Community discussions

MikroTik App

cw1nte
just joined
Topic Author

Can I do one wlan nat & other wlan as AP for Airplay discovery

Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:14 pm

hAP ac lite, 6.45.1: I've run very happily for 9 months giving garden and outdoor office one radio on 2GHz the other on 5GHz, the hAP is ethernet wired from its location halfway up the garden to the ISP cable-modem/router. I've remote logging set up and do not want to scrap what I have done. Now I'd like to play music from my office set up (where I have long play lists etc) and audio kit (Bose) in the house...
I read Airplay (1&2) need a flat broadcast network with no countable hops to do (Bonjour?) discovery.
I do most configuration and exploring of RouterOS etc via the web interface to the terminal or WebFig, I am Mac based.

I am hoping to keep my 5GHz wlan1 behind NAT, as at present, for main normal use and set the 2GHz wlan2 to provide the widest coverage Airplay /Bonjour facilities (1 the music but also 2 discover office printers from the house devices on the ISP modem/router).

I hope this should be easy, but have not yet made sense of the RouterOS structure (which seems like component lego bricks to fit together: bridge2? routing entries?) I must set up, nor how best to configure their options to get the flat repeater/AP function on the 2 GHz link. Also assume I should try to use DHCP from the ISP router, but will that work?

Maybe the ISP modem/router, VirginMedia's Super Hub, can't handle 2 types of data coming in on one ethernet connection. I do not want to run another long wire so if so would I be left with options of a vlan or wifi uplink over the same wlan2? (I do not think bandwidth will be a problem.)
I assume adding an extra cheap hardware option is unlikely to help unless it is a simple repeater at the edge of the house with enough range to get to my office (about 40m/130ft)

First posting, all help ideas will be gratefully received.
London, UK

cw1nte
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Can I do one wlan nat & other wlan as AP for Airplay discovery

Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:27 am

Bump? 27 viewers but no suggestions yet... Maybe this IS hard??

cw1nte
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:02 pm

not having heard any ideas yet I'm considering putting a simple old router on the end on the cat V cable location that is half way to the garden office. One ethernet port could run to the MKT which can continue as is presently with the 2 NAT wlans and then (simple old router can) also offer a wifi function as a simple access point... I have a Linksys DIR655 that could come back out of retirement...
Can anyone confirm my (uneducated) thinking on this?

I prefer not to have multiple devices running for such a minor occasional use but I can see there might be complications having 2 different types of connection coming in to the ISP router/modem on one cat V wire. But if the plan above with the extra device would work (and I assume it could) then sounds like the ISP router/modem should be OK with it and so I wonder again: could I not do the same within the one MKT hAP ac lite??

Thanks for your attention!

cw1nte
just joined
Topic Author

Help from Bernard...

Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:52 pm

OP here: OK so I PM'd Bernard (bpwl) on this, in case he had not noticed my posting. He came back with an answer that I will share below in case anyone else finds this useful... I will also detail/clarify my confusions and experience from here on!

Question is how do you connect to that house network? By cable? [OP: YES, I have cat V ethernet to house from the hAP]
Then one has to create a simple AP (mode= AP bridge), ethernet from house network and this wlan connected to separate bridge "house".
OP: sounds simple though I'm a bit unclear where one would specify (or not) if NAT, DHCP are needed but maybe that is all set under the mode=AP bridge... Secondly I'm unclear if this will be seen as a hop since Airplay discovery only works via broadcasting in a local segment, as far as I have understood... Time to try it and see!

[OP again: I assume this covers the case where my uplink to house is over wifi, hence the scan and find the radio network data of the house. I've seen that on YouTube info from MKT, although that was with Winbox which I'd not be able to use on Apple kit. My interest was drawn to the virtual plan running on the same radio with wlan1 which I guess provides the shared in-bandwidth uplink. I'm not quite clear about the implications/requirements around same SSID&password; in my situation I'm not worried about roaming as my kit stays in place 99% of the time.]
If one wants to emulate the repeater, then make one. "Setup repeater" might change too much. So do it manually. Set the repeater wlan, lets say wlan1 as "mode=pseudo bridge". Connect to the home network (scan, select, set security). Create virtual wlan3 on this wlan1. Set this wlan3 as for the AP. Connect wlan1 and wlan3 to a separate bridge "house".

Regards
Bernard

cw1nte
just joined
Topic Author

Next step of my attempts...

Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:14 pm

OK, at the start my simple 2 radio wlans at 2 & 5GHz are both NAT & DHCP : I think that must be true because the hAP is assigning IP addresses and lists me in that, the range is 192.168.88.* where the house is 192.168.0.*
I'm looking in WebFig>Interfaces
Both wlan1 and wlan2 both say they are already in mode "AP bridge", so nothing to change there... (?)
What I do not YET "get" is where and how they were set to do the right sort of linkage across to the ethernet_house connection (I started with the simple "Quick Set" setup) ...

So I'm looking into the DHCP bit... in WebFig under IP...submenu>DHCP Server and the Networks tab.
I see ;;;defconf created (?) my local 192.168.88.0/24 with the hAP as gateway at 192.168.88.1. If I click the detail on that there is nothing under WINS/NAT/DNS/DHCP options.
(I had tried creating a new "House extender" network defined as 192.168.0.200/32 with gateway and DNS at 192.168.0.1, but maybe that will be incompatible with the hAP already being 192.168.88.1.... Anyway I have it inactive until I have some idea what bits to create and how they can be plugged together...)

