Community discussions

MikroTik App

marypoppins
Topic Author

Proxy connect in log

Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:56 am

Dear All,

I would like to ask what does the CONNECT mean in the context of proxy log? Is it mean the client successfully start tsl with the requested server or it just mean that the client qould like to connect via tsl and it is not inform me whether it os successful or not?
Thank you

mutluit
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Proxy connect in log

Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:01 pm

Which device, which firmware & version, and what do you mean by "proxy log" and "proxy connect"?
Just post a sanitized excerpt from the log for analysis.

marypoppins
Topic Author

Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:58 pm

Thank you for reply!

It is mikrotik ccr1036 (however I think the version is irrelevant). I use its "/ip proxy" feature and turned on the web-proxy,debug in the /system logging. After i see that this message appears in the log related to that clients connect to an https site. So my question what exactly the CONNECT in the log means in mikrotik context?

web-proxy,debug CONNECT site.com:443/ HTTP/1.1
web-proxy,debug User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:63.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/63.0
web-proxy,debug Host: site.com:443

In the squid-cache.org I found that:
"The CONNECT method is a way to tunnel any kind of connection through an HTTP proxy. By default, the proxy establishes a TCP connection to the specified server, responds with an HTTP 200 (Connection Established) response, and then shovels packets back and forth between the client and the server, without understanding or interpreting the tunneled traffic."

In mikrotik there isn't appear any HTTP 200 response in the log, however the webpage is working fine.
BUT: my question is what the CONNECT means exactly? It means the client only successfully connect to the proxy in order to get the requested page? Or it is involved that the proxy successfully connect to the requested site and sent the request back to the client?

Thank you

mutluit
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:12 pm

I don't know the official answer, but I guess it just means the proxy has got the request (ie. the job, order, task) to connect to the specified remote site.
You could do a small experiment by first connecting to an existing page of a site, and then attempting to connect to a non-existing page of the site, and then compare the log entries...

marypoppins
Topic Author

Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:18 am

Thank you for answer