Community discussions

MikroTik App

m3trackboy
just joined
Topic Author

Admin access via the internet

Sat May 09, 2020 2:57 pm

Hi
I'm having trouble accessing a MikroTik SXT-R over the internet.
I've enabled the VPN an put in a password.
To test the VPN I set up a VPN to the local ip on my local network and this connected and in PPP under active connections it showed the connection.

When i try over the internet using bxxdxbxxd508.sn.mynetname.net it cant connect.
It looks to me that the DDNS isn't working. Do i have to register anything with MikroTik or should the DDNS just work?

Many thanks

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Admin access via the internet

Sat May 09, 2020 9:14 pm

What dyndns service are you using?
How does the dyndns service get updated if your WANIP changes?

You can use the free one such as dynu and assign a C-name and then point that at the available MT cloud ddns name and updates are done that way, thus avoiding putting a script on the router.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 09, 2020 9:19 pm

What is the VPN you mention about ?

m3trackboy
just joined
Topic Author

Sun May 10, 2020 5:36 pm

Fairly new to the MikroTic product but was under the impression each router had a unique DDNS supplied by MikroTik as a free service. The VPN I'm talking about is to access the router's GUI remotely across the internet.

From what i can gather you just need to enable the VPN tick-box put in a password for the user "vpn" and use the unique server address to access the unit using a VPN client.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 10, 2020 6:54 pm

Say what? Where is this super simple magical VPN tick box.
Bud, some one sold you a river of complete BS. VPN setup on a router is not trivial.
Yes the dddns on the MT is free but the user name is not friendly.
For example I use dynu (free service) and a C-name functonality it provides to point a friendlier name, for people to use, that points at the butt ugly long assed MT name.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 10, 2020 7:32 pm

Where is this super simple magical VPN tick box.
I wonder that too...

mszru
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun May 10, 2020 8:56 pm

"VPN Access" checkbox the QuickSet window...

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 10, 2020 9:40 pm

"VPN Access" checkbox the QuickSet window...
Step one - stop using QuickSet. QuickSet sort of can be used one time for an initial setup (ONLY IF YOU REALLY NEED TO), but as soon as you make ANY other change to the router config, then NEVER AGAIN touch QuickSet.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 11, 2020 12:36 am

The only reason to use quickset is to study it as the much of the default config is set there.
Once you see where those commands are in the regular sections of the router config (interface, dhcp client, IP firewall etc.) you will understand the limitations and pitfalls of trying to use quickset for anything other than an initial starting place. (no thread I have seen ever talks about setting up vpn via quickset - surprised there is such a beast as there is nothing quick about VPN).

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon May 11, 2020 9:36 am

The VPN checkbox is a good option. It creates a IPsec/L2TP server setup and provides you with some credentials too. Nothing could be easier for a beginner.

m3trackboy
just joined
Topic Author

Mon May 11, 2020 10:50 am

Thanks for the reply's.

I used Quick set as it was the first time I've used this product, after 30 minutes I had downloaded WinBox.

Normis can you confirm that i don't need to register the device to activate the DDNS?

There seems to be some confusion about what i'm trying to do with this MikroTik SXT-R.
I want to access the GUI across the internet, MikroTic provide a ready made VPN setup in the firmware of the unit, to activate in WinBox the very top option is called Quick-set, in this menu is a tick box for VPN Access I've ticked this, as Normis says this creates a IPsec/L2TP server. I've entered a password for the default account called "vpn".
There is a pre-populated VPN address of the format bxxxxxxxxxx.sn.mynetname.net, this i believe is the unique DDNS that MikroTik give free with each unit.

I set up a Windows 10 VPN client and couldn't connect but if I set up the VPN client using the local ip (192.168.88.1) on that subnet I can connect and under PPP can see the active connection.
This suggests to me the IPsec/L2TP server is working fine it's just the DDNS that isn't resolving back to the router.

The unit i'm using the SXT-R not sure if this applies across the MikroTik range.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 11, 2020 4:13 pm

Thanks Normis, seemingly another great feature without any fanfare of it being advertised and is there a decent write up on it?
New addition??

In any case for the OP, lets get the normal setup (without using VPN yet) working and then we can tackle something new.........

m3trackboy
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 15, 2020 5:25 pm

Any other ideas?

Mikrotik's free DDNS doesn't seem to work. Would love to get it going.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 15, 2020 5:31 pm

It should work. Mine does.
No way to tell what the issue(s) may be without a full look.
/export hide-sensitive file=anynameyouwish

solar77
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon May 18, 2020 3:30 pm

before even getting into DDNS and VPN, lets start from the basics, how do you get your Internet?

this lead to another question, do you have a public facing IP address?
even dynamically (this is where DDNS could work for you) ?

if you are on a 4G / LTE network, most likely, you get a private IP from your mobile network which would explain why you won't be able to setup VPN INTO the SXT. Because you are sharing the same Public IP address with a number of other customers.