Community discussions

MikroTik App

miloxdan
just joined
Topic Author

mikrotik x 2 - one address in the LAN

Fri May 01, 2020 4:53 pm

Hey. I have a question. I have two mikrotik hap ac2 routers. I would like to use them to build a network in my home - according to the attachment.
First mikrotik (set LAN address 192.168.20.1/24. Server DHCP - 192.168.20.2-254, gateway 192.168.20.1):
- eth 1 - connection to router WAN. eth 1 - received an address from DHCP for example: 192.168.10.2/24
- eth 2-4 - LAN (TV, NAS)
- eth 5 - connection to a second router
- wifi

Second mikrotik:
- eth 1 - connection to the first router
- eth 2 - LAN (PC etc.)
- wifi

I would like to use one address in the LAN - 192.168.20.0/24, and one SSID for two mikrotik - e.g. Mikrotik 5G.
Being in range of the first router, I use wifi, then go to the range of the second router and use the same wifi network.
I ask for tips in this topic. CAPsMAN - is it right?
thank you for answer. greetings
Milox
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: mikrotik x 2 - one address in the LAN

Fri May 01, 2020 6:40 pm

Do you have
a. one home LAN
b. no other subnets (like lab, server, work that you want separated)?
b. guest wifi?
d. smart devices (typicall run on wifi and use 2.4ghz)

miloxdan
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 01, 2020 7:07 pm

ad. a - I planned one home LAN
ad. b - no other subnets
ad. c - I'm going to create for guests
ad. d - of course there will be 2.4 and 5ghz

In the previous post I wrote "and one SSID for two mikrotik - e.g. Mikrotik 5G" - I don't want the phone to switch between different SSIDs.

solar77
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri May 01, 2020 7:20 pm

sounds like all you have to do is make the Mikrotik a switch + WiFi access point,
then you will have one only subnet, all your IP address on the LAN will be in 192.168.20.0/24

I assume that your home router is doing the NAT, DHCP server, DNS server etc.

so on both mikrotik, disable NAT, disable DHCP, disable DNS, disable DHCP client on ether1 (this will be there by default), add ether1 to the bridge, so all your ethernet ports are on the same bridge
so far you made them into a simple Layer2 switch

then create WiFi interface, SSID, security profile etc. and make sure wlan interface is also on the same bridge.

this is what I would do

Yes you can use capsman, but for two Access Point, personally I would not go through the trouble.

miloxdan
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 01, 2020 7:40 pm

To date, the home router in the lan network has the address 192.168.10.1.
I have a mikrotik router connected to it, it gets 192.168.10.2 from DHCP.
In contrast, mikrotik has created a new subnet 192.168.20.0/24. I would like it to stay that way.
I would like two mikrotiki to form a separate network 192.168.20.0.
Is it possible?
Do I have to make a switch from the first mikrotik?

solar77
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri May 01, 2020 7:58 pm

In contrast, mikrotik has created a new subnet 192.168.20.0/24. I would like it to stay that way.
I would like two mikrotiki to form a separate network 192.168.20.0.
so your first Mikrotik gets 192.168.10.2 on ether1 and its LAN subnet is 192.168.20.0/24 and you want the 2nd Mikrotik to stay in 192.168.20.0/24, is this correct?

if that's the case, just do the changes mentioned in my previous post to the 2nd Mikrotik, in addition, give it a static IP address of 192.168.20.2/24 , assigne this IP address to its bridge
nothing need to change for the 1st Mikrotik

miloxdan
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 01, 2020 8:21 pm

so your first Mikrotik gets 192.168.10.2 on ether1 and its LAN subnet is 192.168.20.0/24 and you want the 2nd Mikrotik to stay in 192.168.20.0/24, is this correct?
it's true :)

so I have to do that?
1. first mikrotik:
- ether 1 - WAN
- ether 2 - 5 - LAN - bridge
- enable NAT, server DHCP - 192.168.20.3-254 etc.
- create WiFi interface, SSID, security profile etc.

