Community discussions

MikroTik App

Adamzsite
Topic Author

Two SIMS in one modem.

Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:28 pm

Hi All

Im hoping you can help, i have been enjoying my lte modem for a bout two weeks and getting 70-90 mpbs download speeds, the question I cant seem to find the answer to, can you run two SIM cards at once or do you need a second modem card installing,

im useing a LtAP LTE6 kit.

Adam

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Location: South Africa, Krugersdorp (Home town of Brad Binder)

Re: Two SIMS in one modem.

Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:13 pm

Only one sim slot can be active at a time

gasola
just joined

Thu May 13, 2021 10:37 am

Hello please can you be clear.please.According yo the question he is asking.I will will also reinforce on the same question.What if I install a second modem in the LtAP LTE6 with a send SIM card installed.
Can I bridge/bond LTE interfaces 1 & 2 to get 200mbps say each interface is giving me 100mbps?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 13, 2021 2:30 pm

As @CZFan already wrote: only one SIM card can be in use by LTE modem at a time. Purpose of having two (or more) SIM cards is to change active SIM card by simple configuration change.

If one wants to double the bandwidth, another modem is needed. Then some advanced configuration to enable load-sharing between (otherwise fully independent) links. Theoretically (and statistically) such arrangement offers combined throughput which is sum of individual throughputs, in reality this doesn't happen due to multiple reasons.

gasola
just joined

Fri May 14, 2021 10:50 am

@Metod/all,

I really appreciate all the explanations and thank you very much for the support. I am new to mikrotik and now adapting to it features. Since I have the LtAP LTE6 with 2 modems & 2 installed in it.Can you show me how to do the setup of the load sharing/balancing to be able to combine the individual through from each SIM?

I preferably show me how via Winbox (video) since am not hat familiar with the terminal or script codes system. Thank you

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 14, 2021 11:11 am

For some reason, than I do not write at the moment, too long the explanation, and if some user of the forum want write... go!

>>>combine the individual through<<<
Is not possible (with standard use of the Net)

Is possible if you use the two LTE interface as bonding with another MikroTik device on DataCeter, for example.

Is possible to use some software than download the same file from more than one connection, from different IPs
but it requre specialized software (already available, for ex. GetRight).

You can at the max specify what internal IP can go on the net by IP1 or by IP2 from the two LTEs