Community discussions

MikroTik App

Vilx
just joined
Topic Author

Cannot understand my link speed. Is it 10Mbps or 100Mbps?

Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:11 pm

Lately I've been getting short (a few seconds) but annoying (since they drop my connections) internet outages. As I tried to investigate what could be the problem I noticed something odd.

The incoming ethernet cable is plugged into the ether5 interface (I had to use ether1 for PoE, so I changed the default config). In its "status" page it says:

Auto Negotiation: done
Rate: 10Mbps
Full Duplex: [unchecked]

However the actual internet speed, as tested by speedtest.net, is really close to 100Mbps (which is what I'm paying for). During the test, the "Traffic" page of the ether5 interface also shows the correct transfer rate of over 95MBps.

And this is confusing me. At what speed then is the link running? And what about the full duplex? Is that enabled or not?

krafg
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Cannot understand my link speed. Is it 10Mbps or 100Mbps?

Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:12 am

ROS version?
RouterBOARD model?
Cable length?
Cable brand?

Export config using hide-sensitive option and paste here.

Regards.
If you want to know my network, you can find it here.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Cannot understand my link speed. Is it 10Mbps or 100Mbps?

Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:16 pm

Auto Negotiation: done
Rate: 10Mbps
Full Duplex: [unchecked]

This is information about interface status at some certain moment. If there are glitches on the cable connection, then both ends will do renegotiation at every glitch ... and possibly in between (to upgrade settings if everything is fine). So I suggest you to verify the incoming ethernet cable and connectors (replace cable with a high quality one) ...
BR,
Metod