MikroTik App

moveik
just joined
Topic Author

Questions about "Use host names in firewall rules"

Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:22 pm

Link to the wiki:
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Use_host ... wall_rules
  1. It says "Note: Applies only for RouterOS versions up to version v6.36.".
    Why it isn't possible for versions greater than v6.36 ?
  2. There's a typo:
    /ip firewall filter add chain=ouput dst-address-list=host_mikrotik action=accept
    Instead of "chain=ouput", should be "chain=output".
  3. Consequently to the previous clause:
    The chain to which the firewall rule should be added is "forward", not "output".
    Do you agree?

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Questions about "Use host names in firewall rules"  [SOLVED]

Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:30 pm

In newer versions you can put hostname directly in address list and system will resolve it automatically (and refresh it when its ttl expires). So it's easier and script is not needed. But if for some reason you like script better, you can keep using it.

The right chain depends on what you're trying to do. Output is not necessarily incorrect, even though forward is probably more likely.
Excessive quoting is useless and annoying. If you use it, please consider if you could do without it.

moveik
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Questions about "Use host names in firewall rules"

Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:21 pm

In newer versions you can put hostname directly in address list and system will resolve it automatically (and refresh it when its ttl expires). So it's easier and script is not needed. But if for some reason you like script better, you can keep using it.

The right chain depends on what you're trying to do. Output is not necessarily incorrect, even though forward is probably more likely.
I wasn't aware that it is possible.

I tried it and it works!!
This router is so good, I'm really glad I bought it despite of my initial concerns.

erkexzcx
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Questions about "Use host names in firewall rules"

Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:33 pm

This router is so good, I'm really glad I bought it despite of my initial concerns.
Kinda the same here. Thanks to my previous job I had to deal with Mikrotik routers. They significantly boosted my understanding of networking. :)