Community discussions

MikroTik App

adnanberki
just joined
Topic Author

Ilo4 Access over Internet trough Mikrotik Router Firewall

Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:27 am

Hi

need to access HP ML10 Server running Windows Server 2016 remotly over internet trough MikroTik Router Firewall

Ps. Have a Public IP

ILO4 works fine within the local network.

Please advise

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Ilo4 Access over Internet trough Mikrotik Router Firewall

Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:37 pm

iLO works over http/https, so you need to forward appropriate ports.
Beware that there might be some parts inside iLO which might omit returning the port part of URL when constructing a follow URL so if you're going to forward non-standard port (e.g. port 12345 on WAN side to port 443 on iLO IP address), you might have some issues.
BR,
Metod

tippenring
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:24 pm

I'd suggest making a VPN connection to the router, then accessing the iLo that way. It will probably be more reliable and secure.

If you do not wish to use a VPN and instead prefer to expose the iLo to the internet, please configure appropriate firewall rules to only allow access from trusted source IPs. Also be aware that some of the traffic may not be encrypted. Your sessions could also be subject to a MITM attack pretty easily.

adnanberki
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:35 pm

I'd suggest making a VPN connection to the router, then accessing the iLo that way. It will probably be more reliable and secure.

If you do not wish to use a VPN and instead prefer to expose the iLo to the internet, please configure appropriate firewall rules to only allow access from trusted source IPs. Also be aware that some of the traffic may not be encrypted. Your sessions could also be subject to a MITM attack pretty easily.
Thank you
can you please walk me through VPN setup for iLO4 windows server 2016 and RB1100 Mikrotik Router

tippenring
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:24 pm

There are many decisions to make when implementing a VPN solution. Here's some documentation on VPN options and configurations: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Category:VPN

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:59 pm

I would say use wireguard but tis only in beta right now, its apparently very easy to configure and is reasonably fast.
Are you going to be connecting from a smartphone, a windows PC ????
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)
MTUNA Certified, by the Ascerbic Llama!