Community discussions

MikroTik App

twixt3and20
just joined
Topic Author

hAP Lite not wanting to upgrade, nor netinstall

Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:19 pm

It didn't want to upgrade from 6.47.x to 6.48, first complaining of lack of space.

I tried the free space fix npk.

I tried uploading the new system npk via ftp - although there was a bit more free space reported than the size of the file, it stopped at about 85%. Trying again with overwrite or resume lead to 'unable to write' errors.

I tried using netinstall on a Windows PC and Linux netbook. In both cases, only the router was connected to the PC and only the PC was connected to the port 1 on the router. I tried both holding the reset button down for ages while powering on and using the "/system routerboard settings set boot-device=try-ethernet-once-then-nand" terminal command.

With Windows, despite repeated attempts the router never appeared in the devices available area. (The IP address of the PC was changed per the docs.)

With Linux, the first try produced this:
twixt@3to20 ~/mikrotik $ ./netinstall-6.48/netinstall -a 192.168.0.1 routeros-smips-6.48.npk 
connect: Network is unreachable
Using server IP: 0.0.0.0
Starting PXE server
Waiting for RouterBOARD...
bind bootp failed: Permission denied
bind tftp general failed: Permission denied
.. and stayed there until ^C stopped it.

The second try did it as root and did get interesting:
twixt@3to20 ~/mikrotik $ sudo ./netinstall-6.48/netinstall -a 192.168.0.1 routeros-smips-6.48.npk 
connect: Network is unreachable
Using server IP: 0.0.0.0
Starting PXE server
PXE client: 6C:3B:6B:68:EC:AB
FAILED TO REPLY
FAILED TO REPLY
(pair of lines repeated a few dozen times, then just..)
FAILED TO REPLY
.. until ^C.

That's the right MAC address - does this mean it wasn't really in Etherboot mode or is there some hardware problem with it?

Looking for updates in the router's quick setup page was coming up with errors sounding like 'write failure'...

twixt3and20
just joined
Topic Author

Re: hAP Lite not wanting to upgrade, nor netinstall

Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:42 pm

Just noticed that I had 192.168.0.1 as the ip address with the Linux netinstall.

If I use 192.168.88.1 instead, it's this:
twixt@3to20 ~/mikrotik $ sudo ./netinstall-6.48/netinstall -a 192.168.88.1 routeros-smips-6.48.npk 
Using server IP: 192.168.0.9
Starting PXE server
.. with that PXE line repeated about 60 times before it goes silent until I eventually ^C.

wurst
just joined

Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:39 pm

With Windows, despite repeated attempts the router never appeared in the devices available area. (The IP address of the PC was changed per the docs.)
It's not clear to me, whether your netinstall was now successful. However, I had the same issues. Unfortunately, I was not able to fix it under Linux but under Windows. So here a few hints:

1. disable all other network connections before running netinstall (even bluetooth)
2. disable Windows firewall
cf. http://alduras.com/wp/mikrotik-netinsta ... res-avoid/

3. Enable the Boot Server in netinstall (net booting) and fill in a corresponding client IP (it is not sufficient only to change the PC's IP)
cf. https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Netinstall

wurst
just joined

Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:15 am

3. Enable the Boot Server in netinstall (net booting) and fill in a corresponding client IP (it is not sufficient only to change the PC's IP)
let netinstall first "search" without boot server, and then powering it on