Community discussions

MikroTik App

darecki
just joined
Topic Author

Dual-sim router/modem changing sim based on domains

Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:06 am

Hello

Is it possible to program modem/router in a way that specific domains would go through different sim? For example youtube.com/* goes through sim1 and facebook.com/* goes through sim2

Also would it allow to simultaneously use both sims for connection if two devices would be online at the same time and each use different domains, or it would be only able to do one sim at a time?

Like for example there would be two phones connected to wifi and one is browsing youtube and other one facebook. Will they connect through each sim simultaneously or only one of them would connect?

Dariusz

krafg
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Dual-sim router/modem changing sim based on domains

Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:04 pm

You need to search information about Load Balancing. I know that you can do that you need. The most important, remember that load balancing not balance bandwidth, balance connections.

Regards.
If you want to know my network, you can find it here.

Telegram: @krafgrgi

darecki
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:19 pm

You need to search information about Load Balancing. I know that you can do that you need. The most important, remember that load balancing not balance bandwidth, balance connections.

Regards.
thanks will look into it :)

WeWiNet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:31 pm

The LTE modem can not be connected to two different mobile network operators at the same time.
So you can NOT use 2 SIMs simultaneous. You can use one or the other.
WeWiNet

MTCNA
I like a new challenge, I migrate to ROS7... :? no way, finally I stay with 6.48! I am NOT crazy :lol: !!!

krafg
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:50 pm

Yes, you can with LtAP or RBM33G using 2 LTE modems, I'm connected with 2 different ISP and load balancing connections. With torrent downloads both ISP are used simultaneously.

Regards.

darecki
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:56 pm

The LTE modem can not be connected to two different mobile network operators at the same time.
So you can NOT use 2 SIMs simultaneous. You can use one or the other.
ive already have found info that you can use two simcards simultaneously but it will require
https://mikrotik.com/product/ltap_lte6_kit or similar
and
https://mikrotik.com/product/r11e_lte6 or similar

and use of Policy Base Routing and/or forwarding table

krafg
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:40 pm

Only be carefull with the Mikrotik's LTE cards that you will install because not all combinations are working:

Info: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=163399

Regards.

WeWiNet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:49 pm

Yes, you can with LtAP or RBM33G using 2 LTE modems, I'm connected with 2 different ISP and load balancing connections. With torrent downloads both ISP are used simultaneously.
Sorry guys, indeed if you have a RB where you can install TWO LTE modems, then you can use two networks. I thought this would be clear to everybody!
I was referring to devices like LTAP Mini, which has 2 SIM card slots but only one modem, on these devices you only have one SIM card active...
WeWiNet

MTCNA
I like a new challenge, I migrate to ROS7... :? no way, finally I stay with 6.48! I am NOT crazy :lol: !!!

krafg
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:06 am

Sorry guys, indeed if you have a RB where you can install TWO LTE modems, then you can use two networks. I thought this would be clear to everybody!
I was referring to devices like LTAP Mini, which has 2 SIM card slots but only one modem, on these devices you only have one SIM card active...
LtAP mini and SXT I know that have 2 SIM ports but one modem only, anyway now you are right.
By the other hand is true that anyone needs to be careful with the number of SIM slots and the number of modems that you can install and use simultaneously. For example, LtAP have 2 miniPCIe slots + 1 USB and 3 SIM slots, so, you can install 3 modems, but you can use only 2 simultaneously. That one device have X number of SIM slots (Except 1), not means that you will can use the same number of connections simultaneously. Always do check for hardware limitations using block diagram available for download.

Regards.

darecki
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:12 pm

So im about to buy ltap lte kit and additional pcie lte modem. Only question, is there an easy "click next" guide on how to properly setup those modems, and some hint on how to make PBR settings for sites i want to be routed to specific modem? And i dont want to order hardware and sit with it trying to figure out how to configure it :P Or maybe simple demonstration on how to set up for example all facebook traffic to go through 'secondary' modem so ive could make rules for another sites im interested in :)

WeWiNet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:58 pm

maybe simple demonstration on how to set up for example all facebook traffic to go through 'secondary' modem so I could make rules for another sites im interested in :)
Since most web pages now use https traffic, it is not trivial (= impossible) to select traffic based on the site name. If this is your aim, then you better first start to look what kind of load balancing/distribution technics you actually can do before buying HW. Look up one of the load balancing tutos and wiki explanation.

Also be aware the LTAP is 2.4G Wifi only. This might be enough for your use case. But if you want to add 5Ghz Wifi module you can not add a 2nd LTE modem.
WeWiNet

MTCNA

darecki
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:21 pm

ok so ive managed to get both lte modems working, both simcards connected to the network, both had registered status, i fked something and had to factory reset ltap :) , and now only one sim card gets registered, second one(sim slot 1) wont register to the network, any idea what i did wrong :C

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:24 pm

You just need two APN Settings for differ LTE module and it's all for have 2 connections.
Of course use latest RouterOS bcs some old version have some bugs to use both lte interfaces together.
To using 2 connection and do LB etc. it's differ story. MultiWan in my fav way: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=166412&p=818011#p818011 .
MTCNA + MTCRE + MTCINE | ~600 users at ~150 RouterBoards in EMEA | Telegram: @SiB_PL | Buy me a caffe
WinBox Tip: F6 works as ALT+TAB | Gliffy.com - free network schematic | prnt.sc - free ScreenShot software