Community discussions

MikroTik App

tecnix
just joined
Topic Author

Remote management

Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:28 am

Hello, I'm currently using rb3011uias-rm as my main wisp router. Does the router have remote management so that I don't have to be physically connected to the router when registering up new clients on my network. I configure ip addresses manually for my clients.
Kindly assist

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Remote management

Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:46 pm

I remotely manage via IKEv2 VPN tunnel and but I am just a home user.
Suggest that VPN is the safe way to do so, lesser methods include some port knocking techniques.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Remote management

Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:24 pm

There are several ways that vary in convenience and security. Preface: I DO NOT RECOMMEND the first couple!!!
The absolute simplest is to allow WinBox or WebFig access via your internet connection <-- NOT RECOMMENDED
A couple things you can do that somewhat improve the security of that. Use of a non-standard port, and restricting access by IP.
I still do not recommend doing that. WAY TOO EASY to get hacked.

Multi-step Port knocking - preferably in conjunction with non-standard ports and IP restrictions gets better.

If you have a computer inside your LAN that is always powered up that you can access via remote access software (VNC, TeamViewer, AnyDesk, etc), use that computer remotely to access the router and prevent any direct access to the router from the internet.

A VPN is likely the best.

A combination of several of these methods adds a layer in both complication and security.