MikroTik App

dcavni
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

HAP Ac3 5 Ghz speed problem

Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:38 pm

Hi,

I bought Hap Ac3 to replace Ac2, that i plan to use when traveling.

I transferred all the settings that was on Ac2 5 ghz wifi to Ac3 5 ghz wifi but this thing simply don't work ok. I have 200 Mbit DL speed on 5 Ghz wifi of Ac2 (connection speed 866 Mbit). When i connect to Ac3 connection speed is usualy arround 86 Mbit even if i stand in front of it. Is this thing still work in progress or what is the reason for such bad behaviur?

One thing i noticed is, that Ac2 did not have distance written in settings but in Ac3, distance is always 1km, no matter what you do.

erkexzcx
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: HAP Ac3 5 Ghz speed problem

Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:43 pm

I transferred all the settings that was on Ac2 5 ghz wifi to Ac3 5 ghz wifi but this thing simply don't work ok

Just a question: How did you transfer those settings and what RouterOS version you are using? Did you transfer configuration by a backup or export?

I've had issues with backup&restore when I transferred such backup and restored on identical model, but different Mikrotik device. IPSEC did not work. After simple reset & executing exported config everything worked fine.

EDIT: Export your wireless configuration and show us your settings. We might advise you then.

dcavni
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:54 pm

I transfered configuration with backup since devices are not so different so that seemed like a good idea. What would be the correct way to transfer all configuration, because i have quite a few rules in firewall.

Version is latest on both devices. I can export wireless config after i come back in house. Everything else seems to work fine.

erkexzcx
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:07 pm

Version is latest on both devices.
There are RouterOS 7 beta, and RouterOS 6 stable... Anyway, I assume you are using ROS6.

What would be the correct way to transfer all configuration
This way:

# 1. Export configuration from old router:
/export file=myfile

# 2. Download myfile.rsc to your computer.

# 3. Upload this file to your new router.

# 4. Reset your router and execute this file right after it:
/system reset-configuration no-defaults=yes skip-backup=yes run-after-reset=myfile.rsc

You see what those commands do. You can do everything using Winbox without actually executing these commands.

dcavni
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:21 pm

Yes i see. So exporting configuration is not the same thing as backup? Ok, i will try this in about two hours when i get back inside. I must load backup to ac2 first because i changed some things before. Then export this configuration, reset ac3 to factory default and then import this configuration on it. I will let you know if it works. Thank you.

dcavni
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:58 pm

Ok. I tried the proposed option but no firewall rules was imported. So i did everything manualy. But i am still quite disappointed because AC2 with internal antennas gave me 200 Mbit without problem, but AC3 on the same location now gives me arround 130 Mbit. And this is with external antennas. When i get closer it gets to 200 Mbit/s (speed of my internet).

Moba
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:55 pm

I've never tested the ac3, but it doesn't use the same SoC as the ac2. I had disappointing speeds with my RB4011+ at first compared to some ac2's I had experience with. I had to start with a new default config and manually set each radio. After tweaks, the WiFi range and speeds are very good for a single device without mesh (which was tested on a pair of routers from another manufacturer) and better than the little ac2.

Things to check:

- mode and country is set properly (limited on US versions)
- removing B spectrum on 2G if unused
- lowering the channel width on 2G to 20MHz and testing options on 5G if required (bonded channels aren't always faster)
- set the channels manually (choices are limited by the channel width used and local regulations)
- lowering the gain
- survey the site with a few devices before and after each change

ic32k
just joined

Thu May 27, 2021 7:33 pm

Hello,

Get the AC3 to test and look if this is a good replacement for the AC2 that we are installing in or customers, and the dissapointment is extremely big.

As the people is saying in this thread the 5G wireless is so much worst than the AC2, installing the AC3 in the same spot the 5G network have less effective range than the AC2, with the prevoius version I could navigate at good speeds within 2 thinner walls (about 4 meters in straigh line), but with this one that have two times more gain and external antennas I cannot even see the network in the mobile

Hope this will be solved sooner than I reject this model for selling to our customers

Regards