Community discussions

MikroTik App

nicobar
just joined
Topic Author

Help configure SXT LTE6 as passthrough modem

Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:51 pm

Hi to all,

I just got a SXT LTE6 (latest stable RouterOS 6.47) as a drop-in replacement for a cheap Netgear LB1111 LTE router/modem that I use in my dual WAN setup consisting of a dual WAN router Lynksis LRT224 + Asus ADSL router modem + LTE modem)

What I have working now:
- A SXT LTE6 in factory settings, that works perfectly as a DHCP router (I just had to add the correct APN)
- A LTE SIM with public IP (I have a public IP from TIM to use it with dyndns,com, always works fine with the Netgear LB1111)
- a NetGear LB1111 router, which is setup to what they call "Bridge Mode" (as opposed to "Router mode"), tipically connected to one of the WAN ports of the dual router. When I connect it directly to a single Win10 PC (which is setup with Automatic IP in network config),the PC gets automatically the public IP that comes from the LTE provider (pingable from outside and updated in dyndns.com)

What I need help with:
- setting up the LTE6 to behave exactly as the LB1111: turn it on with a single PC attached directly to ethernet1, the LTE6 connects, and the PC gets the public IP and goes to internet

What I tried unsuccessfully, one at a time or in various combinations:
- instructions provided at https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Bridging ... T%20device.
- deselect NAT and DHCP from the quick menu
- disable bridge entirely
- bridge the WAN and ethernet 1 connections
- bridge only ethernet 1
- bridge only WAN
- enabled RoMON to connect when I lost connectivty, not much help as I always had to reset every time I lost connection
- played from both ethernet1 and ethernet2 (unit is always powered by ethernet1)

Can anybody help me? I am not a pro but I always successfully configured the LRT224, various ubiquiti devices, but here I am really stuck.

Thanks!

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Help configure SXT LTE6 as passthrough modem

Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:54 am

nicobar
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:06 pm

Ok,

Eventually I was able to make it work from Winbox as passthough. There may be better solutions, but this one worked from me: the trick is to bridge the LTE connection to one of the ethernet ports, AFTER removing that same ethernet port from the Bridge connection the unit comes with as default.
From Winbox:
- Go to Bridge -> Ports -> disable ethernet 2; by doing this, ethernet 2 is no longer 'slave' of the default bridge
- Go to Interfaces -> LTE -> Press 'LTE APNs' button -> double click on the default entry with your APN name -> In the bottom pull down list 'Passthrough Interface': select ethernet 2
- From the QuickSet menu: disable 'DHCP Server' and NAT (Leave Firewall Router on); double check the IP address of your choice

With the above settings, after reboot, it will behave as a passthough LTE modem on ethernet 2. I was able to connect it to a single PC which gets the public LTE ip. I can also plug ethernet 2 to one of the WAN ports of my dual router LRT224, and it works just fine.
As noted somewhere else, the PC connected to ethernet 2 can no longer manage the LTE6, not via winbox not via web page. I enabled RoMON but it does not help, perhaps I am not doing it right. However, I always have ethernet 1 to manage the unit, as a matter of fact I am now living with ethernet 2 connected to the WAN port of the dual router for navigation, and ethernet 1 to one of the switch ports just for management.

Hope this helps somebody with my same problem, it worked for me, anybody feel free to improve if you know more.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:21 pm

anybody feel free to improve if you know more.
You can do a bonding at both ethernet ports - good if your LTE can reach more then 100Mb, record at SXTR is 185/35Mbps.
That bonding use 2x vlans, one for passthrough and second for management.

The next device of course must support bonging and vlans.

Mikrofan7
just joined

Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:14 pm

Hope this helps somebody with my same problem, it worked for me, anybody feel free to improve if you know more.
Thank you very much! I got nearly mad not getting it to work. Your solution works perfectly!

adamdavi3s
just joined

Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:52 pm

I have tried and tried and tried to get this to work but I can't find the right config.

I am running my SXTR into a Draytek WAN2 port.

