Community discussions

MikroTik App

nealaholl
just joined
Topic Author

Basic configuration problems

Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:38 am

So, I'm feeling utterly defeated by even the simplest setup at this point, and am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction. I've got a CRS326-14G-2S+RM that I would like to use for the core of a modestly complex network. At this point, I would just like to get a basic VLAN with DHCP configuration working. What I mean is, I would like to configure some of the ethernet ports (2-10, but that's a bit arbitrary) as "access" ports for VLAN 10 with a DHCP server, and to have ether1 act as a WAN port with DHCP client. The plan is to add additional VLANs to allow QoS and to segment the network to prevent unauthorized access to some resources, but I haven't even been able to get a DHCP sever to actually work. I've cribbed from pcunite's guide to VLANs, and obviously the example script is a bit stupid as it only has one VLAN and doesn't use all ports, but baby steps. Attached is the script I'm (trying) to use to build the configuration. What follows is my process, expected results, and actual results.

I've reset the CRS326 and not retained the default configuration (starting from a blank slate, right?)
With a computer connected to ether2 I upload the attached config script and run it from a WinBox terminal using /import SimpleRouter.rsc
The terminal responds with "Script file loaded and executed successfully"
I then check to see if the computer connected to ether2 correctly obtains an IP address. I have tried renewing the lease, stopping and starting the network adapter, and resetting the router. None of these things result in an IP address being assigned.

Clearly I am missing something very basic here, but I have been absolutely unable to figure it out after wasting a full day. I would greatly appreciate any help, actual functional examples (I've looked at the help docs, they are less than stellar), or ideas where to go from here. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Basic configuration problems

Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:43 am

One error in the script:
# OFFICE VLAN interface creation, IP assignment, and DHCP service
/ip address add interface=OFFICE_VLAN address=11.0.10.1/24
And I guess you do have a DNS server running @ IP address 10.0.0.1 ... Without knowing the full context, IP setup seems messy.

And you're surely aware that nothing about VLANs is going to work until you actually execute the last (commented) line:
# /interface bridge set BR1 vlan-filtering=yes
BR,
Metod

nealaholl
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:27 pm

Thanks mkx, that typo wasn't helping anything. Also, you have clearly underestimated my ignorance. I did not understand that absolutely nothing about the VLANs would work with out enabling VLAN Filtering, I'm afraid I'm still in the "don't know what I don't know" stage, so please forgive the stupid and possibly nonsensical questions I'm likely to ask. Those two things got me the expected results.

The IP address scheme is a complete hash right now, mostly because I spent far too long yesterday changing things in that script trying to get it to work (also, there's a legacy network this will either replace or augment that has a bit of an odd-ball address scheme that I haven't decided what to do about). Now that I've got the most basic block of this working I'll actually try and think through the address allocation and work on the actual VLAN setup.

For a bit more context, this unit is (probably) going to be the main router for a church I volunteer at. The office has a number of desktops, staff have some laptops and cell phones/tablets, networked printers, NAS, as well as newly (almost) installed VoIP phones. Additionally there will be open-access WiFi (I have a set of Unifi APs for that), a Unifi controller that I may setup for DNS as well, a computer we live stream services with, and some AVL production gear. I'm also trying to build out with an eye towards adding network security cameras at some point. And, because life isn't fun if it's easy, some cable runs will have to be so convoluted that they likely will exceed the max length for ethernet, so I expect to pull fiber for one or more switches at some point. If you're getting "this guy doesn't know what he's doing or what he needs" vibes from all that, you would be right. But some decisions forced my hand and I'm now trying to rush a job that I was going to build up in a "lab" environment and stage the deployment. Hence wasting other people's time with simple questions.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:58 pm

I am sure you will get plenty of help.
Best thing is to document your requirements (put them in terms of use cases, what you need individual or groups of users, or single or groups of devices to do...... and dont word them in terms of configuration.
Also provide notional network diagrams of what you have in terms of equipment and connectivity current and planned.

In this way, the folks here will have the information they need from a 'wholistic' view to ensure you get up and running in the most efficient manner possible.
GLuck..........
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)
MTUNA Certified, by the Ascerbic Llama!

georgefernandis
just joined

Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:47 pm

Thanks.......
Get the best inspirational quotes, motivational quotes, life quotes, hindi suvichar, best funny quotes, facebook status in hindi. motivational quotes in hindi

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:03 pm

If you intend to use the bridge vlan filtering method this is the best document..........
viewtopic.php?t=143620

If you intend on using the switch chip based vlan method this is a decent resource............
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj9aPoyZOPo
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)
MTUNA Certified, by the Ascerbic Llama!