Community discussions

MikroTik App

HotWaterJoe
just joined
Topic Author

Need Input For SOHO Upgrade

Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:04 pm

The boss says we have money in our budget to upgrade our network. She did not say how much she has but asked me to submit a written proposal with costs.

Here is our current network:

1. Internet is provided via broadband cable modem. Currently running at 600Mbps down and 20Mbps up. We plan to upgrade to 1Gbps down in the future.

2. Our core router is a Mikrotik RB3011UiAS-RM. Running version 6.45.9. I have never seen the RB3011 cpu higher than 3%.

3. Currently have 3 APs (RB962UiGS-5HacT2Hnt) under the control of CapsMan running on the RB3011. All 3 APs are hardwired to port 2-4 of RB3011.

4. We ran out of ports on the RB3011, so we bought a brand-x 24-port Gigabit switch. The switch is connected to the RB3011 on port 5. We are not using ports 6-10 of the RB3011.

5. Currently there are 2 servers on the switch, 4 workstations, and 2 printers.

Here are my questions:

1. Will the RB3011 carry the future 1Gbps speed?

2. What do you think of replacing the RB3011 and the switch with CRS326-24G-2S-IN?

3. Or should I tell the boss we are good to go?

Thanks for any input and thoughts.

Bill

plisken
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Need Input For SOHO Upgrade

Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:23 pm

The switch can never match the 3011. I always place a router and switch separately.
Never a combined router and switch in one unit.One addition you can make is to buy an RB4011 and use it together with a CRS326. This is my opinion.

JazzMaster
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:12 pm

Here is another option, A CCR-1009-7G-1C-1S+. This is a very robust router that offers expandability and options for your existing and future network. The cost is around $425.00.
This is just an option I thought I would throw out for you to review. I hope this helps.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:36 pm

In terms of throughput the 3011 will definitely handle a 1gig connection and has lots of RAM, no need IMHO to upgrade yet.
The suggested RB4011 (wired) will quite handily provide throughput up to 2.5gigs no issues but probably overkill.
I dont see a need at this point to replace your already existing managed switch (it would be good to let us know which one it is though).

Where you may be able to improve service is WIFI.
However I will caveat that with if you are happy with the hapacs, no issues with stability, dropouts, weak speeds, issues with IOS products, then stick with them.

It makes me wonder why the powers to be or yourself see a need to upgrade??

If the wifi is something folks complain about I would replace the APs you have with either the new TPLINK EAP620 or 660s (budget permitting and if serving a dense area (cafeteria etc), I have the EAP245s but they are solid wifi5 units whereas it one was to pay money today, the wifi6 protocol is better future proofing (longer investment value).

HotWaterJoe
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:00 am

I just think that the boss thought if we needed to upgrade she has the money now.

Bill

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:40 am

I just think that the boss thought if we needed to upgrade she has the money now.

Bill
What kind of a switch do you have? make model#
Maybe get one tpink eap660 for testing purposes and possible future deployments/purchases.

plisken
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:20 am

You can never rely on data throughput alone. You must also take into account the firewall rules, queues, mangle rules and so on. All of these must also be taken into account when determining the router.
In terms of throughput the 3011 will definitely handle a 1gig connection and has lots of RAM, no need IMHO to upgrade yet.
The suggested RB4011 (wired) will quite handily provide throughput up to 2.5gigs no issues but probably overkill.
I dont see a need at this point to replace your already existing managed switch (it would be good to let us know which one it is though).

Where you may be able to improve service is WIFI.
However I will caveat that with if you are happy with the hapacs, no issues with stability, dropouts, weak speeds, issues with IOS products, then stick with them.

If the wifi is something folks complain about I would replace the APs you have with either the new TPLINK EAP620 or 660s (budget permitting and if serving a dense area (cafeteria etc), I have the EAP245s but they are solid wifi5 units whereas it one was to pay money today, the wifi6 protocol is better future proofing (longer investment value).

rodpp

Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:17 am

It seems that your network is well dimensioned for your use. Dou you identify some points that needs improvements?

A possible upgrade path is going to a 10Gbps LAN, if there is enouth traffic/bandwidth demand between your servers and workstations, like a NAS/File Server for example.

Another one is upgrading your Internet link, as you said there are plans to 1Gbps link. You could add another link with better upload bandwidth. Look for a fiber link. Then you can configure load balance and failover, adding redundancy and better performance to your Internet access.

I think the CCR2004 connected to a 10Gbps capable switch (CRS309-1G-8S+, CRS317-1G-16S+, CRS326-24S+2Q, depending on your port demand, or even the CRS312-4C+8XG to use cooper cables) is a future proof setup for a 10Gbps network.

HotWaterJoe
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:39 am

The existing switch is an older Adtrans 1534.

WeWiNet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:50 am

If your boss has money, USE IT!

Next time you have a network problem, there is no money and you will need to buy 2nd hand stuff... (and you get blamed for not looking forward ;-))

Indeed Wifi upgrade is always good, but if you move to other brand you need to change setup, so more work and risk to failure.
And if so, you need to upgrade all AP and its controller to one brand and stick to that (and at least Wifi 6 compliant) !

Basically 3 upgrade path:
1.) Wifi upgrade to Wifi 6, with MESHing and advanceed features (would be different brand) , this would probably be the most expensive upgrade
or
2.) get a 24+ higher port switch/switch router if you think you might need that
or
3.) get Rb4011 to replace (the still good) rb3011, but have more head room for the future.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:51 pm

I beg to differ. Spending money unneccessarily is not a good business practice.
However, what is important is understanding the value of the networks, you are responsible for, TO Management?????
1. How much downtime is permissible (during the work week)
- this can be easily sorted because if you rely on one WAN/ISP only, then it cannot be mandatory 24/7 service.
2. How long will you be able to replace a switch or router?
- is there a best buy, store nearby where a switch can be quickly replaced??
3. How long would it take to reprogram a switch or router?

Therefore where I would put my money is in the following.
1. SECOND ISP if guaranteed internet is critical?
2. SERIOUS UPS for the router and switch and ISP modems. (commercial not home/soho)
3. RB4011 and keep RB3011 as a programmed hot swap for whatever contingency
4. New 24 port switch keep the adtran as a programmed hot swap for whatever contingency.
something like just an example - https://www.tp-link.com/baltic/business ... 600g-28ps/
(You have to determine the feaatures that are important - if POE+, number of ports, SFP or SFP+ additional ports for growth)
5. Replace wifi with EAP660 units (and keep existing units as programmed backups).

HotWaterJoe
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:52 pm

Thank you all for your input and suggestions. I appreciate you all for taking the time to input.

I do like the idea of UPSs for critical network gear - I should have thought of that myself! LOL

I've come to really love Mikrotik and their reliability. CapsMan really helps me see into the WiFi network.

Not sure what I'm going to do at this point. But thanks again for your input.

Bill