At the moment it is all working OK, except that I manually have to add the Mikrotik router IP as a DNS address to any device on the network, otherwise it doesn't work. I have NAT enabled on the Mikrotik but not DHCP and no passthrough.

I just tried to follow your instructions on how to set the passthrough, but it just totally failed- it could be the settings I have on my DrayTek (I am using the static IP). I had Ether1 plugged into my switch and ether2 as the passthrough and plugged into WAN2 but I didn't get any connection (even with ether2 connected directly to the laptop) to the LTE or to the Mikrotik. Once I plugged Ether1 back in WAN2 then I could get back to the GUI to reset the system to my "working" setup.

I did have one issue whereby I had to disable IPv6 interface on my APN (its set to lte1 at the moment) as the Mikrotik would not let me configure passthrough while that was enabled.

Any suggestions welcomed!

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:56 pm

I am running my SXTR into a Draytek WAN2 port.
Any suggestions welcomed!
SXTR have two ports, they can be separated, bonding, bridged and have vlans-s on it.... I not know what you do.
Draytek as WAN2 must have a dhcp client on it and be connected directly else you must provide it mac-address.
Works me and my setup. Show your setup

adamdavi3s
just joined

Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:05 pm

SXTR have two ports, they can be separated, bonding, bridged and have vlans-s on it.... I not know what you do.
Draytek as WAN2 must have a dhcp client on it and be connected directly else you must provide it mac-address.
Works me and my setup. Show your setup

Hi @SiB,

Thank you I am just about to have another go at it now.

I have

Draytek:
WAN1- connected to DSL PPPoE
WAN2- connected to the Mikrotik Ether1 at the moment, I have this set up as direct IP connection to 192.168.88.1

The DrayTek should be handling all the routing, it is providing IPs fine etc

Mikrotik:
I have my APN set up and working fine, I have turned DHPC off but I have left NAT on.

Everything appears to be working, except for the fact that every device using WAN2 on the DrayTek > Mikrotik requires the Mikrotik IP adding as a DNS server which does appear to be causing a few issues.

I've trawled through everything on here and I am going to try:

Disconnecting everything from the DrayTek except the Mikrotik.
Removing ether2 from the bridge
setting the APN to IPv4 only
Setting the APN to passthrough to ether2
Switching NAT off

When I set the passthrough MAC, do I set this to the MAC set on the DrayTek WAN2 PORT?

Edit:
Another spectacular fail!
However this time I did notice that on the quickset page, the IP address in the internet section was blank so maybe EE just can't handle having IPv6 switched off?
Although not sure this is correct as I have the IP Type set to IPv4 only
IPv6 interface is set to LAN1 but I switched that to NONE when I was trying the above

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:47 pm

Maybe easier for start is just setup SXTR without bridge, means Ether1 as power + mgmt but Ether2 as Passthrough interface itself.

Drayter or whatever device should not have any IP like 192.168.88.x at all, Draytek at WAN2 port should have only dhcp client running and receive internet directly from LTE1 interface at SXTR.

Means, your sxtr should give own IP from lte1 to your draytek2.
If your ISP give you a Public IP then this IP will be directly assigned at your Draytek@wan2 port just like the same Draytek have that sim card inside him.

The management is necceserry for as as way to connect again to that sxtr and do stuff with it. I prefer the vlan way but you can use this 2 interface of sxtr at start !

adamdavi3s
just joined

Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:47 pm

Maybe easier for start is just setup SXTR without bridge, means Ether1 as power + mgmt but Ether2 as Passthrough interface itself.

Drayter or whatever device should not have any IP like 192.168.88.x at all, Draytek at WAN2 port should have only dhcp client running and receive internet directly from LTE1 interface at SXTR.

Means, your sxtr should give own IP from lte1 to your draytek2.
If your ISP give you a Public IP then this IP will be directly assigned at your Draytek@wan2 port just like the same Draytek have that sim card inside him.

The management is necceserry for as as way to connect again to that sxtr and do stuff with it. I prefer the vlan way but you can use this 2 interface of sxtr at start !
Hmmm maybe I have bridge set up by mistake then. I didn't change a lot of settings to start with from memory but maybe I did more than I thought.
I do have both cables from the device available to me.

