Community discussions

MikroTik App

oly
just joined
Topic Author

lte1 not selectable for dhcp-client

Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:38 pm

Hello everybody,

I have myself a MikroTik "LtAP LTE Kit" running RouterOS v6.47.6.
I managed to connct to LTE (by entering the SIM PIN and the respective data to the APN setting) but i can't for the life of me connect to anywhere via LTE.

I also wondered why I cannot select the "lte1" interface in the dhcp-client, it only gives me ether1 and wlan1 as options. If i try to add the interface manually, i get
> ip dhcp-client add interface=lte1 
input does not match any value of interface
I do get an IP address and I also get a default route with the below settings, but traceroute stops after the first hop:
[admin@MikroTik] > tool traceroute address=8.8.8.8 count=1 
 # ADDRESS                          LOSS SENT    LAST     AVG    BEST   WORST STD-DEV STATUS                                                        
 1                                  100%    1 timeout                                                                                               
 2 139.7.228.140                      0%    1  49.8ms    49.8    49.8    49.8       0 network unreachable from 139.7.228.140                        
 3                                    0%    0     0ms  
I should mention that the SIM is a Vodafone CDA type, so in theory I should be able to connect from the Internet to the router via LTE (which is what I ultimately want - the router should serve as a remote access device for an existing installation)

What i did so far (with sensitive information replaced by XXX):
interface lte set pin=XXXX lte1
interface lte apn set apn=m2m.cda5.vodafone.de authentication=chap user=XXXX password=XXXX numbers=0
what i get after a few seconds:
[admin@MikroTik] > interface print detail 
Flags: D - dynamic, X - disabled, R - running, S - slave 
 0  R  name="ether1" default-name="ether1" type="ether" mtu=1500 actual-mtu=1500 l2mtu=1596 max-l2mtu=2026 mac-address=74:4D:28:9C:60:4D link-downs=0 
 1  X  name="wlan1" default-name="wlan1" type="wlan" mtu=1500 actual-mtu=1500 l2mtu=1600 max-l2mtu=2290 mac-address=74:4D:28:9C:60:4E link-downs=0 
 2  R  name="lte1" type="lte" mtu=1480 actual-mtu=1480 mac-address=AC:FF:FF:00:00:00 last-link-up-time=jan/02/1970 00:02:23 link-downs=0 
[admin@MikroTik] > interface lte info 0 once 
           pin-status: ok
  registration-status: registered
        functionality: full
         manufacturer: "MikroTik"
                model: "R11e-LTE"
             revision: "MikroTik_CP_2.160.000_v013"
     current-operator: vodafone.de
                  lac: 48058
       current-cellid: XXX
               enb-id: 83178
            sector-id: 21
           phy-cellid: 252
    access-technology: Evolved 3G (LTE)
       session-uptime: 36s
                 imei: XXX
                 imsi: XXX
                 uicc: XXX
               earfcn: 101 (band 1, bandwidth 10Mhz)
                 rsrp: -102dBm
                 rsrq: -9dB
                 sinr: 12dB

The IP address of lte1 seems to be correct, at least it's the same one as in the vodafone customer portal:
[admin@MikroTik] > ip address print detail 
Flags: X - disabled, I - invalid, D - dynamic 
 0 D address=10.0.0.3/32 network=10.0.0.3 interface=lte1 actual-interface=lte1 
And i also have a default route, but as shown above, traceroute fails, so this may be the culprit?
[admin@MikroTik] > ip route print detail 
Flags: X - disabled, A - active, D - dynamic, C - connect, S - static, r - rip, b - bgp, o - ospf, m - mme, 
B - blackhole, U - unreachable, P - prohibit 
 0 ADS  dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 gateway=lte1 gateway-status=lte1 reachable distance=2 scope=30 target-scope=10 
 1 ADC  dst-address=10.0.0.3/32 pref-src=10.0.0.3 gateway=lte1 gateway-status=lte1 reachable distance=0 scope=10 
So from here I would like to assign a dhcp-client to lte1, but it win't let me and I honestly don't know why ...

