Community discussions

MikroTik App

Greystones
just joined
Topic Author

'Lost' default MAC address

Fri May 01, 2020 11:06 pm

Hi, In setting up (& attempting to upgrade the firmware) on an additional WiFi extender on my home network I inadvertantly & accidentally caused to known default MAC Address to change to ff.ff.ff.ff.ff & lost connectivity. Is it possible for a non-Geek novice to restore the default MAC Address (which is printed on the device) externally from my laptop with a relatively simple procedure that I would be capable of? If so, how please?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: 'Lost' default MAC address

Fri May 01, 2020 11:59 pm

Probably you can't change MAC address without first connecting to the unit. Depending on how the unit was set up you might be able to connect to it using different interfaces (e.g. wireless versus ethernet). If the unit was reasonably secured, then probably the only solution is to reset configuration to factory default - so you'll loose all the customizations you may have done. It is possible to reset config using reset button procedure documented here.

Greystones
just joined
Topic Author

Sat May 02, 2020 12:46 am

Thanks for your very prompt response, mkx. Although I have an ip address for the device given by using the CMD prompt + 'apr -a' as 192.168.1.255 I was unable to to access the device with that URL in my browser & I subsequently attached an ethernet cable to the device to my laptop whilst looking at Device Manager>Network Adaptors but nothing was added as I plugged it in! (There were two green LEDs for power-up but a third one didn't come on when I connected the ethernet cable to my laptop) I was wondering if I could uninstall the driver & re-install its original one, but haven't succeeded in locating that. I also did a manual factory reset on the extender (using a thin rod) but it didn't respond in the usual way with the middle green light extinguishing for a while & then re-appearing. So, that didn't work! The security was originally set to WPA2-PSK. There is also a LAN port on the extender if that is any use? When I had it connected by ethernet cable to my router, the third green LED lit up on the device but I couldn't access it. Hope this gives helpful details?

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 02, 2020 1:05 am

an additional WiFi extender

What is that additional WiFi extender? Is it a known Mikrotik device? Has it a USB port? Then a USB-serial converter or Woobm-USB could be used.

Adding the subnets broadcast address (192.168.1.255) to the ARP table will not help. What you need is fiddling with the ARP table in your laptop.

something like : "arp -s 192.168.1.2 ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff". or whatever the IP address was.

Just something I would try out. You never know.

(Windows ARP /? )

-s Adds the host and associates the Internet address inet_addr
with the Physical address eth_addr. The Physical address is
given as 6 hexadecimal bytes separated by hyphens. The entry
is permanent.

Example:
> arp -s 157.55.85.212 00-aa-00-62-c6-09 .... Adds a static entry.
> arp -a .... Displays the arp table.

Greystones
just joined
Topic Author

Sat May 02, 2020 2:00 pm

Thank you, bpwl, for your reply & suggestions, and firstly here are the details you requested: This is the device: http://www.pix-link.com/page50?product_id=144, which does not include any USB port but does have dual ports: Ethernet & LAN.

As you no doubt appreciate, although I was able to obtain the IP Address & current MAC Address from using CMD arp -a, it was only because I read an article online suggesting doing that, and hence my know-how/expertise nowhere matches yours or experience of doing this! Can I therefore please just clarify with you (before attempting your suggestion to again use the CMD) that your words "..whatever the IP address was." means the default IP Address I am now wishing to return to (192.168.1.254) or the one it changed to after I had initially succeeded in setting the device up to work on my Humax PVR for our TV?

Thanks for your patience,
Brian

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 02, 2020 2:59 pm

accidentally caused to known default MAC Address to change to ff.ff.ff.ff.ff & lost connectivity

Hi ,

are you sure you actually did modify the MAC address as stated here? In your arp table (arp -a) you will find the broadcast address of your subnet (192.168.1.255) always mapped to the broadcast MAC address ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff. Is in your ARP table somewhere the IP address 192.168.1.254, your previous unicast IP address of this PIX-LINK ? Is the printed MAC address of the PIX-LINK somewhere in the ARP table ?

With the Mikrotik you can do some discover tests on this PIX-LINK.
When powered on and connected to the Mikrotik
use;
Tools IP scan (choose MKT interface, range is 192.168.1.0/24)
IP ARP ; check the ARP list
Tools PING (also try ARP ping with printed MAC address)
Tools packet sniffer (might be difficult if you have no sniffer packet like Wireshark)
Tools TORCH (include MAC protocol)

Whole idea is to find out how the PIX-LINK is still communicating.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 02, 2020 3:11 pm

In the WP09 documents:

... to reset the MiNi Router:
...: With the MiNi Router powered on, use a pin press the Reset Button
for less than 8 seconds , then release the button and wait the MiNi Router to
reboot to its factory default settings.

Those 8 seconds are important ! Long enough but less than 8 seconds.

Other path: can you connect to the wireless or when connected to the PIX-LINK ethernet only , surf towards http://myrepeater.net ?

