Community discussions

MikroTik App

MKxTi
just joined
Topic Author

Lockout after default bridge deletion?

Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:13 pm

Firstly I'd just like to say that I'm a complete beginner to Mikrotik xD

I'm trying to remove the default bridge on the hAP ac2 because each port will be used for a different VLAN (eventually I'd like to set up port isolation because of this) but I just keep getting locked out. I've tried changing the MAC address of the bridge and then removing all of the ports but no dice.

Before I delete the bridge, I notice that in the IP address list, the initial IP address the device has (192.168.88.1) is assigned to port 2 and not the bridge. Since I managed to remove other ports above port 2 and 3 (I'm connected via port 3) I thought I'd assign a different port an IP address (192.168.88.3) to try and connect that way outside of the bridge. I change the cable over to that port but get no connectivity. However upon switching the cable back to port 3 I can no longer connect (but I can ping).

I've no idea why it's doing this :S

I'd like to only use bridges when I need to setup a WAP to join to one of the VLANs. I intend to repurpose the WAN port to be a trunk port carrying out the VLANs on to my router.

Thanks in advance for any help!

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Lockout after default bridge deletion?

Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:54 pm

Many things can cause this. Configuration can be anything. Please share the config (" /export hide-sensitive file=yourfilename" and attach the *rsc file in your post)

Just to start: a default hAP ac2 has ether1 as WAN and other interfaces connected to the bridge. The bridge is in the "LAN interface list".
This LAN and WAN interface list is important in the default config settings. Access is only allowed to the members of the LAN interface list.
If you disconnect ether3 from the bridge, then don't forget to add ether3 to the LAN interface list. Idem dito for any other interface.

You could also edit the config to remove the blocking rules, but using the LAN interface list is the easiest way.

If you want VLAN's forwarded and filtered by the bridge/switch over multiple interfaces then the interfaces must be a port on the bridge. Setting ether1 as trunk is done in the bridge, just as the untagged interfaces are defined there.

See viewtopic.php?f=13&t=143620

MKxTi
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:11 am

Here's my latest config before I get locked out by deleting the default bridge or removing the ports from it. As far as I can tell from the file all interfaces are on LAN so should be allowing me access. When I switch the cable over to port 4 I can't reconnect. When I switch to port 2 (which has the IP address on according to the config) and login, WinBox gets stuck on "Downloading descriptors". I also can't connect via the web interface, but I can ping it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:31 am

You dont need to get rid of the bridge, in fact it supports your desired setup.
Different vlan on every port.............
Realistically you dont know enough to determine an optimal configuration.

aesmith
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:39 pm

If you just want a different subnet on each Ethernet interface, and only one interface on each subnet, then you don't need VLANs at all. For each interface, first remove it from the default bridge, add it to LAN list and apply your chosen IP address and mask. Once you'd done one you can disconnect and reconnect via the new subnet, from that point onwards your connection no longer depends on the default bridge or IP address.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:56 pm

concur aesmith, however in the long run if the OP every wants to run a port to a managed switch or smart access point, (more than one vlan going out a single port) then having the vlan structure in place makes it a dirt simple minor change.

MKxTi
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:16 pm

Thanks for the responses thus far.

Realistically you dont know enough to determine an optimal configuration.
We all start somewhere right? :)

I think my application firewall might have been interfering with my connection (despite that fact I thought I was allowing the connection). I switched to another device and was able to connect alright with WinBox. The web interface however still hangs on 'loading' on /webfig.

You dont need to get rid of the bridge, in fact it supports your desired setup.
I'm trying wherever possible to to keep as close to using the switch chip as opposed to the CPU, but I understand this might not be possible if I need to connect WLANs to the VLANs in my switch.