Community discussions

MikroTik App

8wireless
just joined
Topic Author

Getting Started - RouterOS / RADIUS

Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:43 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to setup a small trial WISP in a rural community, I've ordered 5 x RB133/C to use as CPE and 3 x RB133 to use as AP's and all the accessories to boot from MT.

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction, so I can go out and research / implement a solution.

My main concern is that my ISP connection is going to be via satellite and hence every MB is chargeable, thus my first priority is to get a system in place that can limit user data transfer (upload/download) by MB per user per month.

To do this I assume I’m going to need to setup a two central x86 servers, one running MT RouterOS and one running RADIUS.

So my first question is which RADIUS server should I use, (FreeRADIUS?), and what OS should I install it on (CentOS, Free BSD, Debian ?).

I'm trying to go for a standard configuration so that it's easier to get support, and I’m open to any suggestions you can throw at me.

Regards

Liam. :?

8wireless
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Getting Started - RouterOS / RADIUS

Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:43 am

I seem to have answered one of my questions, there's a good guide at http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/RouterOs_MySql_Freeradius, I'm going to try using Ubuntu 6.06 server and freeradius.