Info from: http://pmod1b8a3.pic8.websiteonline.cn/ ... nGuide.pdf

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 02, 2020 3:24 pm

I would realy be surprised you managed to change the MAC address of that device ... you probably just changed the IP address to the subnets broadcast address 192.168.1.255
Klembord-2.jpg

Don't know how to bypass this error.
But I would at least try to set my PC as an /22 address e.g. 192.168.1.20/22 or subnet mask 255.255.252.0.
Then for the PC 192.168.1.255 is a normal unicast address.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Greystones
just joined
Topic Author

Sat May 02, 2020 9:19 pm

Hi bpwl, & thanks for your immediate responses, even though they are stretching me beyond my current know-how! Excuse me please raising a few more comments/queries before I carry out your suggestions & enable me to attach two jpgs FYI:

1. No, I don't know if I actually did modify the MAC address as stated? I merely know that the attached table jpg told me it had changed as shown below in the attached file, but not if I had changed or deleted it! As you can see from the table in the photo, the original factory default IP Address of the PIX-LINK does not appear there, but has changed to 192.168.1.255 as well as the MAC Address?

2. I'm not really familiar with or understanding what you mean by the Mikrotik (program?) that you say I can do some tests with? I assume it is some facility included in this website? Correct? In which case how do I access it to use, please? Nor do I have a sniffer packet like Wireshark on my laptop currently, but my W10 offers it as a download. So, should I do so & use it as well as the rest you are suggesting?

3. I do, of course, have Windows ARP in my W10, but have only used it the once with '-a' to find the IP Addresses attached to my router. I have attached a jpg of my router Attached Devices IP Addresses, which includes my Latitude laptop.

4. As I think you already understand, I am not able to access the PIX-LINK 300M home webpage online to change anything, for it presently neither responds to the IP Address 192.168.1.255, nor http://www.myrepeater.net.

I hope this is helpful in you understanding more of what happened?
Regards & thanks,
Brian

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 03, 2020 11:29 am

"As you can see from the table in the photo" .... no attachments???

". I'm not really familiar with or understanding what you mean by the Mikrotik (program?)" .... these are tools in the Mikrotik. (Winbox or webfig tools menu)

There is somewhere a Mikrotik in this setup I hope.

Please do the hardware reset on the PIX-LINK (7 seconds with a sharp point, you might need to push and hold the pin first and then apply power, its not clear in the manual)
Otherwise, the 192.168.1.255 is only usable to access the PIX-LINK if your PC's subnet is first changed to 255.255.252.0
With the current setting of 255.255.255.0 subnet mask the ARP entry "192.168.1.255=ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff" is NOT coming from the PIX-LINK but is the value set by the PC itself as the standard broadcast address of that subnet.

Greystones
just joined
Topic Author

Sun May 03, 2020 2:56 pm

Thanks again, bpwl, and it appears the 2 file attachments didn't come through, so I'm resending them below this (& the green circles are ticked that I assume means they leave here attached, & I have check opened the links OK?). Have they now come through this time?

I will again try a mechanical factory reset the way you describe, but I did mention in a previous message that I had done one more than once (as well as unpowering the device after checking there was no response to trying to access from my laptop with the URL 192.168.1.255 --- but it made no difference. This is why I assumed I had actually changed or deleted the MAC Address?

Regards,
Brian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 03, 2020 4:31 pm

OK attachments OK now.

Not much for me to find the PIX-LINK as I don't know the MAC address printed on the device. Probably starts with 00-E0-20 if the maunal exemple is accurate.

As you can see 192.168.1.255 is a STATIC entry. It is set by your PC according the IP network rules to be the broadcast address of that subnet. It does not come from any other device.

Your PIX-LINK has NOT been set to MAC address ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff and I do not believe at all you had any possibility to change that MAC address anyway.

Question remains where is your PIX-LINK, at what IP address ???? And is the PIX-LINK in a mode where it communicates over the ethernet interface?

Do you see any wifi from the PIX-LINK ???
Did you connect the ethernet from the PC to the ethernet LAN port on the PIX-LINK ???

Greystones
just joined
Topic Author

Mon May 04, 2020 5:56 pm

Hi bpwl, and thanks for your replies yesterday. I've just done the following:

1. A factory reset on the PIX-LINK extender (MAC No: 00:E0:20:7C:21:85; S/N: 2020418542M; PIN No: 81350452) in the way you requested, and then connected it via the ethernet cable to the LAN port before checking my system tray WiFi, but it listed no Wireless-N signal briadcast at all! I then looked at my Netgear genie page, Attached Devices but it only showed my Dell Latitude connected & no LAN connection.

2, I then managed to find a copy of Winbox on the MikroTik software webpage & tried to save the file to my downloads, having created a new MikroTik folder, but it didn't appear to let me do so? Instead it opened a webpage online & asked me to 'connect to' ---- presumably a URL I have to enter, but I didn't know which one to try?

3. So, I then did an 'arp -a' and got the attached jpg below, hoping it might show an IP Address & MAC Address for the LAN connected PIX-LINK but it doesn't appear to do so?

I obviously have not done the right action, have I? Please suggest the next step? Should I leave the PIX-LINK ethernet cable LAN connected to my laptop or to my router?

