Community discussions

MikroTik App

simmaz
just joined
Topic Author

hAP ac2 and hEX S configuration/setup problems

Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:27 pm

Hello,
I bought a RB760iGS hEX S as well as two hAP ac2.
Currently I'm attempting the following setup:
current.JPG
However I'm having problems getting these devices to work together. I've attempted multiple different modes for the access points however I'm either having
  • a) no internet on either of the ac2, even though they seem to be recognized as being connected to the network;
  • b) internet connection for approximately 5 minutes and then it disappears again;
I've attempted to do resets on all of the devices. I can get to option b) if I reset the access point then connect it to the router and then set it to WISP AP mode. Also I need both 2ghz and 5ghz modes, because I have 2ghz devices in my home. The goal is to have both 1st floor and 2nd floor wifi networks to have the same SSIDs (separate for 2ghz and 5ghz though) so that I wouldn't need to switch between networks when I'm moving around the house.

I assume it's some kind of a problem with the router, because I also tried to connect an older router that I currently use to it and it also wouldn't have any internet. Also when I connect a computer directly to the router via ethernet, internet works for the computer. I realize that there must be something I'm missing, but I'm very new to RouterOS and am feeling lost.

Please help.

Also in the future I want to connect a third access point which would not be wired (is mesh a good solution for that). Below is a diagram of what I am planning to expand upon and would like some advice if it's possible with these devices that I have.
future.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

simmaz
just joined
Topic Author

Re: hAP ac2 and hEX S configuration/setup problems

Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:08 pm

Alright, so I managed to get the setup working by using the configuration guide here: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:S ... sMAN_setup
Seemingly it kinda works, however I see that for some reason the network is very unstable. Any devices I have connected at some intervals stop having internet connections even though the wifi wlan network keeps working. I tried to check the configuration on my router but I noticed I keep getting disconnected from the default gateway (192.168.88.1) and I get "Error: internal server error" like so:
Screenshot 2020-07-19 at 17.07.03.png
Any help to figure out what could be the root of this instability would be appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

simmaz
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:38 pm

Still can't find a way to fix this problem. I think the router may be faulty.

Shy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:41 pm

Hi
I think tou might have some overlapping configuration.
If the hAP ac^2 is connected to the ether1 with PoE init means that it has to be inside a bridge. If both network devices that had 192.168.88.0/0 and the second has the same IPs it will break the connection.

Please give a better diagram with Nics connected soecified and export the configuration of each device with a code.
I have the exact setup and i have used bridge interface in ether1 configured the interface to have an ip for management purposes. The in the webfig removed nat and dhcp services on the lan of hAP ac^2.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:25 pm

Sounds like a very basic configuration where you might want to consider using a single SSID for both bands (by tweaking transmission power all 5GHz capable devices will choose 5 GHz over 2.4GHz). And update the software on all devices.

For the hAP ac2's:

Reset the device without default configuration and start from there.

Required
  • create a bridge
  • add all interfaces (LAN and WLAN) to the bridge (here your device will be unavailable for a short period)
  • configure WLAN settings
Optional
  • Add DHCP client to bridge
Afterwards you should have stable devices.
Perhaps share the config if running into (new) problems: /export hide-sensitive file=export

simmaz
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:55 pm

Ok, I exported the configuration from all of the devices.

The hEX s router configuration: https://pastebin.com/xewmgnFE
The 1st hAP ac2 configuration: https://pastebin.com/AgtcT8wn
The 2nd hAP ac2 configuration: https://pastebin.com/seCemS3g

I actually did I reset of the router and attempted to configure it as a CAPsMAN again. However I'm not seeing any WIFI networks and my device that was connected directly to one of the hAPs didn't have internet. But then I connected my old wifi router (tp-link) directly to the hEX s router and it actually has an internet connection, to my surprise.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:39 am

It looks like you currently have the hAP ac2's configured as router and running CAPsMAN. That is not how it should be configured.
So, if you want to accomplish with CAPsMAN (which is a perfect choice):

Reset both hAP ac2's and set it as CAPS Mode (choose either one of the two options below):

With the use of the reset button
  • Turn of the power.
  • Hold down reset and turn on power (reboots with backup boot loader) ...
  • Release reset after — 10 sec: Enable CAPs mode
From Winbox
  • System, Reset Configuration
  • Check CAPS Mode
  • Press Reset Configuration
After resetting, you are completely finished on the hAP ac2's.
Then you start the configuration on the hEX S (which will run the CAPsMAN and manage the CAPS's).

Pea
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:59 am

For the wireless link you can look for mesh setup example here:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=144649#p711777

Or search for station-bridge, this should work similar.

simmaz
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:54 am

It looks like you currently have the hAP ac2's configured as router and running CAPsMAN. That is not how it should be configured.
So, if you want to accomplish with CAPsMAN (which is a perfect choice):

Reset both hAP ac2's and set it as CAPS Mode (choose either one of the two options below):

With the use of the reset button
  • Turn of the power.
  • Hold down reset and turn on power (reboots with backup boot loader) ...
  • Release reset after — 10 sec: Enable CAPs mode
From Winbox
  • System, Reset Configuration
  • Check CAPS Mode
  • Press Reset Configuration
After resetting, you are completely finished on the hAP ac2's.
Then you start the configuration on the hEX S (which will run the CAPsMAN and manage the CAPS's).
Sadly this still didn't work. I don't really understand what the problem might be because once I connected my old routers (TP-Link for around 15 bucks) they managed to work without problems and NO additional configuration when connected to the hEX router (while running CAPsMAN at the time as well), but can't for the life of me figure out why the routers that cost 4 times as much are so difficult to configure to run properly. I can connect my desktop to the hAP via ethernet cable and the internet works fine, but wifi just doesn't work on any of the devices I try. And the same is for 2.4 and 5 ghz.

Smoerrebroed
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:13 am

Whether you realize it or not: Mikrotik devices are fairly complicated to configure - at least if you have never used them before. I'd definitely recommend starting small, just set up the hEX S and see if it works (if you can access the internet when connecting a PC to it via cable. Then add the next element (hAP ac2 without PoE) and make that work. Eventually, add the final piece and you're done!

If you have issues with disappearing wireless networks, that could be due to the fact that you're on DFS (in the 5 GHz range) in which case the Mikrotiks will behave quite special as compared to most other devices I know.