Community discussions

MikroTik App

Thomas73951
just joined
Topic Author

Weird LTE and ADSL setup, is it possible?

Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:43 pm

So I have been without a broadband connection for a while so I've wired my phone (w/ unlimited data) into my hapac2's usb port. Which has been ok but speeds aren't great usually 10 down 5 up and high ping (80ms+).
I was meant to get 55mbps fttc but instead I'm getting 8mbps adsl (slow but low ping, gaming on LTE isn't fun).
I want to make use of both connections if I can because more bandwidth is needed.
I could try and manually segregate my home network into 2 and have some devices on LTE and the others on ADSL, but I've seen some users have multiple pppoe out instances:
viewtopic.php?t=164697
viewtopic.php?t=146300&sid=1a5e17897f67 ... ff629fdc5c

Would that work with an LTE + ADSL setup?
Also I'm not sure how their setups work (still learning how routerOS works) or how to translate that into LTE + ADSL.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Thomas :)

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Weird LTE and ADSL setup, is it possible?

Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:06 am

Your case is slightly different then the case from your links as both paths are completely separate (not the case with second link) and have pretty different characteristics (not the case with first link). You may get better results if using policy-based routing.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:08 pm

and yes, you can have both of them and use some policy to LoadBalance traffic or just simple FailOver.
E.g. of MultiWan viewtopic.php?f=13&t=166412&p=818011#p818011

EDIT: Remmeber that ADSL device should work as Bridge/Transparent mode. You must receive Ethernet cable from ISP and then you can do Auth by PPPoE.

Thomas73951
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:02 pm

Your case is slightly different then the case from your links as both paths are completely separate (not the case with second link) and have pretty different characteristics (not the case with first link). You may get better results if using policy-based routing.

Interesting, with this idea of policy base routing, is it possible to do it in reverse:
The link you sent shows certain connections to servers going through ADSL and other servers through LTE (for example)
Would it be possible to have connections from certain devices going through ADSL and the others going through LTE? because I think sorting that out would be more practical than working out exactly which servers I want to connect to through each connection.

Thomas73951
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:18 pm

and yes, you can have both of them and use some policy to LoadBalance traffic or just simple FailOver.
E.g. of MultiWan viewtopic.php?f=13&t=166412&p=818011#p818011

EDIT: Remmeber that ADSL device should work as Bridge/Transparent mode. You must receive Ethernet cable from ISP and then you can do Auth by PPPoE.

In terms of ADSL in, I currently have an RJ45 socket which has a cable plugged in that connects it to the provided (cheap) router which has an RJ11 (i think) socket. That router is setup with the credentials. I was planning to do what I've done before (although with an ASUS router) where:
Provided router was used as a modem: wifi off and only one ethernet cable out and into the asus router's "internet in" port. Then I think the asus router was in router mode and set to PPP client or something like that. I know that the asus router didn't have any credentials stored in it.
Is it a good idea to do it like that again? or should I plug it straight into the mikrotik's internet port and set up PPPoE with credentials?

It would be nice to have all devices use ADSL when LTE isn't up (because I don't always have my phone connected to the router) using some sort of failover as you mentioned, but I'll leave that for now and get the other stuff working first.

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:26 pm

It depends on the device provided - often they are crippled by the ISP and cannot operate as just a modem so you have to use them in router mode. However this does mean double NAT (although often not a problem these days) and makes loss of connectivity detection for failover more difficult. For ADSL you could pick up a used Vigor V120 (v2) modem pretty cheaply and configure the WAN session on the Mikrotik.

You can pick any policy-based routing you like, it just has to be possible to distil it into a set of marking rules - fixed IP addresses/lists are fine, wildcarding whole destination domains isn't possible.

Thomas73951
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:43 pm

It depends on the device provided - often they are crippled by the ISP and cannot operate as just a modem so you have to use them in router mode. However this does mean double NAT (although often not a problem these days) and makes loss of connectivity detection for failover more difficult. For ADSL you could pick up a used Vigor V120 (v2) modem pretty cheaply and configure the WAN session on the Mikrotik.

Yeah when I say as a modem, I just have the connection pass through it: ADSL from the wall socket into the ISP's router, then just take one ethernet cable out and into the router I actually want to use.

You can pick any policy-based routing you like, it just has to be possible to distil it into a set of marking rules - fixed IP addresses/lists are fine, wildcarding whole destination domains isn't possible.
So would it work if I say put in (for example) 192.168.88.240 into the marking rules? and would that go into source or destination address?

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:16 pm

Source address. You can further qualify by protocol and port, for example you could mark the destination ports for mail submission / POP3 / IMAP to use one WAN, and remaining services to use the other.

Thomas73951
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:24 pm

Source address. You can further qualify by protocol and port, for example you could mark the destination ports for mail submission / POP3 / IMAP to use one WAN, and remaining services to use the other.
Ok, thanks :)