2. second mikrotik
- add ether1 to the bridge,
- assigning a static ip 192.168.20.2 to bridge

And what it will look like switching between wireless networks for these two mikrotik?

solar77
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri May 01, 2020 9:02 pm

yes these steps looks correct.

the subnet 192.168.20.0/24, exist on the following physical interfaces as they are all connected and belongs to the same bridge
on 1st Mikrotik : ehter 2 to ethe5 and wlan1 and wlan2
on 2nd Mikrotik: ether1 to ether5 and wlan1, wlan2

any client connected to one of these physical interface, will pick up a DHCP lease from the 1st Mikrotik and use it as their gateway, DNS etc.
Last edited by solar77 on Fri May 01, 2020 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miloxdan
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 01, 2020 9:09 pm

solar77 - Thank you for your help. I'm starting the setup.
When I have a problem I will write :D

miloxdan
just joined
Topic Author

Sat May 02, 2020 3:52 pm

I have a problem. I set up a wireless network on both routers.
I've set the access list for a wireless network.
the phone switches between routers but the break lasts about 5 seconds.
The access list on the first router disconnects the phone, then the phone connects to the wireless network on the second router, however, it takes about 5 seconds.
What am I doing wrong?

solar77
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat May 02, 2020 4:56 pm

I'd start by removing access list, your device will decide when it's the best time to disconnect from a signal

reduce transmit power, by increasing Antenna gain on 2.4GHz radio (so the Mikortik is told there is an more sensitive antenna, therefore reduce the transmit power)
keep the 5G radio the same
make sure the two AP are on different channels, both 2.4GHz and 5GHz
when selecting channel, do a scan and use the clean channel

aim is to create smaller coverage from each AP with some overlaping but not too much (15% or so)

once all is stable, then start to enlarge coverage area:
to maximize coverage area, increasing transmit power from ONE AP first, make sure locations where client devices most likely to stay for longer can always be covered by one of the signal,

miloxdan
just joined
Topic Author

Sat May 02, 2020 9:46 pm

solar77
I deleted the access list.
Two AP are on different channels, both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.
I reduced the transmission power, increasing antenna gain (for 2,4 Ghz).
I used clean channel.

I found the optimal point where the devices will be used the least - here it switches between routers.
This place would suit me. But still switching between routers takes about 3-5 seconds.
The telephone conversation during this time is interrupted.

solar77
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun May 03, 2020 12:02 pm

when the client device is stationary, it should not be switching between APs.
if you are talking about roaming, (walking through the building, disconnecting from one AP as the signal is too weak and re-connect to another AP), you will have a period of disconnection.
seamless roaming, is a term where this disconnection is minimum so you don't even notice.

in your setup, probably worth trying to setup access list on the APs, so it actively disconnect the client , instead of waiting for the client device to disconnect. this way hopefuly the "waiting " part is minimized, but you will still have a period , during which the client device is nagociating to the new AP. that would likely to be 1-2 seconds.

the threshold, needs to be carefully set, so you know when AP 1 disconnect a client, it would be able to connect to another, otherwise the device will be rejected by both AP.
so the overlapping between the two AP , need to have signal level that is above the threshold in your access list. For example, if you can get -75dB from both AP in the overlapping area but the access list reject -80dB and below. this way, by the time you go below -80dB from one AP, you should already be above -75dB from another

I am not 100% sure how good seamless roaming is with CAPsMan. There seems to be mixed report. looking at
https://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/ ... 854099.pdf
the roaming is done by setting up access list too.
we have only done network that require seamless roaming using Ubiquiti Unifi products so far.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 03, 2020 12:11 pm

But still switching between routers takes about 3-5 seconds.
The telephone conversation during this time is interrupted.

One thing to check: does the device keep the same LAN IP address after it switches over to another AP or band?

Anyhow, even if transition period (for changing serving AP) is only one second, the voice call will still be interrupted (although for shorter time).
Another thing is how particular VoIP app handles loss of packets ... it could be that when excessive packet loss occurs (e.g. more than 10 consecutive packets within one second due to switching between APs ), app needs some time to re-synchronize with the peer? I know this (rarely) happens in mobile networks for traditional voice calls (in 2G and 3G ... non-IP calls) but those networks are built for mobility and there are used many advanced mechanizms to minimize the effects of radio-links drop-outs ... including support in core network nodes which don't even exist in WiFi networks.

miloxdan
just joined
Topic Author

Sun May 03, 2020 1:49 pm

the device keeps the same LAN IP address when switching to another AP.
I set up the access list. I set the threshold, the device switches between APs. However, it still takes a few seconds :). And I think I'll leave it this way.

I'm still thinking about capsman. I have one router and one AP, and on both devices I wanted one addressing and wireless networks.