So what connection should I have on the Draytek, maybe I am just missing something really simple here
My options are:
PPPoE
Static or Dynamic IP (this is what I am currently using with 192.168.88.1 in it)
PPTP
IPv6

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:45 pm

... or Dynamic IP (this is what I am currently using with 192.168.88.1 in it)
Dynamic is OK.
But you should in default configuration see at Draytek some IP like 192.168.89.2-254 and 192.168.88.1 as your GATEWAY.

When your Draytek receiving IP like 192.168.88.254 then your MikroTik still have 192.168.88.1 on it and you can connect to it from current Draytek LAN network.

That way all is OK on Draytek site

--------------------------

From MikroTik way.
You can connect via WinBox via MAC ADDRESS to MikroTik, directly, without Draytek.
That way you can go to Bridge > Ports and remove the ether2 from bridge1 - from now the ether2 will be "free".
WinBox > Interface > LTE > APN > you can use ether2 as passthrough interface, he will be dedicated to that function.
Reconnect cable from PC/Laptop to Draytek wan2 and reboot mikrotik - he reconnect to lte and give ISP IP to Draytek.

This is all in a easy way thanks sxtr have 2 ports and we not must speak about VLANs etc. and you still can connect via ether1 who power up the sxtr.
PS. Yes, you can do that in oposite way and use ether1 as passthrugh and ether2 as management.

adamdavi3s
just joined

Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:09 pm

Ok I am getting somewhere now thank you, I think I was missing the correct IP settings on the Draytek.

My laptop now will work, but no other devices will connect through the Mikrotik, is this a MAC address issue that someone else mentioned, that they have to manually set the MAC address of the WAN2 port on the Mikrotik somewhere

adamdavi3s
just joined

Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:21 pm

Ok seems like I have looped back around to a DNS issue.
My MAC is having some correctly assigned, but the iPhones are getting ones which do not work. If I manually add 8.8.8.8 for example, then they behave.

Cracked it by setting the DNS on the Draytek to googles, I think it was mixing up my 4G and DSL ones on failover.

I think the biggest issue was maybe doing things in the wrong order (somehow) on the Mikrotik but its all sorted now at least!

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:51 am

easy to test MikroTik... just connect any laptop or PC/MAC to that ETHERNET port from SXTR and your PC should get IP from your ISP.
This should be easy test.

cascom

Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:41 pm

I am trying to accomplish this same task with my SXT LTE6 as well.
The goal is to just use the SXT LTE6 as a MODEM and pass the IP strait to my hardwired laptop.
Is there a streamlined step by step config for this or an example?
I'm afraid of removing items from bridge and losing communication with the device during the process.

adamdavi3s
just joined

Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:48 pm

I got mine to work but I can’t even remember the steps I took now! I know it was particular about the order things were done in. At the end of the day it’s easy to factory reset if you do remove something wrong. Just backup the config before you start

texwiller
just joined

Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:10 pm

I am trying to accomplish this same task with my SXT LTE6 as well.
The goal is to just use the SXT LTE6 as a MODEM and pass the IP strait to my hardwired laptop.
Is there a streamlined step by step config for this or an example?
I'm afraid of removing items from bridge and losing communication with the device during the process.
Dear all,
also I'm too trying to make SXT work as 'simple' modem connected to the WAN port of my already configured Ubiquiti router.
I'm not able to figure out how to configure it!
Please, somebody can help me?
I installed the SXT on the roof of my house and I've only one cable coming inside, I cannot loose the possibility to reach the SXT via IP or Winbox for maintenance and configuration purpose.
Thanks!

adamdavi3s
just joined

Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:49 am

I would run a second cable to be honest, it will save a huge headache in the long run.

