Community discussions

MikroTik App

ThePilgrim
just joined
Topic Author

External OVPN Problems

Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:16 am

Hello, I've purchased a MikroTik hEX S Gigabit Ethernet Router with SFP Port (RB760iGS) for my home network and I'm using it as my router/firewall. This device has worked great until I recently found out that I have problems with connecting to a remote OpenVPN server that is using ipsec. I can connect to the remotely openvpn server but I can't connect to the Windows server using RDP. I also can not access the idrac remotely. Furthermore, I've noticed that the openvpn connection seems to disconnect and reconnect. I went thru and read some threads using the search function but I haven't come across anyone with a similar problem to my own. I know my issue is related to either a firewall filter or nat rule. I verified that it is an issue with my microtik device using and successfully connecting from a different location to my remote server with no problems. I'm completely new to routeros so I'm not sure how to resolve this issue. I even went and reset the device and regenerated a new set of firewall rules and still have the same issues. I will attach screenshots of my current config. I attempted to use torch under the tools section and I can see the port 1194 being utilized but I'm not sure what I'm missing. I even went back and tried a couple of different rules as you can see which are probably wrong.

I currently have nothing but the dummy rules listed under the mangled section as I do not know what that section is used for.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tdw
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: External OVPN Problems

Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:13 pm

OpenVPN does not use IPsec. Screenshots are not particularly helpful, they usually don't display everything. Execute /export hide-sensitive in a terminal window, post the output in a code block (the [] icon on the toolbar when posting in the forum) after redacting any public IP addresses.