Regards,
Brian

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 04, 2020 7:04 pm

Hi bpwl, and thanks for your replies yesterday. I've just done the following:

1. A factory reset on the PIX-LINK extender (MAC No: 00:E0:20:7C:21:85; S/N: 2020418542M; PIN No: 81350452) in the way you requested, and then connected it via the ethernet cable to the LAN port before checking my system tray WiFi, but it listed no Wireless-N signal briadcast at all! I then looked at my Netgear genie page, Attached Devices but it only showed my Dell Latitude connected & no LAN connection.
So your PIX-LINK is not sending out a wifi access point signal ? The ethernet cable has to be between your Dell PC and the PIX-LINK. ! Maybe you should check your Dell PC ethernet port, by connecting it to the Netgear LAN port (cable between Netgear and Dell PC, don't forget to disconnect the wifi). At least that one should connect.
2, I then managed to find a copy of Winbox on the MikroTik software webpage & tried to save the file to my downloads, having created a new MikroTik folder, but it didn't appear to let me do so? Instead it opened a webpage online & asked me to 'connect to' ---- presumably a URL I have to enter, but I didn't know which one to try?
OK , but nowhere you mention a Mikrotik device. So far I only know about a Netgear, a PIX-LINK and a Dell PC.

3. So, I then did an 'arp -a' and got the attached jpg below, hoping it might show an IP Address & MAC Address for the LAN connected PIX-LINK but it doesn't appear to do so?

I obviously have not done the right action, have I? Please suggest the next step? Should I leave the PIX-LINK ethernet cable LAN connected to my laptop or to my router?

Regards,
Brian
I hope the cable is between the PIX-LINK LAN port and the ethernet connector on the Dell Lattitude PC, If it worked for the Netgear connection it should work here as well.
But maybe the PIX-LINK is only in some bridge mode, and not sending out DHCP IP leases (addresses) itself as a DHCP server, and just forwarding the DHCP request to the other router.
Full connection should then be: "Netgear LAN <---> WAN port PIX-LINK LAN port <---> Dell PC". You might see the PIX-LINK in the Netgear list, but you probably cannot enter into the PIX-LINK from the Netgear or from a PC connected to the Netgear ethernet or wireless. (a WAN port normally is blocking incoming connections for protection)

The best path to manage the PIX-LINK normally is the LAN ethernet port of that device. (The IP addresses must be in the same subnet 192.168.1.0/24, if you don't get one through DHCP, set it manually. The IP address of the PIX-LINK after the reset is 192.168.1.254)

Connecting both LAN sides from the Netgear and the PIX-LINK does not make sense if both are in AP gateway mode (both are answering DHCP requests as DHCP server, but are not requesting anything as DHCP client). If The PIX-LINK is bridging then this is a possible connection.(depends on the PIX-LINK software).

ARP is not a perfect tool for detecting if a device is in the network. An ARP entry is only there for a while if there has been communication. ARP entries do expire.
In the current list is 192.168.1.1 the Netgear router, and the PC itself (192.168.1.21) , and one device of unknown brand (192.168.1.6) , were you have at least 4 of these.in older lists.

Greystones
just joined
Topic Author

Mon May 04, 2020 9:03 pm

Hi bpwl, & thanks again for replying so soon.

1. I did have the PIX-LINK cabled between its LAN port and my laptop ethernet port. I have recently again had my laptop connected by ethernet cable to one of the two LAN ports on my D1500 Netgear router (which has LAN1 & LAN2/WAN) and it enabled me to re-commssion my two Netgear extenders to an outside building OK, as well as initially setting up the PIX-LINK OK from factory default to work as an AP for our Humax PVR in our lounge (before I later caused this present problem by attempting to upgrade the firmware, obviously to the incorrect file which PIX-LINK displayed on their website when I searched for the update!). So, I know my laptop ethernet port has worked OK in the past recently. When you say not to forget to disconnect the WiFi, do you mean just when making the cable connection or to leave it disconnected whilst I make the inter-connection between my laptop>PIX-LINK>router?

2. The only Winbox facility on the MikroTik webpage I downloaded was software, but I did notice on the home page that it stated H/W & S/W so are you saying I would need to purchase their H/W board as well as using the available S/W download to be able to carry out the test you have suggested?

Sorry to be so dim, but this is very new to me!

Regards,
Brian

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 04, 2020 9:19 pm

2. The only Winbox facility on the MikroTik webpage I downloaded was software
What software? WinBox itself? WinBox is just a configuration tool for RouterOS powered devices. You cannot use it for anything else. :)

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 04, 2020 10:54 pm

OK , no Mikrotik. How did you come to this forum with questions about other devices? I hope PIX-LINK has its own own forum and support path.

To answer the question on the wifi disabled, it is just to make sure your Dell PC is not using the wifi when it should use the ethernet cable. (Normally one of the Dell settings is to disable wifi automatically if ethernet is attached, but you better be sure.)

As you get no respons from that device, and you mention the "wrong" firmware upgrade, you might have "bricked" your device. Bricked means unresponsive and unusable for electronic functions, only usable as a brick or paperweight.