texwiller
just joined

Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:24 am

I would run a second cable to be honest, it will save a huge headache in the long run.
Thanks!
Alternatively, what do you think about the following solution?
1. SXT to work as modem and first router at 192.168.0.1 - DHCP and NAT disabled.
2. Ubiquiti router (already installed and configured with some local net: 192.168.1.x for home device, 192.168.2.x for IoT, ...) wired in cascade to the SXT using a LAN port (not WAN). DHCP server and NAT enabled on Ubiquiti router.
So it should be a LAN - LAN connection instead of WAN connection.
Can it work?
How should I configure the two lan connection to share internet connection between all the LANS?
Should I bridge them?

hanski
just joined

Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:19 am

Thank you so much for sharing!
I had read the official guide and many other explanations and finally this worked. I did everything to the letter from wiki. mikrotik and got silly slave errors. I was ready to throw the Mikrotik against the wall (ie sell it) but you save me.
Ok,

Eventually I was able to make it work from Winbox as passthough. There may be better solutions, but this one worked from me: the trick is to bridge the LTE connection to one of the ethernet ports, AFTER removing that same ethernet port from the Bridge connection the unit comes with as default.
From Winbox:
- Go to Bridge -> Ports -> disable ethernet 2; by doing this, ethernet 2 is no longer 'slave' of the default bridge
- Go to Interfaces -> LTE -> Press 'LTE APNs' button -> double click on the default entry with your APN name -> In the bottom pull down list 'Passthrough Interface': select ethernet 2
- From the QuickSet menu: disable 'DHCP Server' and NAT (Leave Firewall Router on); double check the IP address of your choice

With the above settings, after reboot, it will behave as a passthough LTE modem on ethernet 2. I was able to connect it to a single PC which gets the public LTE ip. I can also plug ethernet 2 to one of the WAN ports of my dual router LRT224, and it works just fine.
As noted somewhere else, the PC connected to ethernet 2 can no longer manage the LTE6, not via winbox not via web page. I enabled RoMON but it does not help, perhaps I am not doing it right. However, I always have ethernet 1 to manage the unit, as a matter of fact I am now living with ethernet 2 connected to the WAN port of the dual router for navigation, and ethernet 1 to one of the switch ports just for management.

SGtv
just joined

Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:10 pm

Unfortunately not an option with the LHGG LTE6 which has only one Ethernet port.

It seems up front that this device would be perfect as an LTE bridge but this doesn’t appear to be the case. Either a radio interface, a second Ethernet port or if it is easily possible a decent tutorial on how to do this when attaching to any consumer router (those that can’t handle vlans) and not just by using the CLI interface or assuming a lot of upfront knowledge, ie a step by step guide for non-networking geeks.

I did a fair amount of searching for a solution before buying the LHGG and their are few reasonably priced alternatives that put the brains at the antenna (not having to run antenna cable), seems that MIkrotik are missing a trick at not having some kind of simple configuration to create a simple bridge which allows for easy maintenance to cater for a switch of SIM provider.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:29 pm

SGtv
Unfortunately not an option with the LHGG LTE6 which has only one Ethernet port.
Even with 1 Eth port still it's not a big problem.
You can use passthrough at ether1 to send ISP IP to your router.
Use additional IP at ether1 (static IP, without any dhcp-server/client) to manage it or just vlan id:2 to management. You have always few options.

0weavern
just joined

Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:30 pm

SO massive thanks for this thread - it's helped me setup a MikoTik RBwAPGR-5HacD2HnD&R11e-LTE6 successfully to my DrayTek WAN2. I can now use the MikoTik via load balancing.

The only think I cannot get working is gaining internet access via the WIFI on the MikroTik. I can connect to it fine fine, and this is currently how I can access the Winbox config, but I can't get it to assigned a IP address from the DrayTek nor connect directly to the internet via the LTE. If anyone can help on what config I should be setting up for this, it would be a great help!

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 24, 2021 6:37 pm

In passthrough mode, to reach from internet the Mikrotik you must do a DNAT/PortForward at your Main Router to that LTE device.

Mikrofan7
just joined

Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:41 am

Hi,

I'm still successful using the above mentioned solution: search.php?author_id=166844&sr=posts

Now I have tried to update the modem firmware (actual installed version is V20) - but when I'm connected over the "maintenance" cable I can access the SXT, but I can not perform a update. I read for the R11e-LTE6, there is a update possible from file, where can I find the download?
Thanks!

