Community discussions

MikroTik App

trx314
just joined
Topic Author

General VLAN trunking advice needed

Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:03 am

Hello Tik community,
I would be glad if you can give me hints.
Fairly simple home setup. I have HEX S (RB760iGS) as a router and a HAP ac2 (RBD52G-5HacD2HnD) as AP.
What I would like to accomplish is having 2 vlans, 1 COMMON trusted( all trusted computers and equipment) and a GUEST network.
I would like to set the following:
ISP network cable on WAN (Ether1) of HEX S. HEX S port 5 to HAP port1 trunk. Trunk port would include Trusted and Guest VLANs.
The main reason I would prefer VLAN over subnet is that I need to connect GUEST switch to my HAP AP and provide guest WiFi as well.

So the question is: provided that I need to trunk my COMMON network, shall I leave it on native VLAN1 or it is better idea to change it to VLAN5 (for example)? I have a feeling that my HEX S is having special attitude toward VLAN1 and creating some rules that are not visible. Any advice or examples are welcome.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: General VLAN trunking advice needed

Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:02 am

Correct dont use vlan1 its the default and best to leave it that way
Create two vlans the home or trusted vlan is what the AP will be set on by ip address.

Your best bet which will explain the setup on the router and hapac (wisp mode I think) can be found here
viewtopic.php?t=143620
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)
MTUNA Certified, by the Ascerbic Llama!

trx314
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:53 pm

Thanks for the reply Anav. Much appreciated. Already tried with pcunite examples ( grateful to him as well !!!) , but I hit the rock and not able to connect to HAP via the trunk.
According to "Switch with a separate router" example he is setting:
Regarding Router Config:
# -- Trunk Ports --
# ingress behavior
/interface bridge port
# Purple Trunk. Leave pvid set to default of 1
add bridge=BR1 interface=ether2
add bridge=BR1 interface=ether3

In my case shall I change it to VLAN 5 ?
What about bridge VLAN should I change to VLAN 5 ?

Similar config on switch example.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:27 pm

Without seeing your config, for both devices, its hard for me to cherry pick settings.
Suffice to say the router bridge and hapac bridge (the vlan part is left to default setting vlan1).
Assign all the working vlans a vlan number and setup dhcp for the vlans (dont use the bridge for dhcp) - all done on the hex.
The Hapac you just have to indentify vlans and bridge ports are the ether1 port incoming trunk
and the outgoing access ports (WLANS)/......
The hapac should get a vlan IP address on the vlan you want it to be on.
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)
MTUNA Certified, by the Ascerbic Llama!