Normally there is yet another procedure to fully reset and reload the firmware in the device. This is very device specific, and only known to PIX-LINK support. They may have documents on this published.

Their support and forum is the way to look for a solution.
If this doesn't exist, then any Internet search engine , like Google, is your friend.
"PIX-LINK bricked" gives me : https://tellopilots.com/threads/bricked ... ater.5212/

But all this has nothing to do with this forum, and I have no experience in that equipment.
I don't know if recommendating the 20$(€) Mikrotik solution would be wise. The "hAP mini" or "hAP Lite" is a solution at a very low cost, but it has the full Mikrotik functionality, and that for you is quite a steep learning curve.

If you are stuck with a Corona lockdown, it's all you need to stay busy the coming weeks or months.

Good Luck

Greystones
just joined
Topic Author

Tue May 05, 2020 6:59 pm

PIX-LINK 300M CMD ping &amp; 'arp -a' checks on PIX-LINK LAN connected device - 5-5-2020 - 1.jpg
PIX-LINK 300M CMD ping &amp; 'arp -a' checks on PIX-LINK LAN connected device - 5-5-2020 - 1.jpg

Thanks again, bpwl, for your comments & all your assistance. Unfortunately, as you probably realise, PING-LINK doesn't appear to yet have a community forum, so it's a case of trying to connect with them by email (which I have been trying to but no replies to date!) as well as others on the net who have posted some videos or comments, which is why I registered on MikroTik. I did have a quick look at the online link you suggested but it didn't seem to offer much assistance. I also did a Google search on bricked-up router/extender & found this website: <https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge> & subsequently their: <https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486> which also suggested a Wireless Bridge test as you had. Although the full test was 'way over my head!' I did have a go at their check to see if the device was in fact bricked. So, I followed their steps & having switched off my WiFi, Kaspersky anti-virus protection, and firewall I made a LAN cable connection between the PIX-LINK device & my laptop. Before proceeding with their ping tests I had done a further Netgear genie Attached Devices check to see what devices were connected as well as an 'arp -a' check with the device connected to my router. These can be seen below on the attached jpgs in No.1. I know what the following un-named devices are on the Netgear genie page: 192.168.1.3 & 4 are my other two extenders(Netgear EX6120) & (Netgear EX3700), whose IP Addresses are primarily: 192.168.1.200 & 192.168.1.250 respectively, but I don't know on this jpg if they are 3 or 4? 192.168.1.21 is my Dell laptop, and 192.168.1.2 is my router admin I think, & 192.168.1.10 is my wife's tablet. This leaves 192.168.1.5 which I am unable to access via that IP Address, so whether that was the PIX-LINK device I wonder, seeing as the downstairs Bush TV wasn't on? JPGs 2-5 are the ping tests, followed by a final 'arp -a' test to see if there were any changes before I restored my laptop protection & wireless. If 192.168.1.5 is the PIX-LINK then according to that Wireless Bridge check it would suggest that the devices firmware is still operating & the MAC Address is assumedly unchanged, despite me being unable to access it?

I have not only emailed PIX-LINK contact person on their website, as well as my UK supplier to request his support to be my advocate with the maker, and I've also emailed iTech Cloud in Poland who have provided a website with a useful video for setting up my PIX-LINK device, & I await their response.

Yes, you're right, our lockdown may mean me having more time to investigate, although we have agitation here to ease the lockdown like other countries, but I am at the ceiling of my know-how & experience and very dependent upon others like you who know far more than I do!! But I am very grateful for your time & assistance even though we still haven't solved the obstacle yet.

With best regards,
Brian

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 05, 2020 7:22 pm

Brian,

ok a few more hints ....

Accessing your PIX-LINK via ethernet cable from your PC is when those devices are connected together. On only those. Not via the Netgear. Disconnect the PC wifi from the Netgear or to any of the other repeaters. Just disconnect the active wifi and don't let it reconnect.. (On a Dell there is even a switch at the side to disable all wireless communication, but disconnect should do.) The PC should get an IP address from the PIX-LINK on the ethernet link.. Then it will also appear in your ARP table (because there was communication)

You can also learn to read MAC addresses. The first 6 characters are normally assigned to one manufacturer. (see https://macvendors.com/ to decode)

The tablet is e0-99-71 , that is a Samsung tablet (Samsung Electronics Co.,Ltd)
Your repeaters (02-09-5b) are not known in the website. But if it starts with 02-09-5b you know what it is.
We are looking for 00:E0:20 , from TECNOMEN OY !?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 05, 2020 7:41 pm

Your repeaters (02-09-5b) are not known in the website.

And can not be, those MAC addresses are locally administered MAC addresses and can be used freely (as long as they are unique within ethernet broadcast domain).

