Community discussions

MikroTik App

NTheZone
just joined
Topic Author

Active Host Name / Client ID

Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:11 am

Noob question. Fair warning. I am trying to understand what the "Active Host Name" and "Client ID" do, and if they can be renamed, when the IP address is made static. (The wiki entries are unhelpful, to me.) Sometimes I see blank entries, sometimes I see multiple entries (a computer that is both wired and wireless connect to the router), and sometimes it will not pick up a clients friendly name (e.g. Firestick TV or android phone) and place under either of these two categories. Client ID is supposed to follow a naming convention, but I'm afraid to change it (or the Active Host Name), if it will break NAT, etc.

What can, or can't I do?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Active Host Name / Client ID

Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:26 am

These are parameters that clients provided to server during the dhcp communication. The content depends on the settings of the clients.
If you change it, it won't match to the clients request. Try it and see...

NTheZone
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:51 am

These are parameters that clients provided to server during the dhcp communication. The content depends on the settings of the clients.
If you change it, it won't match to the clients request. Try it and see...
Client ID is assigned by the router. And the Active Host Name is not ping-able from a terminal even if populated by DHCP.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:56 am