MikroTik App

vas
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

hAP ac3 not sending Router Advertisements, SLAAC fails

Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:42 pm

Dear Colleagues,

I've configured a static IPv6 address on the bridge interface and enabled the "Advertise" checkbox:
/ipv6 address
add address=2001:470:ecba:3::1 interface=bridge
add address=2001:470:35:7af::2 advertise=no interface=sit1

[admin@MikroTik] > /ipv6 nd prefix print 
Flags: X - disabled, I - invalid, D - dynamic 
 0 ID prefix=2001:470:ecba:3::/64 6to4-interface=none interface=bridge on-link=yes autonomous=yes valid-lifetime=4w2d preferred-lifetime=1w 
[admin@MikroTik] > 
In Wireshark, I see the Android devices sending Router Solicitations (icmpv6.type == 133) , but no Router Advertisements (icmpv6.type == 134) from the Mikrotik. Therefore SLAAC on the devices fails.

What can I be missing? Did I forget to enable something else?

It's RouterOS 6.48.

PS Just noticed that "print" shows the prefix as invalid (the "I" flag). This is probably the reason why it is not being advertised, but what can render a prefix invalid? It's just a directly connected network.

PS1 I'm kind of surprised: when my IPv6 router was a FreeBSD system, its rtadvd never failed to send Router Advertisements, I did not do anything special other than enable rtadvd and specify the interfaces to send the Router Advertisements to.

vas
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: hAP ac3 not sending Router Advertisements, SLAAC fails  [SOLVED]

Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:08 am

The problem was in IPv6 -> ND -> Interfaces. When I changed interface=all to interface=bridge, the prefix in IPv6 -> ND -> Prefixes became valid and started to be announced.

I don't know why the initial setup had configured interface=all, but it was obviously incorrect.

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Re: hAP ac3 not sending Router Advertisements, SLAAC fails

Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:38 pm

I don't know why the initial setup had configured interface=all, but it was obviously incorrect.
I just encountered this same issue for the first time. The problem is not the default interface=all - it is not incorrect. In fact, disabling the default "interface=all" and re-enabling it causes the prefix to become valid.

It is happening in RouterOS 6.48.2 in my case with hap ac2 devices.

vas
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:00 am

I just encountered this same issue for the first time. The problem is not the default interface=all - it is not incorrect. In fact, disabling the default "interface=all" and re-enabling it causes the prefix to become valid.

It is happening in RouterOS 6.48.2 in my case with hap ac2 devices.
Do you have to disable and then re-enable this setting each time you reboot your router? Or does disabling/re-enabling change something magically in the configuration?

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:21 pm

Do you have to disable and then re-enable this setting each time you reboot your router? Or does disabling/re-enabling change something magically in the configuration?
You can try it on your device - I was helping somebody remotely with this issue who was having it on several devices and disabling/re-enabling fixed it. Unfortunately I am not able to try rebooting to see if the problem comes back because I do not have access to the device myself. I think there have been reboots since but I cannot be certain.

vas
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:30 am

You can try it on your device - I was helping somebody remotely with this issue who was having it on several devices and disabling/re-enabling fixed it. Unfortunately I am not able to try rebooting to see if the problem comes back because I do not have access to the device myself. I think there have been reboots since but I cannot be certain.
Currently, when I change "Interfaces" back to "all", it does not invalidate the prefix. When I plan the next reboot, I'll try it out. I'm currently running 6.48.2.