Greystones
just joined
Topic Author

Wed May 06, 2020 1:08 am

Thanks, bpwl, & as I stated in my last post, I disconnected my WiFi & switched off my AV protection & Firewall, before doing the ping tests. The first arp check was before that, but the last one was whilst disconnected.
I did a quick check on the MAC recognition website of the original known MAC address for the PIX-LINK & for 192.168.1.5 but received 'Not Found' for both!
Regards,
Brian

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 06, 2020 1:51 am

Thanks, bpwl, & as I stated in my last post, I disconnected my WiFi & switched off my AV protection & Firewall, before doing the ping tests. The first arp check was before that, but the last one was whilst disconnected.
I did a quick check on the MAC recognition website of the original known MAC address for the PIX-LINK & for 192.168.1.5 but received 'Not Found' for both!
Regards,
Brian
Klembord-2.jpg
ARP is not the ultimate test. First of all did you get an IP address on your ethernet card of the PC? (Or are you setting a static IP address yourselves?)
How can you still have the same IP address for that last "arp -a". screen from your wifi now on the ethernet? Did you get that via DHCP?
Or is 192.168.137.1 your fixed IP address on the ethernet interface ?
Try "ipconfig" command to see what the setting is for the interfaces. (You can copy text from a CMD box / select text and right-mouse-click the top bar of that window)
ARP is misleading you. This is only information that is cached by the PC for a while. Devices in the arp table are not there anymore, at least they should not be there.
And that ARP list is normally gone when the interface is disconnected or down. So your wifi connection is still there in the last screen.

PINGing to 192.168.1.255 makes no sense. This is a broadcast addrress, not an address of a device.

Your repeaters for some reason use "local administered mac addresses" (see post of MKX). So for me 192.168.1.5 was assigned to such a repeater (most probably).

The ethernet cable has to be between your Dell PC and the PIX-LINK. Both devices must have an IP address in the same subnet. Easiest way to do this is having the IP address to be assigned by DHCP (dynamic IP).

Greystones
just joined
Topic Author

Wed May 06, 2020 4:59 pm

Thanks, bpwl, and you were of course right that I had not completely switched off my wireless, only disconnected it. I should have also switched off the WiFi switch at the bottom of the system tray, wireless pop-up which I have just done as well, and after switching off my Kaspersky protection, I cable connected the PIX-LINK LAN port to my laptop & powered up the device. I then did another 'arp -a' & 'IP Config' check on the device and obtained the two jpgs below, which are obviously more correct. It tells me there is no connection to the Wirless-N device - so, have I bricked it up? My laptop I suppose is LAN 10 & 192.168.137.1 ?

In your earlier reply you said this for a test: "Full connection should then be: "Netgear LAN <---> WAN port PIX-LINK LAN port <---> Dell PC". As you are aware, the PIX-LINK device has two ports: an Ethernet & a LAN. Did you therefore mean in the quote above: 'a cable from my router LAN1 port (or LAN2/WAN?) to the LAN port on the PIX-LINK device, as well as a cable from the other ethernet port on the PIX-LINK device to the ethernet/LAN port on my laptop'? If so, what check did you then suggest I do?

I assume the reason why I did not receive TECNOMEN OY (now TECTREE!) was because I had not registered with the MAC website?

Regards,
Brian

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 06, 2020 7:22 pm

Thanks, bpwl, and you were of course right that I had not completely switched off my wireless, only disconnected it. I should have also switched off the WiFi switch at the bottom of the system tray, wireless pop-up which I have just done as well, and after switching off my Kaspersky protection, I cable connected the PIX-LINK LAN port to my laptop & powered up the device. I then did another 'arp -a' & 'IP Config' check on the device and obtained the two jpgs below, which are obviously more correct. It tells me there is no connection to the Wirless-N device - so, have I bricked it up? My laptop I suppose is LAN 10 & 192.168.137.1 ?
Please Brian, do some thinking as well, not just reading. Your ethernet IP address cannot be used to connect to the PIX-LINK it is in the wrong subnet. Please adjust !!! This is windows settings.
You are not connecting through the wireless but with the ethernet, obviously (you just disabled the wireless). Reason for doing this is because you say there is no SSID from the PX-LINK visible. This happens as in that other guys problem, because he disabled the wireless on the PIX-LINK.
I already told you to adjust your IP address on the ethernet interface.:
The ethernet cable has to be between your Dell PC and the PIX-LINK. Both devices must have an IP address in the same subnet. Easiest way to do this is having the IP address to be assigned by DHCP (dynamic IP).
PC connected to the PIX-LINK LAN port. Should be clear that's the only way this can work.
In your earlier reply you said this for a test: "Full connection should then be: "Netgear LAN <---> WAN port PIX-LINK LAN port <---> Dell PC". As you are aware, the PIX-LINK device has two ports: an Ethernet & a LAN. Did you therefore mean in the quote above: 'a cable from my router LAN1 port (or LAN2/WAN?) to the LAN port on the PIX-LINK device, as well as a cable from the other ethernet port on the PIX-LINK device to the ethernet/LAN port on my laptop'? If so, what check did you then suggest I do?
This was just in case, and only in case, there was no DHCP IP address coming from the PIX-LINK. Netgear in the WAN interface, PC in the LAN interface, that's what was here: Netgear LAN <---> WAN port PIX-LINK LAN port <---> Dell PC
I assume the reason why I did not receive TECNOMEN OY (now TECTREE!) was because I had not registered with the MAC website?
I was not logged in, and don't have an account there.

