Community discussions

MikroTik App

nixmd
just joined
Topic Author

LHG HP5 benefits over LHG 5

Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:10 pm

Hi folks
I'm into subscribing a new internet plan and I'm going for wireless.
Today the ISP operator came to my apartment and tested wireless connectivity using his SXT (idk exact model number) wireless antenna and he could reach 37Mb/s for download and 67Mb/s for upload (you should excuse me not providing further statics as I'm new in the MikroTik land).
I was told that there is no limits on speed so I can achieve what connection bandwidth provides to me.
They also suggest me to get LHG 5 antenna.
I also have to mention that the distance between my apartment and the pop site / access point (whatever its name is) is about 1km.
Now I have two questions.
1- Do I get better connection (speed/bandwidth) if I use LHG 5 over SXT?
2- Can LHG HP5 provide me even better (speed / bandwidth) over LHG 5?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: LHG HP5 benefits over LHG 5  [SOLVED]

Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:27 pm

In this case, size would only help if your distance would exceed what the SXT can do (due to it's smaller antenna). In my opinion, 1km is not a big distance and SXT will give you roughly the same speed as any larger devices. Their size basically just gives you more reach, but you are not far

nixmd
just joined
Topic Author

Re: LHG HP5 benefits over LHG 5

Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:17 pm

In this case, size would only help if your distance would exceed what the SXT can do (due to it's smaller antenna). In my opinion, 1km is not a big distance and SXT will give you roughly the same speed as any larger devices. Their size basically just gives you more reach, but you are not far
Thanks for reply.
I had to mention that I am not going to use SXT devices as they are slightly more expensive in the market here and ISP highly recommended me to use LHG 5 antenna.
The thing that was making me wonder was if I can achieve more bandwidth (for this particular case) if I use LHG HP5 antenna (which is in the same size but has higher gain) over a basic version of LHG 5.

jonah1810
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:04 am

You can achieve more signal, but only 1km on an LHG (HP or not) is way too powerful. you'll need to reduce tx-power on both sides or purposely mis-align the dish to not get too much signal. just make sure you stay out of the 30s. you'll likely run into issues with this much signal.

I didn't realize the SXT was more than the LHG, but i would recommend the Disc antenna rather than the LHG. it should be cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

nixmd
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:00 am

You can achieve more signal, but only 1km on an LHG (HP or not) is way too powerful. you'll need to reduce tx-power on both sides or purposely mis-align the dish to not get too much signal. just make sure you stay out of the 30s. you'll likely run into issues with this much signal.
Hi jonah and thanks for reply.
I didn't know about problems caused by too much signal (it always seems like much is better, but in this case as you say the less is more).
I'm sure that the other party won't reduce TX power as it is Point to MultiPoint, so maybe I should mis-align it. But what do you mean by staying out of 30s