Community discussions

MikroTik App

kohral
just joined
Topic Author

Router Public IP

Mon May 25, 2020 1:57 pm

Good afternoon, colleagues. A question arose regarding the operation of the Mikrotik Router.

The situation is as follows: the router is configured to serve three pairs of WAN-LAN. These are three different providers and three different local networks, each of which has its own characteristics. They do not mix and are not related to each other. Naturally, each WAN port has its own external STATIC IP.

The problem is that the router is monitored by the Zabbix ​​system, which requires sending pings to the specified external IP. Each time the router is rebooted, the public address changes to one of three available, and they change in a way that is not clear to me. The remaining two external static IPs are makes not available for pings. So after every reboot router randomly changes its public IP and Zabbix gets error that "ICMP ping is unavailable"...

Maybe there is some way to make Public IP static?

Thanks

mutluit
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Router Public IP

Wed May 27, 2020 7:48 am

Use DDNS. Ie. you need to assign static domain-names to your public IPs, and add them into the public DNS system,
and update in the DNS system each time the IP changes.
And your tools shall use the static domain-names, not the IPs...
See
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Tools/Dynamic_DNS
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:IP/Cloud#DDNS

solar77
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Router Public IP

Thu May 28, 2020 1:40 pm

@kohral
good writing work. I actually enjoyed reading it.

althrough I am not 100% clear on what you meant by
The remaining two external static IPs are makes not available for pings. So after every reboot router randomly changes its public IP and Zabbix gets error that "ICMP ping is unavailable"
but my assumption is:
you use a script within the router to ping an external IP, so it knows this router is online but you have no control over which WAN interface this ping traffic goes out of. is this correct?
or is actualy this Zabbix system is to ping one of your static IP but the ping fails as the response came out of a diffirent static IP?

in any case, it can be corrected by "mark routing" the ping traffic and make sure traffic with this routing mark is heading to the correct gateway (WAN interface)
hope this helps