Community discussions

MikroTik App

AshwinRox
just joined
Topic Author

CAPS Man Help Please

Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:52 am

So, I am new to all of this, and would like to know how I would figure anything out. I really want to be able to create a vlan and network controlling from multiple locations since I have to go place to place. however, that is the end goal.

Right now, I got myself a mikrotk router RB2011iL-IN and a CSS326-24G. I kind of got this setup to get my router to be able to act as a point of network access for the VLAN and then my managed switch put certain devices on separate networks to prevent one from attacking eachother. At least, this is my rudimentary understanding of network isolation.

Lastly, I picked up a cAP to put wireless access points around my house. I tried to set them up with youtube tutorials but only could get one to requisition with the cAPs Man but not broadcast any networks. I did some fiddling, and I lost it all. No idea what I'm doing but I would really like some help.

Thank you for reading my post! I appreciate it.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CAPS Man Help Please

Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:59 pm

Why did you not come first to ask advice on what to purchase based on a real set of requirements.
It seems you dont quite know what you want.

1. how many ISPs and throughputs current and future speeds
2. how many devices in the location will be on the network
3. how many wifi devices will be on the network
4. what areas are wired have connection, what areas need wifi coverage
5. Then the use cases, ( private wifi, public wifi, iot devices, cameras, etc..........) Servers, peoples specific needs (vpn to work etc).

Then a mix of equipment and design could be best formed.
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)
MTUNA Certified, by the Ascerbic Llama!

AshwinRox
just joined
Topic Author

Re: CAPS Man Help Please

Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:13 pm

Why did you not come first to ask advice on what to purchase based on a real set of requirements.
It seems you dont quite know what you want.

1. how many ISPs and throughputs current and future speeds
2. how many devices in the location will be on the network
3. how many wifi devices will be on the network
4. what areas are wired have connection, what areas need wifi coverage
5. Then the use cases, ( private wifi, public wifi, iot devices, cameras, etc..........) Servers, peoples specific needs (vpn to work etc).

Then a mix of equipment and design could be best formed.
I'll be honest. I sort of scrambled this stuff together after reading some articles and advice form an IT guy. The switch was more so I could isolate networks and eb able to see traffic and figure out why I'm having internet issues and see if I could isolate the problem. Then an office closed down and I managed to get my hands on a router they had, which I thought it would work well with my switch and act as a tunnel to my office desk.I picked up the cAP since my google mesh seems to be scrambling up my network, and figured this was a better solution to it.

Granted, I'm pretty amateur dealing with network stuff and wanted to take this opportunity to learn how to set up and operate a network. Kind of get my feet wet.

As for the questions:
  • My current ISP is at 100 mb/s and the office ISP has a new optic fiber being set up for 500 mbps. Different ISP per location, but one location has two, one as a backup
  • Each location has it's own sets of devices. Around 20. but before doing anything, I figured I'd mess with my home network first
  • The plan is to have 2 cAP points in my home to cover the entire property, but as for wireless, I only plan to have mobiles on the network and possible smart TVs. Depending on wether or not I can get an ethernet to them for hardwire so I can keep the bandwidth down from streaming
  • At my house, there are only two areas with a wired connection, that is at the modem and at the security system.
  • VPN to work, planning on building a server to house some important docs so trying to make secure connections possible. That's the future once I kind of get a handle on learning how to operate this by itself. At home I have a camera system I'd like to hook upto and create a connection from it to a network storage to store the data.
Honestly, my plans are pretty ambitious. And I figured, since this seems like a fun project to learn! And what better place than my house where I constantly have wifi and internet problems. See If i can figure that out. However right now my antivirus is picking up two instances of IP addresses from my switch and router and disconnecting me from the internet. Trying to figure out how to change or fix that without messing everything up.