Community discussions

MikroTik App

PhilipParkes
just joined
Topic Author

A desperate cry for help.

Sun May 24, 2020 10:29 am

How-zit guy's and Gals....

The name is Phil, I'm from South Africa.

I'm having a HUGE problem with a single device on my Mikrotik RB2011 UiAS-RM coupled with a TPlink EAP225 access point.

So to make a long story short, I run a smart home with around 60 odd WiFi devices, I am a complete noob when it comes to networking though.

All my devices run like a dream, no problems whatsoever, except 1.... my Nvidia shield 2019 tube model, plugged in with a cat 5 cable directly into port 2 on the routerboard.

The internet is erratic, on and off and on and off and network drops and back on again, it cant keep a network signal for longer than 10 minutes at a time. (this only started happening 4 days ago, it was perfectly fine before that, and I didn't do any app updates or anything to change anything of any sorts) also happens whether on Ethernet or WiFi.

I've had 6 different IT guys fiddle with router setting in WinBox over TeamViewer and they all came to the conclusion that my Nvidia Shield is broken.

Yesterday I bought a brand new Nvidia Shield, came home, plugged it in, and THE EXACT SAME ISSUE!!! And the IT guys again told me, the Nvidia Shield came broken out the box, which I find highly unlikely and somewhat completely retarded.

I decided to try and prove them wrong and took a TPlink TL-WA850RE range extender, connected it my my WiFi system, and plugged my Nvidia Shield into the range extender with a ethernet cable, and it works like a charm, however very slow as expected. So there DEFINITELY is nothing wrong with my Nvidia Shield.

We've tried Static IP addresses, turned off IPv6, turned off rtsp, factory resets of the shield, turned off ARP, tried literally everything we could find and the issue persists on the mikrotik.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this or have any advice for me whatsoever, as I'm about to throw the routerboard in the bin and buy something else.. lol..

PLEASE !! lol.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: A desperate cry for help.

Sun May 24, 2020 2:13 pm

/export hide-sensitive file=anynameyouwish

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 24, 2020 3:03 pm

And also edit your subject in the first post to describe what your problem is, and not just asking for help.
Ans when posting the config of your router, post it in code tags as text and not just upload the file.
Some like this

mutluit
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun May 24, 2020 5:05 pm

@PhilipParkes, can you also try the "Pro" version of that Nvidia device?
And: how fast is your WAN link?
And: since you say the error started only 4 days ago: maybe your device could have been hacked and something else is running in parallel... Check... :-)

dalami
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue May 26, 2020 5:27 am

You mentioned a couple of connections - I read "ethernet cable to Nvidia" and later "ethernet cable to TP-Link". You didn't specify if the same cable was being used. If the same cable - forget I asked. If different cables...might be just that simple.

gazingbazooka
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue May 26, 2020 6:22 pm

CAT5 cable though!? I dont think that's the issue but I dont even know where to get a CAT5 cable these days.