Community discussions

MikroTik App

cybertron
Topic Author

10G Port for Uplink

Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:58 am

Hello Mikrotik community. I've been using Mikrotik for a long time in a very very basic setup and as I grow i'm finding new seemingly basic things that I just can't get my head around for some reason. I'm going to try and not ask stupid questions that can easily be looked up, but I do need to get a bit of a sanity check as I move through changing my layout to better suit an organized network layout.

I'll try to make this as basic as possible.

I have: Cable Modem -->
Router (CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+) -->
ether1 - 1G Switch (CSS326-24G-2S+) -->
-->ether2 - 10GB Switch on ether1 (CRS317-1G-16S+) - Management IP
-->SFP1 - 10GB Switch on sfp-sfpplus1 (CRS317-1G-16S+) No IP

So I want to do some VLAN stuff and segment out my wifi and storage networks etc. However, that's far to adventurous for right now. I will get there after I've done a bit of planning etc.
So for this post, I am simply trying to understand what the best practice would be for this setup. It would be nice to put all my IPMI and switch management on a vlan of itself but again, that will come after this.
Goal: ether1 (1G) on the 10Gb switch is what I started with to manage/setup the switch and for the uplink. I now want to use the SFP+ port as the uplink, but it would be nice to leave management (sadly, on the same network right now) on ether1. And use the SFP+ as the uplink for all data traveling between the the 24port switch and the 10G switch. I have a Synology on the 24 port switch that has link agro setup so unless i'm using the SFP+ port to the 10G switch with my Vmware host and Freenas server, I won't get any speed above that 1G uplink.

Is there anyway to have two links with one being uplink and the other being mgmt? Is there a "switching" concept for next-hop? Ie: use this port for traffic, and this one for mgmt.
It seems I can also just assign the IP to the bridge and then I suppose unplug the 1G copper.

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: 10G Port for Uplink

Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:58 am

It might be best for you to read my VLAN tutorial, linked in my signature. Read slowly. It will all make sense. It shows how to mange all devices on the network. How to setup everything from scratch.

cybertron
Topic Author

Re: 10G Port for Uplink

Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:32 pm

It might be best for you to read my VLAN tutorial, linked in my signature. Read slowly. It will all make sense. It shows how to mange all devices on the network. How to setup everything from scratch.
Wow, that's a really great tutorial at a glance. I will read over it slowly after work and see where I end up. I guess it doesn't make sense to bypass the actual method I should be doing from the start. But your explanations of things look like I might actually be able to wrap my head around, especially reading slowly. :-)