Community discussions

MikroTik App

lazarmihail
just joined
Topic Author

RBwAPG-5HacT2HnD - WiFi repeater on both frequencies

Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:41 am

Hi there,

I am trying to extend a network that is broadcasted by a TP-Link router on both frequencies. The network subnet is 192.168.0.0 /24 and the SSID names are as an example Home-Network and Home-Network-5G

When I setup the Mikrotik WiFi router as a repeater I get to work only the 2.4 Ghz SSID, the 5 Ghz SSID fails to configure as a repeater.

Basically, I used the Setup Repeater button to do the configurations automatically and below are the screenshots of what I achieved so far.

What am I missing from the config?
Screenshot 2020-11-21 at 11.39.46.png
Screenshot 2020-11-21 at 11.39.20.png
Screenshot 2020-11-21 at 11.38.56.png
Screenshot 2020-11-21 at 11.38.46.png
Screenshot 2020-11-21 at 11.38.35.png
Screenshot 2020-11-21 at 11.38.23.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RBwAPG-5HacT2HnD - WiFi repeater on both frequencies

Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:41 pm

Let me ask the basic question: is the 2.4GHz network and the 5 GHz network a different/separated network, or is it 2 ways into the same network?
You bridge them all together , so it is normally intended to be one network with multiple entries.

The "normal" way of setting up a repeater is to have 1 "station-bridge" to the uplink AP, and to have "AP bridge"s as needed.
(Having 2 "station-bridge" connections will either create a loop, or bonding must be used, or one of the 2 will be blocked by the spanning tree protocol.)
The reason for this "normal way" is that the combination of "station-bridge" and "AP-bridge" on the same radio (the master interface) at least halves the wifi performance for that radio.
"At least halving the performance", because it can only or send or receive and it enlarges the interference RF cell for that radio.
For higher performance use one radio as "station bridge" and the other radio for the AP-bridges. That other radio is then set on a different non overlapping channel than the uplink AP second radio.

Nevertheless the "Repeater setup" button might not help you to have what you initially wanted, as it is probably not designed for this double link.
But you can add a virtual WLAN interface to WLAN2 and make it "AP bridge" yourselves.
I would advice not to do that. The double link will not work as explained before. And your setup already is one that will create a poor performing wifi environment.
(80 MHz channel width, XXXX and auto freq selection on 5 GHz, and 40 MHz bandwidth on 2.4 GHz.) But in this setup with 2 station bridges that information is not used at all, the uplink AP will define all channels and frequencies used, the repeater will just follow that setting.)