Community discussions

MikroTik App

quizzelbuck
just joined
Topic Author

Unknown setting is preventing a DNS change

Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:58 pm

Without trying to get too verbal here, my router has some mystery setting preventing me from changing the DNS without breaking the internet.

I think a friend tried reducing packet overhead or some thing, or maybe it was from a long time ago when some one tried linking our two home networks to virtual LAN with out software, What ever it was is breaking things.

Complicating matters, if i default it, i don't think i can make the VPN behave like i have it again. I don't know how i did it originally and i like having its ability to toggle 1 IP on and off the VPN from the Firewall address lists tab. All the other VPN setups are really "all on/ All off" or for large ranges of IPs you're on all the time. This VPN setup just applies the VPN like a toggle to a single IP.

Would some one be willing to look at a config file (https://justpaste.it/3pfad) and see what it was i did that is causing DNS changes to break my internet?

I have a The cable media gateway and the mikrotik should be bridged and passing data through unmolested, though i may have had to resort to DMZing the Mikrotik. Every thing else on the network simply connects in to a non-special 192.168.88.2-254 IP block. Might start at 10. Some MACs have IPs reserved. Nothing fancy. Or, rather nothing SHOULD be fancy.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Unknown setting is preventing a DNS change

Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:38 am

Weird, why I am seeing slave local and stuff, thought that was old configs but maybe still in vogue with switch chip configuration ???

In any case most of it was beyond me but I did pick this up

/ip address
add address=192.168.88.1/24 comment="default configuration" interface=wlan1 \
network=192.168.88.0

Should be
/ip address
add address=192.168.88.1/24 comment="default configuration" interface=bridge-local \
network=192.168.88.0

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Unknown setting is preventing a DNS change  [SOLVED]

Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:53 am

c'mon Anav, you can do better :P
CTRL+F -> type "53" and thats it... Picked it up in less than 10 seconds:
add action=redirect chain=dstnat dst-address-type=!local dst-port=53 protocol=\
    udp to-addresses=0.0.0.0 to-ports=53
DNS traffic not going to the router will be redirected to 0.0.0.0 which is non-existent address.

@quizzelbuck Disable/remove this rule and you will be fine in terms of DNS. However, I don't know why you got this rule in the first place, so it is possible it will affect some other part of your network (maybe some device intentionally blocked from accessing any public DNS?)

ps: the "slave" is just in names and thats perfectly fine. Conversion from old configs won't change names.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:02 am

Hey little pony, I have missed everything today, nothing but wrong or bad advice............why break my record. :-(
Truth be told, once I started seeing slave-local, my eyes glazed over.
Next time I will ask the OP to bold his errors so I can spot them amongst all the noise. ;-)

quizzelbuck
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:49 am

@vecernik87 I'm looking to toggle it or remove through gui, if possible. I deleted the entry i think corresponds to the line you posted, and through a DNS pointed at a pihole, and through of all browser, iexplore.exe, i am not seeing adverts on speedtest.net

So, i think you did it! Thanks! Oh sure, i'm a little worried killing that will dork up... some thing. But that's tomorrows problem.

If Since you looked it over, maybe you also have an opinion on what is going on with the VPN settings.

I can't recreate them in router OS any more. I think some thing in the OS changed. I mean, the server in a PPTP client in ppp>interferce, i can't even modify it with out breaking some thing.

Did some thing happen in routerOS that would break this method that you know of?