Community discussions

MikroTik App

rbuserdl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

PCQ queue is better than without any queue?

Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:15 pm

Hello people!!

As I understand from: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Queues_-_PCQ
I think that when there are many users connected, using the same ISP, which is saturating, the PCQ queue does more equitatable the use of the bandwith, does that anyone can use at least something the Internet connection, right?
However, if there is no any queue, it is possible that someone is ussing all the bandwith and when someone else try to use some, he cannot or have big delays,
So, I think it is better to have 1 PCQ queue for the full bandwith than without queues, right?
Just to be sure.
Is there any scenario where it is better does not have any queue?

Thanks
Regards
Damián

erkexzcx
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: PCQ queue is better than without any queue?

Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:08 pm

+1 interested in more information about it.

From my understanding, queues are great when there is constantly not enough bandwidth for everyone, so someone always has to wait for other users to finish transmitting data. Queues would help because everyone will get fair amount of time to transmit data, but from my own personal experience it just slows down your overall max speed. Just my thoughts.

Moba
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:08 pm

I am a bit confused by what you are asking...

PCQ is a queue type used for QoS to implement a form of fair queuing as you said. However, I am not sure about the rest...

Queuing occurs when a bandwidth threshold is reached regardless of the number of users. You cannot have a functional QoS strategy without this threshold. And without a queue, packets are dropped when you max-out your physical connection i.e. the allotted bandwidth provided by your ISP (your plan + any over-provisioning). The whole point of QoS is having a say on which packets are dropped first.

https://youtu.be/ZeCIbCzGY6k

rbuserdl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:27 pm

Hello,

I was just wondering if it will be better to implement an only queue (type PCQ) in all the routers where I have not any queue to be more fair with the bandwith distribution
Thanks for all your responses and for the video, although I should watch this later.

Regards,
Damián

Moba
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:45 pm

There isn't a better queue type for QoS: It all depends on what your QoS objectives are. A single SFQ queue can insure an adequate user experience by simply dividing the bandwidth among users evenly. PCQ goes further by allowing address based queuing, as explained in the Wiki. For more complex QoS scenarios, traffic type classification might be required for those queues as well (you can change the queue type when making queues for marked traffic).

The more complex your QoS strategy is, the more resources your router will use. It also impacts the performance accordingly. I use basic FIFO queues because I don't need anything else at home. There's a good thread in the forums about QoS.

plisken
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:28 pm

PCQ will distribute the bandwidth evenly among all users.
And indeed if no PCQ are configured it could be that one user will run with all bandwidth.
Here you see a configuration per subnet. In Dutch but I think this will help you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpRdX9p-u9c&t=358s