Community discussions

MikroTik App

stevefxp
just joined
Topic Author

Multiple Tagged VLANs on One Port

Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:04 pm

Hello all,

I am using a Mikrotik RB260GS for edge switching in my home. On port 1 is a Unifi AP. It needs to be untagged for vlan 1, but vlans 10-12 must be tagged. How do I configure port 1 to accomplish this. Its a bit confusing how they lay out the interface.

Thanks,
Steve

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Multiple Tagged VLANs on One Port

Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:40 pm

I am in the exact same situation with my WiFi nodes, and I have two of them fed from a CSS106-5G-1S (proper name for the current RB260GS). Here are a couple screen captures:

Open Mesh #1 uses VLAN 201 as it's untagged management LAN, and Open Mesh #2 uses VLAN 101 as it's untagged management LAN.

All the other LANs are sent to the WiFi APs. On each AP, only a couple of the VLANs are used (each VLAN becomes a separate SSID), but I send all the VLANs to the AP and let the AP use the ones that it needs (configured in the AP management). Some time after I took this screen capture, I changed that and only send the VLANs that will be used by that AP to each AP.

BTW, this post really should have been in the SwitchOS section of the forum since it dealt with Switch OS and not RouterOS - however this worked....

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:53 pm

My guess for the the port going to unifi (port1)

UNDER VLAN
vlan mode: enabled
vlan receive: any
default vlanID: 1
egress: leave as is

UNDER VLANS
for vlan ID1 - Leave as is for port 1
for all other vlan IDs (tagged) - Leave as is for port 1

stevefxp
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:32 pm

Thanks @anav and @k6ccc. I appreciate the responses.

What defines a tagged vs untagged port in the Mikrotik software. I think that is what is confusing me. With my Netgear switches I literally have a port GUI that I click on to tell me what is tagged vs untagged. Wish I had this with Mikrotik.

For example on port 5 of this switch is my uplink to my core switch. Right now I have vlan 1 set as untagged on the core switch side and I would think I would do the same on the Mikrotik side. Everything else I want tagged, so they are available on a port by port basis....make sense? Clear as mud?

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:07 pm

If you look my first screen capture, under Open Mesh #1, you will see that VLAN receive mode is set to "Any", and the default VLAN ID is set to "201". That means that port 1 will receive either VLAN tagged or untagged traffic, and that inbound untagged traffic will be assigned to VLAN 201.

On the second screen capture, under Open Mesh #1, look down to VLAN 201. You will see that it is set to "Always Strip". What that means is that the switch will remove the VLAN tagging on traffic leaving the switch. For the other VLANs it is set to "Leave as is". That means that the VLAN tags will be left intact on packets leaving the switch