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:29 pm

Mikrofan7 write
Now I have tried to update the modem firmware (actual installed version is V20) - but when I'm connected over the "maintenance" cable I can access the SXT, but I can not perform a update. I read for the R11e-LTE6, there is a update possible from file, where can I find the download?
Two ways.
  • Ask support@mikrotik.com, they share you file like v027.img and you can uploud it by winbox to SXTR. Next use /interface lte firmware-upgrade [find] upgrade=yes firmware-file=v027.img
  • Temporary disable passthrough from APN, or use second APN Profile without passthrough and your SXTR will have internet on-self for doing standard upgrade.

nicobar
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:36 pm

Hi all
I am the original author of the post where I described my solution to configure my SXT LTE6 in bridge mode.
Everything still works the same, but I recently realized a glitch with my configuration: DNS cannot be resolved. It see that microtik does not "see" the internet itself, it just passes I through the LRT224. I tried to stick a DNS server in various places to no success. What is it missing so that the microtik can resolve the DNS, and perform over the air updates such as the LTE modem firmware, routerOS and update the NTP ? Also the NTP is not working because of "DNS cannot be resolved"

Thank you all

aesmith
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:36 pm

I think you will have to switch it out of passthrough mode while you carry out these tasks. As I see it the passthrough means the Internet passes clean through the SXT and isn't visible or accessible, and traffic passing through doesn't pay any attention to the SXT's routing table or firewall or NAT. Maybe someone can confirm that's correct.

A possible alternative would be if you can route your management address so that it can reach the Internet by routing to your main router, which in turn routes it back through the SXT on the passthrough interface. Let's say your management address on the SXT is 192.168.10.20, and your main router is 192.168.10.1, then on the SXT you'd need a route to 0.0.0.0/0 with gateway 192.168.10.1

nicobar
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:45 am

@SiB, how do I do that?
"In passthrough mode, to reach from internet the Mikrotik you must do a DNAT/PortForward at your Main Router to that LTE device."

?

nicobar
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:46 am

@aesmith,

Your second paragraph is intriguing. The management address of the SXT is 192.168.0.3, connected to the LAN switch via ethernet1. Ethernet2 is the passthrough that goes to one of the WAN ports of the dual router.
The IP gateway of the dual router is 192.168.1.1

In winbox I go to IP -> Routes -> Press the + sign
Dst. Address: 0.0.0.0/0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

...and I get invalid, entry in red. What am I doing wrong?

nicobar
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:42 am

Ok, I think I managed doing it!

I mentioned that I have ether1 connected to a switch of my lan (IP 192.168.1.x). This is for PoE reasons.
ether2 is bridge with LTE, and has IP 192.168.0.3. This goes to the WAN of my router

What was missing was the IP of ether1 ! So I went to IP -> Addresses, where I had two entries:
- the public IP from the LTE with interface: ether2
- the local IP 192.168.0.3 with interface: bridge

- I added local IP 192.168.1.3 with interface: ether1

then I went to IP -> Routes, where I saw three entries:
Dest Address the public LTE IP, gateway ether2
dest address 192.168.0.0/24, gateway bridge
dest address 192.168.1.0/24, gateway bridge
(all marked as DAC)
I then added a fourth:
Dest Address 0.0.0.0/24, gateway 192.168.1.1
(this came out marked as AS)

E VOILA! NTP works, OTA updates work.

jimint
just joined

Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:40 pm

SGtv
Even with 1 Eth port still it's not a big problem.
You can use passthrough at ether1 to send ISP IP to your router.
Use additional IP at ether1 (static IP, without any dhcp-server/client) to manage it or just vlan id:2 to management. You have always few options.
I used my ChateueLTE with passthrought to my main router RB4011 with ether1.
I used RoMon to access Chateue from my winbox throught RB4001.

I try the way with vlans used for management access only with no success. Something missing.
So I create a VLAN interface on both devices on the ether1.
Then i add new address on both devices interface vlan.
How can now access from winbox for my ChateueLTE?