Greystones
just joined
Topic Author

Thu May 07, 2020 12:56 am

bpwl, I have made no secret from the start that I was non-Geek & out-of-my-depth in my knowhow of wireless technology, and hence a slow learner. But at the same time, having apparently messed up my previous successful setup of the Wireless-N extender for our TV Humax PVR by later attempting to update its firmware (even with the PIX-LINK recommended online update file), I am cautious about making matters worse!

However, let me just explain that my reason for doing the latest tests (& jpgs) above was because, as you pointed out correctly, the previous set of tests & jpgs were not done correctly (due to me not actually switching off my wireless card as well as disconnecting from the wireless network) when I tried to do the Wireless Bridge test mentioned in that online article. Furthermore, I have just checked the IP & DHCP settings status for the Wireless-N device & my laptop (which was the only cabled physical connection made in both of the latest tests & jpgs) and they all were already set to automatic, as well as the subnet was set to 255.255.255.0 So, does that make any difference to the results I got?

I have also just tried for interest 'rolling back the driver' of the Wireless-N in my W10 Network Connections Properties, where it is still shown as connected to my main router, but it does not appear to have made any difference to gaining access to it?

FYI, I have also received a reply from my UK Wireless-N supplier, that he has already written to PIX-LINK (as well as I have) chasing them for an answer a.s.a.p.

Regards & thanks,
Brian

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 07, 2020 2:00 am

Furthermore, I have just checked the IP & DHCP settings status for the Wireless-N device & my laptop (which was the only cabled physical connection made in both of the latest tests & jpgs) and they all were already set to automatic, as well as the subnet was set to 255.255.255.0 So, does that make any difference to the results I got?

I have also just tried for interest 'rolling back the driver' of the Wireless-N in my W10 Network Connections Properties, where it is still shown as connected to my main router, but it does not appear to have made any difference to gaining access to it?
Hi Brian,

Don't understand what you mean. " 'rolling back the driver' of the Wireless-N" and "where it is still shown as connected to my main router,"

As I said: "You are not connecting through the wireless but with the ethernet, obviously (you just disabled the wireless). Reason for doing this is because you say there is no SSID from the PX-LINK visible."
So what is under the ethernet adaptor is what is important. The wireless adaptor does not matter when you are connected with the ethernet cable.
Do you mean that the IP address 192.168.137.1 is assigned to the ethernet interface under "automatic" ? Where does it come from ?????
The ipconfig clearly labels the interfaces/adapters .... this one is the "ethernet adapter". And I think that IP address is staticly entered.
Klembord-2.jpg

In the Network Center you have to select Ethernet , not Wifi.

Greystones
just joined
Topic Author

Thu May 07, 2020 11:50 am

The attached jpg yesterday of Network Connections shows Wireless-N on the right, seemingly as though it is still there?
Regards,
Brian

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 07, 2020 11:58 am

The attached jpg yesterday of Network Connections shows Wireless-N on the right, seemingly as though it is still there?
Regards,
Brian
Brian,
enable your ethernet controller on the left (or plug in the cable) and check the IPv4 settings.
And yes here your wifi connection is still enabled and connected to the Netgear router. (It might be set to automaically connect to that network)

Greystones
just joined
Topic Author

Thu May 07, 2020 12:04 pm

Here are another 2 jpgs today that show a Wireless-N connection to my network I'm connected to today. I can't see the 'ethernet' or 'WiFi' setting you refer to above in the Network Center. Please explain more?

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 07, 2020 1:46 pm

I can't see the 'ethernet' or 'WiFi' setting you refer to above in the Network Center. Please explain more?

(Change adapter settings)
Klembord-2.jpg

Right click
---properties
------Internet protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
---------properties
------------automatic IP-address (or if it does not get one when connected to the PIX-LINK one in the range 192.168.1.0 - 192.168.1.253)

Greystones
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 08, 2020 1:59 pm

BPWL, I have just redone the check in the last email & attach below two jpgs showing what I set & got, followed by what the network connections page changed to soon after. Was I meant to do something more than this to try and obtain the IP Addresses you nominated, seeing as nothing appeared? If so, please clarify? And, do I need to change anything back to obtain the page display I had before selecting both to automatic?

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 08, 2020 2:45 pm

You still have the cable unplugged. Or noting at the other end that is powered on ! Says the screenshot ....

Greystones
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 08, 2020 3:10 pm

BPWL, the device was plugged in with its LAN port connected to my laptop & the wireless disabled. Wasn't that what you wanted or dod I do something wrong? The Ethernet LAN connection on network connections was again alternating between what you see on the photo & unidentified network.
Regards,
Brian

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 08, 2020 4:01 pm

Bad cable? Alternating? What if the cable goes to the Netgear instead of the PIX-Link ?

