Community discussions

MikroTik App

Talley
just joined
Topic Author

Exhausted many attempts to get LT2P/IPSec VPN setup to work with iOS 14 Iphone

Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:13 am

Hello,

I've gone through at least 20 different tutorials, the wiki, watched countless videos and I've managed to accomplish zilch. All I have is a basic home setup and want a VPN for my phone to connect to. Starting from a reset configuration, default firewall, reset password for the main login and this setup makes me happy for my general needs.

I've yet to find any kind of setup guide that works for my iphone 11 max pro w/ iOS 14 to my hEX RB750Gr3 router. What I've been doing is "quickset" enable vpn and setting password. using the xxxxxxxxxxx.sn.mynetname.net to use as the server address on my phone. Nothing. Went throug the PPP with the profiles, the secrets, the IPsec settings, making sure the L2TP server is active with the right settings. I get nothing.

My phone responds with "The L2TP-VPN Server did not respond. Try reconnecting. If the problem continues verify your settings or contact your administrator"

I've even setup a firewall to forward vpn incoming connections and made sure it was setup. So Here I am with a fresh reconfig, just reset the password and I'm reaching out for help for what exact steps should be taken. I've exhausted 2 days over this without success.

konstantinJFK

Re: Exhausted many attempts to get LT2P/IPSec VPN setup to work with iOS 14 Iphone

Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:00 pm

hi, the answer is late but for history

the reason is here https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211840
Starting with iOS 14 and macOS Big Sur, IPsec supports HMAC-SHA-256 with L2TP VPN.

To make sure that VPN client devices running iOS 14 and macOS Big Sur can connect to your L2TP VPN server, configure the server to truncate the output of the SHA-256 hash to 128 bits. Truncating to fewer than 128 bits will result in L2TP VPN failing to connect.
How to fix it? don`t know et