Community discussions

MikroTik App

hoschi
just joined
Topic Author

Configuring wAP ac Mesh

Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:28 pm

Hello and good day community,
I have accepted a challenge (as it seems to me now).
I'm not a newcomer to WiFi network administration, but a total novice when it comes to microtiks (wAP ac) setup.
The variety and possibilities of the configuration really "killed" me.
Now I have reached the point where I need (some) support.

The following task I have set myself:
Set up a mesh network behind a Fritzbox, with a separate address range.
In detail:
Internet <-> Fritzbox LAN <-> Microtiks wAP ac (fixed IP 192.168.10.10 as part of the Fritzbox network))
First microtiks wAP ac , CapsMan active on this ( should be the CapsMan server for another 4 MicroTik wAP ac access points)
( Address range for the wireless connection 192.169.100.0/24 via DHCP Server)
One SSID in the mesh , Encryption WAP2 PSK.
Provision of a 2.4 gHz wlan network for using as the connection to the internet , the 5gHz network should be used for the internal mesh communication ( make this sense ?)
All wAP's have the latest FW 6.48.1.
I would like to operate the AP wired with the Fritzbox as a configuration server with CapsMan, also the wlan interfaces of this AP should be controlled via CapsMan.
Of course, it should also be accessible from the FritzBox network for administration.

All other AP's are only connected via WiFi (clearly its a mesh :D )
For me, the general question is how to proceed and where do I start with the configuration. Unfortunately, I haven't found any kind of tutorial anywhere.
I have seen that there is a quick set up for a "Home Mesh", I have activated it on the "Server".
After that, I had no access.
So what comes first, I think the wAP configuration where CapsMan is running and which the AP that is connected via cable to the FritzBox , but can I take a "Quick Setup" and what else needs to be configured "by hand"?
When this is done, do the clients (by booting in CAP mode) automatically connect to the mesh ( I read this that this will be done if I boot so)? or what else needs to be configured there?
Do all servers and clients always have to connected via LAN (i.e. wired via a switch) for configuration, or when does it run over the Wlan channel?
I would be very grateful for help.
Thank you and greetings
Hoss