Community discussions

MikroTik App

tim7979
just joined
Topic Author

Basic Questions and thoughts. Mentors

Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:41 pm

Hi all, so i'm new here and new to Mikrotik products, so far i'm loving the hardware but so much of it is way over my head but very slowly getting out what I need, online info is scarce when looking for certain scenarios.

I'm currently using either SXT 4G LTE Kits or the LHG 4G and now starting to also use the hAP AC lite's too.
They work really well for rural broadband.

There's a couple of things that I'm thinking and have had an attempt to see if i can get going.

The first is a VPN tunnel for remote management of the routers and access points. As they are using the LTE network as the only method of connection to the internet I'm coming up against CGNAT so no way of getting back to my sites to manage the network also a few sites have old style cctv that needed ports opening in the firewall but obviously with the CGNAT I would say the firewall is irrelevant in this case and currently no way of getting back.

I started to have a look at creating a VPN connection back to an established VPN server on one of my other sites thinking that If I created a Client L2TP permanent connection I could then setup port forwarding through that connection enabling me to get back to the devices on the LTE network. I have created a VPN Client connecting to the VPN Server network and although the Mikrotik says I'm connected I cannot browse or ping any devices on that network. I'm probably missing something simple but will continue to trawl through random youtube videos to see if something clicks it might not even be feasible. Which brings me onto my next point.

Also setting up LTE joined with hAP lites I have setup questions regarding Capsman which got me into thinking are there any Mikrotik mentors out there they do ad-hoc one to one support in the LTE 4G area of expertise?

Thanks.

davedar
just joined

Re: Basic Questions and thoughts. Mentors

Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:07 pm

Hi Tim,

I was just wondering if you resolved this problem as we have exactly the same set-up / dilemma which we are trying to resolve at the moment?

Thanks in advance,

Darren