Community discussions

MikroTik App

B73C
just joined
Topic Author

Metal5SHPn-US on a sailboat...

Fri May 15, 2020 7:09 pm

Hello all, first post...

I've purchased a Metal5SHPn-US from Amazon (and upgraded to v6.46.6) for my sailboat so that I may latch onto a distant marina wifi and redistribute it on my boat via a wireless router.

Down here in St Maarten, I cannot see *any* wireless networks, not even the ones I broadcast with my phone or other hotspot device. I also cannot see any 2.4Ghz networks... Is that what the 5 in the model name means? Where am I going wrong?

I have an older Ubiquiti Bullet M2 that works, but only sees the older 2.4Ghz networks, so I thought the MikroTik would be a nice upgrade. Hmm, I'm using the antenna from the Bullet on the Metal, would it not pull in the proper frequencies for the Metal?

Did I buy the wrong device for what I'm doing? Also, since i presume this device is locked to the US, is this the wrong unit to be trying to connect in other countries?

Thank you for any input.

B73C

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Metal5SHPn-US on a sailboat...

Fri May 15, 2020 8:24 pm

If you have a Metal 52SHPn then It is capable of both 2.4ghz & 5Ghz. You would need to choose one or the other in the Wireless section.

You have a US version which is locked to US legal frequencies. Both France and Dutch sides of the Island will use some of the same 5Ghz frequencies as the US and the US, France & Netherlands all use the same frequencies 1-11 in the 2.4ghz band so you should see some AP's if your Metal is set up as a station.

Your problem involves your configuration. Use the command "/export hide-sensitive file=yourfilename" to create a copy of your configuration. The copy will load into Files and can be moved to your computer so that you can place in your forum thread for everyone to check.

The antenna used on your Bullet will be tuned to 2.4 Mhz. It will receive strong 5ghz signals but will not have any significant gain.

B73C
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 15, 2020 9:01 pm

Thanks for the information.

Since the model of my Metal is missing the 2 (5SHPn and not a 52SHP-n) can I safely assume it is not capable of 2.4Ghz? I have looked all through the configuration but can't change the band. Do you suggest I get an international version based on the travels I will be doing to many other foreign countries, or is the benefit with an international version not needed?

I will try and source a 5Ghz antenna here. Any suggestions as to what criteria I should be looking for with regards to a marine environment and trying to use it over very long distances?

Attached is my configuration file for any other suggestions.

Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 15, 2020 9:21 pm

Since the model of my Metal is missing the 2 (5SHPn and not a 52SHP-n) can I safely assume it is not capable of 2.4Ghz?
Yes, that's correct. Your device is 5GHz only.
More product specs here: https://mikrotik.com/product/RBMetal5SHPn