Community discussions

MikroTik App

MilenGomes
just joined
Topic Author

Need some advice for a Mikrotik beginner

Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:14 am

Hey guys - recently started using Deco X60 mesh router, and came across couple of annoying things. It changes my home network's subnet from 192.168.4 to 192.168.0 and vice versa. Pretty annoying, since I have home-assistant with some IP addresses hardcoded. And I paid like 300 bucks for it

So, here I am, on quest for a 'better' router etc. Came across Mikrotik, and am impressed. Here's my use case and setup:

Would need mesh probably. Home is like 2800 sq ft all on 1 floor. And stone/brick covered walls outside that block signal in yards.

Have ethernet cables in each room, so can run wired backhaul or cables from the router to APs.

I run adguard at home, and would love to move it over to the router, instead of a virtual appliance.omegle xender
Last edited by MilenGomes on Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

erlinden
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Need some advice for a Mikrotik beginner

Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:35 am

And your question is?
What is your definition of 'better'?
And what is your definition of mesh?
First the problem, then the solution

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:03 am

If you have wires all over place, then you probably don't need to have "mesh" ... "mesh" usually means that wireless APs use wireless both to connect towards router and to serve clients. If you have wires everywhere, then you'll just connect APs to wires and run them as normal APs (you'll set up same SSID and authentication details on all of them).

No, you can't move adguard to mikrotik, you can't install any custom software to RouterOS device.
BR,
Metod

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:30 pm

I could recommend an MT router but not MT wifi.
For Access points, I would look at TP LINK eap245 as a low budget solid stable product.
I would look at their newer EAP 620 and 660 for the higher speed wifis available.

What is your ISP throughput?
Most people run DNS or adguard type stuff on rasperry pi device.
I personally dont use anything like that and if want ad protection I put it on the browser etc.......
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)
MTUNA Certified, by the Ascerbic Llama!