Community discussions

MikroTik App

darkingdoom
just joined
Topic Author

Redirect specific domains to specific interface

Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:34 pm

Hey,
I have been experimenting lately with firewalls, DNS, NAT and mangle to do the following but no success
I want all requests from: *example.com* to go via specific interface, let's say if I have WAN1, WAN2, then I want it to go through WAN2
I don't want to add generic filter on http but on specific domains, can someone help what is the correct way to do it ?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Redirect specific domains to specific interface

Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:56 pm

If you have more than one WAN address, then this should be done by configuring DNS records for your domain to use different WAN IP addresses for different (for internet users virtual) hosts. Router, as device accepting connections initiated by internet clients, can not do anything to redirect them, it can only either accept (and forward) them or block them.

E.g.:
www.example.com.    IN A 12.34.56.78
www2.example.com.   IN A 23.34.45.56
mail.example.com.   IN A 12.34.56.78
vpn.example.com.    IN A 23.34.45.56

darkingdoom
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:13 pm

If you have more than one WAN address, then this should be done by configuring DNS records for your domain to use different WAN IP addresses for different (for internet users virtual) hosts. Router, as device accepting connections initiated by internet clients, can not do anything to redirect them, it can only either accept (and forward) them or block them.

E.g.:
www.example.com.    IN A 12.34.56.78
www2.example.com.   IN A 23.34.45.56
mail.example.com.   IN A 12.34.56.78
vpn.example.com.    IN A 23.34.45.56
Hey,
Thanks for the guidance
If possible, can you give me a command line commands based on the example rules you gave

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:13 pm

I'd say the request was for outgoing connections to internet. It's possible if it's exact hostname (www.example.net). You can add it in IP firewall's address list and router will resolve it to IP address and also refresh it when TTL expires. You can then mark routing for packets with destination contained in the list. But if you need it for <anything>.example.net, where <anything> can be, well, anything, that's between problematic and impossible.