Last edited by macsrwe on Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:36 am

Also have look at IP Accounting.

creatin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:12 pm

One nice thing I will never hesitate to say about using MT gear over the past 12 years is that gratuitous reboots have rarely been an issue, especially where you employ a UPS.
Over 100 days uptime and I had to restart it yesterday.
HAP AC, 2.4 and 5 GHz links up, clients were disconnected while connected through 5 GHz link, forgot what was the error in the log :(
anyway working normally after reboot

AllexRo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:47 am

Somehow related to the original post, I discovered that adding registered devices to IP/Kid Control, offers some stats (bytes up/down, rates up/down) about each device activity, stats that are still there after a reboot. Stats can be reset manually via Reset Counter button. In a relatively stable environment (let's say household) with 99% of devices known and registrable, I think it's a good way to monitor monthly traffic, totally or per device.