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 03, 2020 6:18 pm

in your setup, probably worth trying to setup access list on the APs, so it actively disconnect the client , instead of waiting for the client device to disconnect
This is the worst ever advice, but people still keep suggesting it over and over again...
When you forcibly disconnect a client you are 99% guaranteed are getting a noticeable delay. This delay is never shorter than when the client roams on its own.

miloxdan
just joined
Topic Author

Sun May 03, 2020 6:37 pm

that is, the access list to delete?
I also have a delay of 3-5 seconds without an access list.

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 03, 2020 6:58 pm

that is, the access list to delete?
I also have a delay of 3-5 seconds without an access list.
Roaming is always a client's responsibility. If your client devices are old and cannot roam nicely there's nothing you can do on the AP side to improve that (except, possibly, switching to another brand that supports single channel architecture, but that approach comes with its own caveats). When your devices are "good roamers", you can help them being even better by carefully planning you wireless network, making sure there's a reasonable overlap between neighboring APs and reducing TX power on APs. Forcing disconnects via access list, however, is never a good solution because (a) that would almost guaranteed to happen when the client is not ready to roam yet, and so it will need more time to connect to another AP (i.e. increased delays) and (b) you are effectively limiting the coverage of your network.

Another possible source of delays is the switch(es) that your APs are connected to. When client roams from one AP to another it also roams from one switch port to another (sometimes even to another switch). And switches also need time to relearn the client's MAC address. You may try using different switches or migrate to CAPsMAN with manager forwarding to decrease this kind of delays.

solar77
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun May 03, 2020 8:18 pm

@andriys
so how do seamless roaming work in enterprise wifi networks? does it actively disconnect one client and in the hope it will come back to the strongest signal it can discover? or there is a more intelligent way so the AP tells the client devise more about when and who to switch over next?

miloxdan
just joined
Topic Author

Sun May 03, 2020 8:53 pm

Do I think right?

1. first mikrotik:
- ether 1 - WAN
- ether 2 - 5 - LAN - bridge
- enable NAT, server DHCP - 192.168.20.3-254 etc.
-CAPsMAN

2. second mikrotik
- add ether1 to the bridge,
- assigning a static ip 192.168.20.2 to bridge
- create WiFi interface, SSID, security profile, CAP etc.

CApsMAN - I configure it on the first mikrotik, I also configure the wireless network.
The second mikrotik - I'm setting up a wireless network (CAP).
now what the address pool for the wireless network looks like on both mikrotik?

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 03, 2020 9:23 pm

so how do seamless roaming work
SCA (Single Channel Architecture). Basically the whole network "pretends" to be a single AP, so there's no roaming from the wireless client point of view at all.
And it has nothing to do with "enterprise wifi networks".

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 03, 2020 9:44 pm

@miloxdan,

You do not configure wireless interfaces on either of your devices. You first configure CAPsMAN (the manager) on one of them, then enable CAP mode for all wireless interfaces on both. SSID, security profile, channels, etc. - everything is configured in a single place (on the manager).
Have you read the documentation already?

miloxdan
just joined
Topic Author

Sun May 03, 2020 10:52 pm

You do not configure wireless interfaces on either of your devices. You first configure CAPsMAN (the manager) on one of them, then enable CAP mode for all wireless interfaces on both. SSID, security profile, channels, etc. - everything is configured in a single place (on the manager).
Have you read the documentation already?
I configured CAPsMAN - now switching between networks looks better.
I haven't fully read the documentation. but I have to do it.

solar77
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon May 04, 2020 12:42 am

thanks andriys
I've been reading on SCA and yes the theory is that, if the whole network "pretends" to be a single AP then there is no "roaming" , the client is associated with the controller which will hand client devices over without it knowing.

However, the reason I suggested the access list is on reading this MUM presentation,
https://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/ ... 854099.pdf
it suggest
"Often, station is still attached to old AP even though already moved to new AP"
and the fix is to use access list to reject client devices below threshold level.

@miloxdan,

what is the time for your device to switch between AP now?

miloxdan
just joined
Topic Author

Mon May 04, 2020 8:35 pm

what is the time for your device to switch between AP now?
after setting the capsman and access list, switching between routers takes about one second.
in my opinion it's ok :)

after setting the capsman and deleting the access list, switching between routers takes about one second but switching between routers from time to time is in another part of the house