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: lte1 not selectable for dhcp-client

Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:28 am

I also wondered why I cannot select the "lte1" interface in the dhcp-client, it only gives me ether1 and wlan1 as options. If i try to add the interface manually, i get
When in APN setting you disable receive IP / DNS from ISP then you should create own DHCP Client.
By Routing > Filters you can modify in fly the every new dynamic route...
This works, you receive IP and Route - this is not a problem here.

And i also have a default route, but as shown above, traceroute fails, so this may be the culprit?
Some ISP create limits, but you should try read Tools > SMS and maybe you in Inbox can read some SMS like "Not pay, we block but you still can connect to empty internet"

I do get an IP address and I also get a default route with the below settings, but traceroute stops after the first hop:
model: "R11e-LTE"
revision: "MikroTik_CP_2.160.000_v013"
YES, please upgrade a modem firmware !
This should be your solution for that module.

Latest: MikroTik_CP_2.160.000_v018
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Interface/LTE
Some person must do a dhcp-client at ethernet port and Receive internet from cable to can upgrade modem firmware, first try by internal lte connection.
MTCNA + MTCRE + MTCINE | ~600 users at ~150 RouterBoards in EMEA | Telegram: @SiB_PL
WinBox Tip: F6 works as ALT+TAB | Gliffy.com - free network schematic | prnt.sc - free ScreenShot software
At vacation until 15.jan.2021

oly
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:04 am

Hello SIB,

thank you very much for your support! :-)))
But I currently don't seem to understand how to upgrade the modem firmware via ethernet?

I don't have a problem hooking the ethernet up to my LAN and giving it an IP address via dhcp, so now a
/tool traceroute www.google.de
works just fine (over ethernet).

But the firmware upgrade only seems to work via LTE?
What I tried:
[admin@MikroTik] > /interface lte firmware-upgrade lte1 
failure: Device must be enabled and configured!
[admin@MikroTik] > interface lte set pin=XXXX lte1
[admin@MikroTik] > interface lte firmware-upgrade lte1  
  installed: MikroTik_CP_2.160.000_v013
     latest: MikroTik_CP_2.160.000_v018
[admin@MikroTik] > /interface lte firmware-upgrade lte1 upgrade=yes 
failure: Device must be in running state!
[admin@MikroTik] > interface lte apn set apn=m2m.cda5.vodafone.de authentication=chap user=XXX password=XXX numbers=0
[admin@MikroTik] > interface lte print
Flags: X - disabled, R - running 
 0  R name="lte1" mtu=1480 mac-address=AC:FF:FF:00:00:00 pin="8200" 
      apn-profiles=default network-mode=gsm,3g,lte 
[admin@MikroTik] > /interface lte firmware-upgrade lte1 upgrade=yes        
I couldn't find anything in this forum or via google, except a mention in viewtopic.php?t=154120 which says
The modem is switched to a specific mode where it downloads the firmware itself. RouterOS does not have network connection at that time!
so is an upgrade via ethernet possible at all?

Also, I can see there is an option "firmware-file=" for /interface lte firmware-upgrade, but where do i get the actual firmware upgrade? Google couldn't find anything :(

Thank you again in advance!

oly
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:15 am

BTW:
/tool sms inbox print

is empty

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:46 am

I do the trick like
* lte1 is connected, Running
* APN Settings not add a default gateway - means this lte1 is for itself and RouterOS not have internet from it.
* I provide internet from ethernet like that RBoard was a regular PC. Dhcp-client have a add default route and RouterOS have got a internet from ethernet
and then I try upgrade firmware - some ppl report me that works.

You can write to support@mikrotik.com or go to support portal at mikrotik.com/support and create a case. They can share you a firmware as files to upgrade via external usb wwan adapter for mPCIe lte modules.
MTCNA + MTCRE + MTCINE | ~600 users at ~150 RouterBoards in EMEA | Telegram: @SiB_PL
WinBox Tip: F6 works as ALT+TAB | Gliffy.com - free network schematic | prnt.sc - free ScreenShot software
At vacation until 15.jan.2021

nico456
just joined

Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:09 pm

Hi

I have the exact same problem, after upgrading the Modem firmware, still no way to select lte for DHCP client
Did you solve this ?
Thanks