Community discussions

MikroTik App

ccigas
just joined
Topic Author

RouterOS/SwitchOS Test Result Questions

Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:16 pm

Hello everyone, I was hoping to ask a question about the test results and how they actually are for real world application. I currently have a netgate router out a stick running pfsense, connected to CRS328-24P-4S+RM and then off that is CRS326-24G-2S+RM. I only have one device that is capable of 10Gbps but when I move I intend to add 10Gbps to my PC including build a second server all together, and a custom pfsense or opnsense router that is capable of 10Gbps.

My question is, when looking at the test results we see on the product page, we can see that the switching results is the only method of 10Gb, while bridging (which I am currently running) and routing is way less. So since I have vlans and one connection to my router, is setting the devices to SwitchOS the only method of getting 10Gb? I definitely dont need the RouterOS functions but was taught to use RouterOS over SwitchOS.

If I were to just bridge lets say two SFP+ ports together and nothing else, would that get me 10Gbps at all?

Thanks!

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Re: RouterOS/SwitchOS Test Result Questions

Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:21 pm

If you're going to keep the traffic at Layer 2, then you'll be able to achieve 10Gbps between hosts that are connected to the switches.

In RouterOS v7, L3 at wirespeed is possible since routing is offloaded into hardware.

https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... Offloading

ccigas
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:34 pm

If you're going to keep the traffic at Layer 2, then you'll be able to achieve 10Gbps between hosts that are connected to the switches.

In RouterOS v7, L3 at wirespeed is possible since routing is offloaded into hardware.

https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... Offloading
Ok cool so when I move that would be capable on Router OS but as of right now the only thing I use are VLANs so SwitchOS is more than enough. If i decide to use routing in the future at least itll be there for me.

I plan on getting two CRS328-24P-4S+RM for my move since Ill need more ports overall and PoE.

Thanks!

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:44 pm

SwitchOS is quite limited and doesn't have any encrypted management access, for example. I would be tempted to use RouterOS with a hardware-assisted VLAN-aware bridge from the outset to minimise any disruptions if you needed to change in future.

See https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:B ... s_switches and https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... _Filtering

ccigas
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:55 pm

SwitchOS is quite limited and doesn't have any encrypted management access, for example. I would be tempted to use RouterOS with a hardware-assisted VLAN-aware bridge from the outset to minimise any disruptions if you needed to change in future.

See https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:B ... s_switches and https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... _Filtering
This is what I do now, but since v6 doesnt have 10Gb on bridging or routing, thats why I asked and so I was going to be limited as far as I know.

I wouldnt mind using bridge mode again if v7 is out by then and stable. I just want to be able to have a solid 10Gb connection between my couple servers and my PC. I also plan to have a good amount of cameras in my new home so even though it wont max out 1Gb, i dont want to throttle anything else i run on that server.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:11 pm

SwOS can only do switching while ROS can do switching, bridging and routing. Routing is obviously a completely different thing, but difference berween bridging and switching is moot. If one considers only wired ethernet ports, then in Mikrotik world the difference boils down to single thing: bridging is done in software while switching is done in hardware. In the past it was pretty clear when one was bridging and when switching because configuration of those two entities was orthogonal. Since around v6.41 MT started to blend things and now bridge can offload more or less simple functions to hardware (switch chip) if there is suitable piece of hardware present (CCRs don't have it). So it's hard to tell whether device is bridging or switching (apart from very distinct performance).

However, devices that can run either SwOS or ROS (CRS line) can do in hardware under ROS whatever they can do under SwOS, one just have to be a bit careful not to botch configuration.

ccigas
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:16 pm

SwOS can only do switching while ROS can do switching, bridging and routing. Routing is obviously a completely different thing, but difference berween bridging and switching is moot. If one considers only wired ethernet ports, then in Mikrotik world the difference boils down to single thing: bridging is done in software while switching is done in hardware. In the past it was pretty clear when one was bridging and when switching because configuration of those two entities was orthogonal. Since around v6.41 MT started to blend things and now bridge can offload more or less simple functions to hardware (switch chip) if there is suitable piece of hardware present (CCRs don't have it). So it's hard to tell whether device is bridging or switching (apart from very distinct performance).

However, devices that can run either SwOS or ROS (CRS line) can do in hardware under ROS whatever they can do under SwOS, one just have to be a bit careful not to botch configuration.
Yeah I am running bridge mode right now and its all hardware offloaded. I just cant test 10G and never could since VLANs with a 1Gb router. But when I move, Ill be building a router with pf/opnsense 10G capable and itll be fine then.