Should NOT be like this
Klembord-2.jpg

I don't care about the "unidentified network" (and there is no Internet connectivity here!) . Check with IPCONFIG

Greystones
just joined
Topic Author

Sat May 09, 2020 12:26 am

BPWL, thanks for your latest comments & queries. I proceeded to do a ethernet cable integrity check with my laptop cabled LAN>LAN to my Netgear D1500 router, and recorded observations both with the wireless connected & disconnected/switched off, since I wasn't sure how you wanted it done? I have attached the resultant jpgs below as well as a SS of my system tray wireless in one of the modes, which I think proves that the cable connection is sound?

Alternating? --- the box statement was switching back & forth between 'Network cable unplugged' & 'Unidentified network'., the latter being shown only fleetingly.

How do you want the ethernet connection made for the IPConfig check? Do you want my laptop connected to the PIX-LINK (or to my router?)? And, do you want the wireless on or disconnected & switched off? I assume then I will use the CMD window & type IPConfig ---- Correct?

Regards,
Brian

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 09, 2020 12:59 am

BPWL, thanks for your latest comments & queries. I proceeded to do a ethernet cable integrity check with my laptop cabled LAN>LAN to my Netgear D1500 router, and recorded observations both with the wireless connected & disconnected/switched off, since I wasn't sure how you wanted it done? I have attached the resultant jpgs below as well as a SS of my system tray wireless in one of the modes, which I think proves that the cable connection is sound?
We want only an ethernet connection now to the PIX-LINK. To be able to surf to the management page 192.168.1.253 to correct the setting to the working of this device to the ones you need and want. (Probably enabling wireless again, and/or giving it a SSID we can recognise, and setting the proper mode of the device)
The wireless connection is of NO interest for this now. It's only confusing as it probably connects to the Netgear, which is not used here.
The easiest way to do ethernet connection is with a DHCP given IP address.from the PIX-LINK. If it fails we have to use the manual IP.
IPCONFIG is only there to see in what status the ethernet interface is in, and what IP address it got.
IPCONFIG is a little bit more direct than the wireless popup of the systemtray (however the ethernet is on the top there as well)

Alternating? --- the box statement was switching back & forth between 'Network cable unplugged' & 'Unidentified network'., the latter being shown only fleetingly.
Let's hope we get this one stable. Or the PIX-LINK is totally lost.It looks like a bad connection, or the connector not fully plugged in.

How do you want the ethernet connection made for the IPConfig check? Do you want my laptop connected to the PIX-LINK (or to my router?)? And, do you want the wireless on or disconnected & switched off? I assume then I will use the CMD window & type IPConfig ---- Correct?

Regards,
Brian
see above answers
ALL your screenshots are for the wireless connection. Not of any use here !
Klembord-2.jpg

Greystones
just joined
Topic Author

Sat May 09, 2020 3:31 pm

BPWL, Thanks for clarifying & I have just done another set of checks with results as shown in the attached jpgs. Once I had disconnected & switched off the wireless network I was unable to try & find the DHCP & IP Addresses as the response told me I wasn't connected! So, after I had obtained what I could (i.e. CMD & Network Status Properties) with no wireless connection, I switched the wireless & connection back on so as I could try and find the Wireless-N DHCP details, but the LINKYS instructions online to do this didn't all apply to my W10 Netgear router setup pages, & all I could find was an Advanced, LAN setup page which included the setting to 'Use router as DHCP' which was altready checked. I did note that on 2 of the Netgear genie pages the Wireless-N original IP Address was given 192.168.1.254 & a MAC Address! Have I missed something to do/check?

Oh, by the way, not all the jpgs last time included were with the wireless on, there was one where the filename excluded 'Wireless', which I have added again below.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 09, 2020 4:46 pm

Wireless is of NO USE here. Don't check or send screenshots on that.

Ethernet is the only connection (local area connection) we need.

The (local area connection) page with address 192.168.1.10 is perfect! Connectvity to internet is not needed here. But this is connected to the Netgear probably, as it gets gateway 192.168.1.1 !? Or not? Manual IP and not connected. Oh no its local area connection 2 , virtual interface for Kaspersky.

Ps: cable = wire ... Wireless = no cable, not via cable

Greystones
just joined
Topic Author

Sun May 10, 2020 12:22 am

BPWL, you've lost me! I understand that wireless is not really wanted, but where did you get 192.168.1.10 from & how am I supposed to use that without wireless, since apart from using CMD for IPConfig & Network status I haven't managed to get to a DHCP page? How am I supposed to use 192.168.1.10 with a LAN connection just between my laptop & the PIX-LINK, Wireless-N device, and obtain the information you are looking for? Or, do you want me to LAN connect the device to my router & then what?