Maybe I'm making this too hard? A little knowledge is...
Seems to me I should be able to make sense of all this!! (feel free to LOL, readers!)

Retiring with brain ache, but "I'll be back"...

mutluit
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:02 pm

Sorry, what is the question?

cw1nte
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:32 pm

@mutluit: sorry yeah did not frame as a question really. More trying to set out where and how I tried to use Web Fig to apply what had been suggested. I think I may need to define new ports from a new "home extender" bridge to BOTH a local network on 192.168.0.200/26 or similar AND an ethernet link the ISP (as new or reusing the one also serving wlan2 and NAT)?
But I find it very confusing to create the AP in RouterOS style, and am not even sure if two ports can be added to one network (the wired uplink).
If anyone could spell out step by step what needs to be done it would really help!
Something along the lines of:
1. Create a new bridge with the following options ...
2. Add a new port on that which....
3. Then add another port with ...
4. Now define....
5. next.... and check that...
6. Finally disable the old wlan1 and bridge and ....
A few diagnostic/checks to do in router on from terminal would be great...
e.g. You should see traffic on... when you .... and traceroute to .... should show...

mutluit
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:07 pm

Sorry, but I still don't think anybody understands what you really want to achieve.
Your question should be short and precise.
Sorry, I can't help as I don't understand the problem. Maybe someone else can help.
It's really frustrating to read such imprecise postings.

cw1nte
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:55 am

I appreciate the problem and thanks for trying. I thought I had set it out fairly well in my first posting.
Is there any way to add a diagram? see screen shot below of quick setup used.
Or get a listing in the routerOS terminal or elsewhere which defines everything that is set up at present? then at least my start point could be clearer...

I read up on Airplay and it is a zero (or 1?) step local broadcast system only on the most local LAN segment (as I understand).
My audio devices are on the house LAN served via wifi by the ISP's router/modem as 192.168.0.x.
From the house an ethernet cable runs to a point in the garden where the hAP can serve my office and outside spaces.
I want to use Airplay from devices on the hAP (currently NAT/DHCP etc) router.

I believe I may be able to get this working if one hAP wlan1 is changed over to act as an access point or repeater type function.
I still want the NAT/DHCp on the other wlan2, and the sys logging etc I have set up.

I do not understand what I need create and link to do this, if it is even possible.
Since I think I could do it using 2 devices and the hAP seems very flexible I think it can be done, but have found no clues about how to do that.

So I am asking for a step by step what to add/change OR, failing that, some idea how bridges, their ports and devices (with their modes) fit together (and where NAT/DHCP and address ranges are set up).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mutluit
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:05 pm

There are multiple solutions possible:
1) Give the WAN port an IP from the same subnet (192.168.0.y), disable NAT on hAP, connect the WAN port (usually ether1) of hAP to the other router,
configure wlan so that it gives via DHCP IP addresses from the same subnet 192.168.0.z

2) Set the hAP into Bridge Mode, so that it uses IPs in the same subnet 192.168.0.z, configure wlan so that it gives via DHCP IP addresses from the same subnet 192.168.0.z

3) Don't use the WAN port, instead connect the hAP via a LAN port to the other router, use same subnet 192.168.0.x, configure wlan so that it gives via DHCP IP addresses from the same subnet 192.168.0.z

Ie. disable NAT on hAP and use the same subnet as the other router, and configure wlan so that it gives via DHCP IP addresses from the same subnet 192.168.0.z

cw1nte
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:09 pm

There are multiple solutions possible:
1) Give the WAN port an IP from the same subnet (192.168.0.y), disable NAT on hAP, connect the WAN port (usually ether1) of hAP to the other router,
configure wlan so that it gives via DHCP IP addresses from the same subnet 192.168.0.z

2) Set the hAP into Bridge Mode, so that it uses IPs in the same subnet 192.168.0.z, configure wlan so that it gives via DHCP IP addresses from the same subnet 192.168.0.z

3) Don't use the WAN port, instead connect the hAP via a LAN port to the other router, use same subnet 192.168.0.x, configure wlan so that it gives via DHCP IP addresses from the same subnet 192.168.0.z

Ie. disable NAT on hAP and use the same subnet as the other router, and configure wlan so that it gives via DHCP IP addresses from the same subnet 192.168.0.z
Thanks for reply. Sounds like you are saying I can't split the functions so I have NAT on wlan1 (with 192.168.88.x) and flat repeater like function on wlan2 (with DHCP from either hAP or the base modem/router - I would not mind either but trust the hAP more)? I kind of assumed I could switch the whole device over but wanted to retain what I have as far as possible.

Another option I have considered is if I can persuade the audio unit (Bose) to attach to the garden network from the hAP. It might just be in range. That would allow me to test the value and performance of the idea. It might also stop control of the music by a device in the house that switches away from the garden network - it is good being able to control the audio player from anywhere and any phone/tablet... But I can look into how well/badly that works. Note that music is not streamed from portable devices to the Bose unit - it streams direct from web radio/ Spotify etc the devices just tell it what I want (and save presets etc).