Community discussions

MikroTik App

TikTikBoom
just joined
Topic Author

Using hAP lite as a dumb WISP device?

Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:19 pm

I am probably using the wrong terminology.

I have a couple of wired-only security devices I can't move in a room that I can't run a cable to. I've got a hAP lite (not AC). I want the hAP lite to connect to the existing wifi, not repeat it or create it's own wifi network, plug in both devices to the ethernet ports and have them on the the same network as if they were connecting directly to the router, no NAT/Firewall/DHCP.

I made a probably not very helpful diagram:
Untitled Document.jpg
I can get the hAP lite join the existing wifi and provide internet access to the devices by doing this: https://medium.com/dac-technology-blog/ ... 0ffb033ac5

But the purpose of the devices is for other devices on the network to access them, not for them to access the internet. I imagine I probably have to do something quite different but I'm not sure where to start.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Using hAP lite as a dumb WISP device?

Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:38 pm

If i'm understanding what you're trying to do, all you really need is to bridge the wireless interface on the hAP lite to the physical ports the security devices are plugged into.

That will extend the RFC1918 network in the home router through to those devices.

1. under 'bridge' add a new bridge using the name "LAN" (or whatever you want)
2. under 'bridge ports' add the wireless interface and physical ports of the security devices to the "LAN" bridge

TikTikBoom
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:15 pm

Thanks. I just gave that a go. I thought it worked at first. It's passing through DHCP from the regular router to devices on the LAN ports. But no other traffic. Can't connect/ping from those devices out to anything local or internet and can't connect/ping from anything else local in to them.

Here's a winbox screenshot if it helps. I've left the WAN port out so I can more easily get back into winbox using that port.
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:56 pm

If you're connecting to non-MikroTik AP, here's some suggested reading:

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:W ... tion_Modes

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:56 pm

Not a very good idea unless you are connecting on one freq 2.4Ghz and then re-tx on a different radio ie 5Ghz........ Otherwise your traffic throughput will suffer terribly.

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Using hAP lite as a dumb WISP device?  [SOLVED]

Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:12 pm

Depending on the type of wireless device you're connecting to, you need to verify the station type under your wireless interface settings.

station-bridge is ideal if the other router is a MikroTik. Otherwise you can try station-pseudobridge, but you'll have some limits outside of IPv4 traffic.

If it's set just to 'station' , bridging won't work.

TikTikBoom
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:14 am

@anav - not a problem as it's not to extend/repeat the wireless, only provide wifi to two wired only devices.

@IPANetEngineer - that did it! You dead set legend! That was the only other required change. I think basic IPv4 is all I need for these things so that shouldn't be an issue.

TikTikBoom
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:07 am

In case anyone wants to replicate it, here's the step by step. You would likely have to change specifics if you're using something other than a hAP lite RB941-2nD 6.45.8 using Winbox 3.27.

Reset configuration before starting (Winbox --> System --> Reset Configuration).

1. Connect to the hAP lite via Winbox.
2. Open Wireless.
3. Go to the Security Profiles tab.
4. Double click "default".
5. Change Mode to dynamic keys.
6. Tick WPA PSK and WPA2 PSK.
7. Enter the password of the wifi you want the hAP lite to join into both WPA and WPA2 Pre-Shared Key boxes.
8. Click Apply then OK.
9. Go to the WiFi Interfaces tab.
10. Double click wlan1.
11. Click the Scan button in the right hand column.
12. Click Start.
13. Select the wifi network you want to join and click Connect.
14. Change Mode from station to station-pseudobridge.
15. Click Apply then OK.
16. Open New Terminal.
17. Enter:
/interface list member remove numbers=1
18. Enter:
/interface list member
add comment=defconf interface=wlan1 list=WAN
19. Enter:
/interface bridge port remove numbers=4
20. Enter:
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=ether1
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=wlan1
21. Close the Terminal window.
22. Open Bridge.
23. Add a new bridge, call it Whatever.
24. Go to the Ports tab.
25. Double click wlan1.
26. Cange Bridge to Whatever (the name of the new bridge).
27. Click Apply then OK.
28. Repeat steps 25-28 for each port you want bridged (do the port you're connected to last to avoid disconnect).

I left ether1 outside the bridge to make future admin easier. I think steps 19 & 20 probably aren't needed, I copied those from the article in OP but I haven't tested without doing them so I'll leave them there for now.