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 10, 2020 1:56 am

BPWL, you've lost me! I understand that wireless is not really wanted, but where did you get 192.168.1.10 from & how am I supposed to use that without wireless, since apart from using CMD for IPConfig & Network status I haven't managed to get to a DHCP page? How am I supposed to use 192.168.1.10 with a LAN connection just between my laptop & the PIX-LINK, Wireless-N device, and obtain the information you are looking for? Or, do you want me to LAN connect the device to my router & then what?
Aantekening 2020-05-10 004541.jpg
Brian, you did not find the wireless SSID from the PIX-LINK. The wireless is probably set to OFF. Therefore you must ethernet LAN connect the PIX-LINK and your laptop.
2 devices needed, one ethernet cable. The ethernet cable goes from your laptop ethernet port to the LAN ethernet port of the PIX-LINK. That is the only connection that should be made.
Aantekening 2020-05-10 002821.jpg
The corresponding interface in windows is "Local area connection" (not "Local area connection 2 or 3"). If the cable is connected we even have a LED to indicate this on the laptop and on the PIX-LINK
Aantekening 2020-05-10 001306.jpg
The setting of "Local area connection" on the PC is to "Obtain an IP address automatically" (That is the DHCP client setting).
In the normal default mode (you did a factory reset!) then the PIX-LINK should run a DHCP server
Aantekening 2020-05-10 002102.jpg
If it does not run a DHCP server, the factory reset was not executed properly. Or never mind, you will enter a fixed IP address like 192.168.1.30 , but NOT 192.168.1.254 (thats the PIX-LINK)
You already did this, even many times, and gave screenshots. Only you are ALWAYS DOING IT ON WIRELESS !!! It has to be done on "Local area connection" ! Wireless is not used here.at all.
Ethernet does not need wireless, for nothing. "how am I supposed to use that without wireless," is irrelevant.

Then you will connect to the PIXLINK with a browser to http://192.168.1.254 or http://myrepeater.net
Aantekening 2020-05-10 003756.jpg
It is all simple in the manual ...
Aantekening 2020-05-10 004133.jpg
Just follow the manual: http://pmod1b8a3.pic8.websiteonline.cn/ ... nGuide.pdf

Bye Brian

Greystones
just joined
Topic Author

Mon May 11, 2020 12:48 am

BPWL, thanks for your detailed reply.& just to say that the last tests were done with just the ethernet connection from my laptop to the PIX-LINK device, with the wireless disabled ---- and I repeated this arrangement today before attempting to open the URL's 192.168.1.10/24 via a browser but neither URL would connect, the latter saying there was no internet! I also tried to reach those URL's via the CMD prompt but you can see on the attached jpg that they too returned nothing, as well as for an IPConfig. I also did CMD ping tests on those 3 URLs (see attched JPG). So, what do you make of that?
Regards,
Brian

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 16, 2020 2:15 pm

Nothing will work if the physical connection is not OK.
Klembord-2.jpg
Everything stops here. Go no further unless this is fixed.

And the CMD box is not a browser as far as I know.

Greystones
just joined
Topic Author

Sat May 16, 2020 4:17 pm

Thanks, bpwl, for replying with comments. Does 'Media disconnected' in this case mean the PIX-LINK device or something more? As I mentioned previously, no broswer I opened would open either of the factory default URLs or the other 192.168.1.10, so the only app that gave some details with those URLs was CMD! I assume the device is 'bricked up' well & truly?
Regards,
Brian

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 16, 2020 4:48 pm

Does 'Media disconnected' in this case mean the PIX-LINK device or something more?
Media disconected means either that the cable is not connected on either end, or cable is broken, or ethernet on either end is not working properly. If you can verify that cable is fine and PC's ethernet is fine, and PIX-LINK is switched on, then this means the other end (PIX-LINK) is likely toast one way or another.

Greystones
just joined
Topic Author

Sat May 16, 2020 4:52 pm

Well put, bpwl, & therefore 'bricked up'!
Thanks for all your patience & assistance,
Best wishes & keep safe,
Brian

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 16, 2020 4:55 pm

Thanks, bpwl, for replying with comments. Does 'Media disconnected' in this case mean the PIX-LINK device or something more? As I mentioned previously, no broswer I opened would open either of the factory default URLs or the other 192.168.1.10, so the only app that gave some details with those URLs was CMD! I assume the device is 'bricked up' well & truly?
Regards,
Brian
"media disconnected" means there is no ethernet connection made to your laptop. And as the PIX-LINK is supposed to be at the other end of the ethernet cable, there are few possibilities of interruption. Your laptop ethernet port is supposed to be OK (could be tested with the router). The cable could me either disconnected or broken.The PIX-LINK could be powered off or has a malfunction in its LAN ethernet port. (bricked device). I already indicated there is a green LED on the PIX-LINK that will indicate if the PIX-LINK sees an ethernet connection or not. Plugging in and out of the cable should be followed by the LED. If not the PIX-LINK is bricked indeed.

Next steps are just useless until there is the ethernet connection.

192.168.1.10 is your Kaspersky virtual ethernet connector. Not related to the PIX-LINK. Its not a physical connector.

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat May 16, 2020 5:10 pm

Next steps are just useless until there is the ethernet connection.
@bpwl --- You do have the patience of Job ..... my deepest respect for your efforts. :)

Greystones
just joined
Topic Author

Sat May 16, 2020 5:59 pm

BPWL, there are only 2 green LEDs alight now on the PIX-LINK, even when the ethernet cable is plugged in to my laptop. But, not the case when using the same cable to connect my laptop to my router when the additional LAN port on the router lights-up. So, as you say, the device is 'bricked-up'!
Regards,
Brian